Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Vista Drivers > Clean up HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum section ?

Clean up HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum section ?

Michael G.

12-01-2005
If device has been installed and removed from computer, the information about this device remains in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum.

For example, if Disk On Key is pluged in 1st USB connector, removed and pluged in to 2nd, the information about will kept inside ..\Enum twice.

From some reasons I'd want to clean up ..\Enum section myself (by using back reference from appropriate services).

The question:
Can I clean up HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum section without negative outcomes ?

Thanks for help,
Michael.

Mark Roddy

12-13-2005
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:31:33 +0200, "Michael G." <> wrote:

>If device has been installed and removed from computer, the information about this device remains in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum.
>
>For example, if Disk On Key is pluged in 1st USB connector, removed and pluged in to 2nd, the information about will kept inside ..\Enum twice.
>
>From some reasons I'd want to clean up ..\Enum section myself (by using back reference from appropriate services).
>
>The question:
>Can I clean up HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum section without negative outcomes ?
>
>Thanks for help,
>Michael.

The record of your device install left in the enum key is by design.
If you want to get back to a clean system for testing purposes there
are two methods. By far the easiest is to simply reghost or reinstall
your test system. The other method is documented by MVP Don Burn
either here or on the ntdev email list, and is a set of manual
procedures for cleaning a specific driver's install left-overs from a
system. Search for his recipe.

=====================
Mark Roddy DDK MVP
Windows Vista/2003/XP/2000 Consulting
Device and Filesystem Drivers
Hollis Technology Solutions 603-321-1032
www.hollistech.com