Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Virtual PC > debian - key bounce problems

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

debian - key bounce problems

 
 
Ian Semmel
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-08-2006
Installed debian linux but when in text mode get key bounce problems like

pressing df becomes dddddddfffffff unless I just touch the keys as light as
I can.

When installing, got a lot if messages like i8253 yada yada

Is there some setting to tweak ? Maybe slow the vpc down or something ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Comer
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-08-2006
If you're running on a laptop or other computer with power management
features, this hotfix may help -- you need to call Microsoft PSS to get the
fix though. Call and ask for KB889677.

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>



"Ian Semmel" <> wrote in message
news:84A753BF-75C7-4A49-8C92-...
> Installed debian linux but when in text mode get key bounce problems like
>
> pressing df becomes dddddddfffffff unless I just touch the keys as light
> as
> I can.
>
> When installing, got a lot if messages like i8253 yada yada
>
> Is there some setting to tweak ? Maybe slow the vpc down or something ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ian Semmel
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-08-2006
Thanks for your reply. As it only happens on debian linux I will trash that
rather than going through the hotfix path.

"Robert Comer" wrote:

> If you're running on a laptop or other computer with power management
> features, this hotfix may help -- you need to call Microsoft PSS to get the
> fix though. Call and ask for KB889677.
>
> --
> Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>
>
>
>
> "Ian Semmel" <> wrote in message
> news:84A753BF-75C7-4A49-8C92-...
> > Installed debian linux but when in text mode get key bounce problems like
> >
> > pressing df becomes dddddddfffffff unless I just touch the keys as light
> > as
> > I can.
> >
> > When installing, got a lot if messages like i8253 yada yada
> >
> > Is there some setting to tweak ? Maybe slow the vpc down or something ?

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Comer
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-08-2006
It probably isn't the problem then anyway if it only happens in one VM, this
would effect everything.

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>



"Ian Semmel" <> wrote in message
news:4EA9AE5B-6BE6-4C04-B926-...
> Thanks for your reply. As it only happens on debian linux I will trash
> that
> rather than going through the hotfix path.
>
> "Robert Comer" wrote:
>
>> If you're running on a laptop or other computer with power management
>> features, this hotfix may help -- you need to call Microsoft PSS to get
>> the
>> fix though. Call and ask for KB889677.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP - Virtual Machine>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Ian Semmel" <> wrote in message
>> news:84A753BF-75C7-4A49-8C92-...
>> > Installed debian linux but when in text mode get key bounce problems
>> > like
>> >
>> > pressing df becomes dddddddfffffff unless I just touch the keys as
>> > light
>> > as
>> > I can.
>> >
>> > When installing, got a lot if messages like i8253 yada yada
>> >
>> > Is there some setting to tweak ? Maybe slow the vpc down or something ?

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
DrinkSoyMilk
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-07-2007
Did you check your System Preferences Keyboard settings? I too had seen this
problem with VPC 2007 and SuSE 10.2 and Ubuntu 7.04. While you might not be
able to permanently resolve the issue, by adjusting the delay and speed
settings, you might be able to get to something acceptable. In fact, it was
pretty bad until I did this and now things are stable. Note, in the worst
case you might be able to disable the key press repeat functionality
altogether. With Ubuntu 7.04, the delay setting is just about 45% between
short and long and the speed is about 25% between slow and fast. When typing
in the textbox to test the setting, it still didn't appear to be corrected.
However, in typing this response, I did not have a single key repeat issue.
I hope this helps.

"Ian Semmel" wrote:

> Installed debian linux but when in text mode get key bounce problems like
>
> pressing df becomes dddddddfffffff unless I just touch the keys as light as
> I can.
>
> When installing, got a lot if messages like i8253 yada yada
>
> Is there some setting to tweak ? Maybe slow the vpc down or something ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Benjamin Armstrong [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-10-2007
Check out:
http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...08/692395.aspx

Cheers,
Benjamin Armstrong
============================
Windows Virtualization Program Manager
Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/Virtual_PC_Guy
Book: http://tinyurl.com/ysxcbm

DrinkSoyMilk wrote:
> Did you check your System Preferences Keyboard settings? I too had seen this
> problem with VPC 2007 and SuSE 10.2 and Ubuntu 7.04. While you might not be
> able to permanently resolve the issue, by adjusting the delay and speed
> settings, you might be able to get to something acceptable. In fact, it was
> pretty bad until I did this and now things are stable. Note, in the worst
> case you might be able to disable the key press repeat functionality
> altogether. With Ubuntu 7.04, the delay setting is just about 45% between
> short and long and the speed is about 25% between slow and fast. When typing
> in the textbox to test the setting, it still didn't appear to be corrected.
> However, in typing this response, I did not have a single key repeat issue.
> I hope this helps.
>
> "Ian Semmel" wrote:
>
>> Installed debian linux but when in text mode get key bounce problems like
>>
>> pressing df becomes dddddddfffffff unless I just touch the keys as light as
>> I can.
>>
>> When installing, got a lot if messages like i8253 yada yada
>>
>> Is there some setting to tweak ? Maybe slow the vpc down or something ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VGA/Display/Resolution problems in Linux Debian 4.04 under vpc 2007 FACE Virtual PC 7 10-15-2008 03:33 PM
Usually problems with Windows Explorer in w2k3 over server Debian luisben Server Networking 0 03-25-2008 08:26 AM
XP home / Debian build Bob Hyam Windows Vista General Discussion 4 10-15-2007 04:18 PM
Connectivity between Linus (Debian) and Vista RC1 Thorsten Graber Windows Vista Networking 3 10-04-2006 12:51 PM
Connectivity Linux (Debian Sarge ) Vista RC1 Thorsten Graber Windows Vista Networking 1 09-11-2006 11:06 AM