Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Vista File Management > File Has Properties That Cannot Be Copies

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

File Has Properties That Cannot Be Copies

 
 
C and A Bredt
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-19-2008
I wanted to copy my Favorites to a flash drive to put on another computer.
Some of the files showed a message saying:

Property Loss
The File has properties that cannot be copied to the new location. Are you
sure you want to copy the file without its properties?
It gave me the choices = Yes, Skip, Cancel.

Any idea what's happening? Thanks, CB

--
C and A Bredt
Dell Inspiron 530
Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
Vista Home Premium

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ronnie Vernon MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-19-2008
CB

Favorites are shortcuts, you will lose some things, such as personalized
icons, etc. This is simply because the shortcut uses information that is
stored in different locations on the computer.

You can avoid this loss by using the Export Wizard in IE. Click File/Import
and Export. Click the "Export Favorites' item. Follow the instructions.

The Favorites will be saved in a file, to the location you choose as
'Bookmark.htm'.

You can use the same wizard on the target computer to import the Favorites.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-> wrote in message
news:...
>I wanted to copy my Favorites to a flash drive to put on another computer.
>Some of the files showed a message saying:
>
> Property Loss
> The File has properties that cannot be copied to the new location. Are you
> sure you want to copy the file without its properties?
> It gave me the choices = Yes, Skip, Cancel.
>
> Any idea what's happening? Thanks, CB
>
> --
> C and A Bredt
> Dell Inspiron 530
> Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
> Vista Home Premium


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff Richards
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-19-2008
The system is maintaining certain information about those files that can
only be preserved when the files exist at certain locations. When the files
are copied to a different location or to a different file system then the
system is not able to maintain that information for the copies.

Generally, if you later copy the files back to an equivalent location on
another Vista machine, the properties will be re-set to default values, and
unless you specifically know that some of them should have different values
for some properties, those defaults will be fine.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-> wrote in message
news:...
>I wanted to copy my Favorites to a flash drive to put on another computer.
>Some of the files showed a message saying:
>
> Property Loss
> The File has properties that cannot be copied to the new location. Are you
> sure you want to copy the file without its properties?
> It gave me the choices = Yes, Skip, Cancel.
>
> Any idea what's happening? Thanks, CB
>
> --
> C and A Bredt
> Dell Inspiron 530
> Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
> Vista Home Premium



 
Reply With Quote
 
C and A Bredt
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-19-2008
Thanks, CB
--
C and A Bredt
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <> wrote in message
news:B4D18658-664B-4487-8234-...
> CB
>
> Favorites are shortcuts, you will lose some things, such as personalized
> icons, etc. This is simply because the shortcut uses information that is
> stored in different locations on the computer.
>
> You can avoid this loss by using the Export Wizard in IE. Click
> File/Import and Export. Click the "Export Favorites' item. Follow the
> instructions.
>
> The Favorites will be saved in a file, to the location you choose as
> 'Bookmark.htm'.
>
> You can use the same wizard on the target computer to import the
> Favorites.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
>
> "C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-> wrote in message
> news:...
>>I wanted to copy my Favorites to a flash drive to put on another computer.
>>Some of the files showed a message saying:
>>
>> Property Loss
>> The File has properties that cannot be copied to the new location. Are
>> you sure you want to copy the file without its properties?
>> It gave me the choices = Yes, Skip, Cancel.
>>
>> Any idea what's happening? Thanks, CB
>>
>> --
>> C and A Bredt
>> Dell Inspiron 530
>> Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
>> Vista Home Premium

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary Mount
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-20-2008
When you copy files from a NTFS file system to a FAT or other none NTFS file
system, there may be properties contained in the file stream that can not be
copied because the none NTFS does not support these alternate streams
(perhaps not an accurate description, but close enough).
If the device you are copying to was formatted as NTFS, then you would not
see the message about properties not being able to be copied.
It should be okay to lose the extra properties and still have the favorites
shortcuts work just fine.

"C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-> wrote in message
news:...
> I wanted to copy my Favorites to a flash drive to put on another computer.
> Some of the files showed a message saying:
>
> Property Loss
> The File has properties that cannot be copied to the new location. Are you
> sure you want to copy the file without its properties?
> It gave me the choices = Yes, Skip, Cancel.
>
> Any idea what's happening? Thanks, CB
>
> --
> C and A Bredt
> Dell Inspiron 530
> Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
> Vista Home Premium


 
Reply With Quote
 
C and A Bredt
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-20-2008
The strange thing is that a few days earlier I copied my Favorites to the
same flash drive and did not get the message. I then added a few websites to
my Favorites and moved a few favorites into some of its subfolders, then
when I copied it I got the messages.

You're right - my computer is NTFS and the flash drive is FAT. My only
concern was that they wouldn't work properly on the other computer.

Thanks for the info, CB

--
C and A Bredt
"Gary Mount" <> wrote in message
news:...
> When you copy files from a NTFS file system to a FAT or other none NTFS
> file system, there may be properties contained in the file stream that can
> not be copied because the none NTFS does not support these alternate
> streams (perhaps not an accurate description, but close enough).
> If the device you are copying to was formatted as NTFS, then you would not
> see the message about properties not being able to be copied.
> It should be okay to lose the extra properties and still have the
> favorites shortcuts work just fine.
>
> "C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-> wrote in message
> news:...
>> I wanted to copy my Favorites to a flash drive to put on another
>> computer. Some of the files showed a message saying:
>>
>> Property Loss
>> The File has properties that cannot be copied to the new location. Are
>> you sure you want to copy the file without its properties?
>> It gave me the choices = Yes, Skip, Cancel.
>>
>> Any idea what's happening? Thanks, CB
>>
>> --
>> C and A Bredt
>> Dell Inspiron 530
>> Intel 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
>> Vista Home Premium

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modifying OEM properties listed in system properties fireman604 Windows Vista Installation 44 10-04-2008 12:04 AM
Re: Modifying OEM properties listed in system properties SIW2 Windows Vista Installation 0 09-30-2008 12:40 AM
file has properties that cannot be copied criss_123456 Windows Vista General Discussion 0 04-17-2008 01:10 PM
Cannot access properties in "local area connection properties" win Samzabrus Windows Vista Networking 2 10-09-2007 03:00 PM
Song Index Has 2 Copies of Each Song RobHalligan Windows Media Center 1 08-11-2007 02:28 PM