Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Internet Explorer > IE8: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

IE8: How do I stop advertisement tabs from opening?

 
 
jackypaper
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-29-2009
I just went to cnn.com. IE8 automatically opened a new tab to an
advertisement. My pop-up blocker is on, but apparently this doesn't prevent
new tabs from opening.

How do I prevent a tab from opening without my approval?

Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jackypaper
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-29-2009
The ad was for Netflix. I just went to ESPN, and a new tab opened for
Safecount.net, saying "This window may present you with a survey upon exit of
the site. The feedback obtained from this survey is used for research
purposes only. All results are strictly confidential."

How do I block tabs from opening without permission?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rob^_^
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-29-2009
Hijack!

Switch off any other third-party popup blockers that you may have installed
with other IE Toolbar Addons. If you have not done so already check with
your Toolbar vendors for updates (toolbar.google.com) (and switch off their
popup blockers once you have updated them).

You can test if a third-party addon is interfering with the built-in IE
popup blocker by running IE in no-Addons mode with the IE popup blocker
turned on.

Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, Tab settings button,

When a popup is encountered: X Let Internet Explorer decide how popups
should open.

Regards.





"jackypaper" <> wrote in message
news:A68EBA15-5833-4627-A726-...
> The ad was for Netflix. I just went to ESPN, and a new tab opened for
> Safecount.net, saying "This window may present you with a survey upon exit
> of
> the site. The feedback obtained from this survey is used for research
> purposes only. All results are strictly confidential."
>
> How do I block tabs from opening without permission?


 
Reply With Quote
 
PA Bear [MS MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-30-2009
You sure about that? See http://www.safecount.net/ind_overview.php

rob^_^ wrote:
> Hijack!
>
> Switch off any other third-party popup blockers that you may have
> installed
> with other IE Toolbar Addons. If you have not done so already check with
> your Toolbar vendors for updates (toolbar.google.com) (and switch off
> their
> popup blockers once you have updated them).
>
> You can test if a third-party addon is interfering with the built-in IE
> popup blocker by running IE in no-Addons mode with the IE popup blocker
> turned on.
>
> Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, Tab settings button,
>
> When a popup is encountered: X Let Internet Explorer decide how popups
> should open.
>
> Regards.
>
>
>
>
>
> "jackypaper" <> wrote in message
> news:A68EBA15-5833-4627-A726-...
>> The ad was for Netflix. I just went to ESPN, and a new tab opened for
>> Safecount.net, saying "This window may present you with a survey upon
>> exit
>> of
>> the site. The feedback obtained from this survey is used for research
>> purposes only. All results are strictly confidential."
>>
>> How do I block tabs from opening without permission?


 
Reply With Quote
 
VanguardLH
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-31-2009
jackypaper wrote:

> I just went to cnn.com. IE8 automatically opened a new tab to an
> advertisement. My pop-up blocker is on, but apparently this doesn't prevent
> new tabs from opening.
>
> How do I prevent a tab from opening without my approval?


You sure the pop-up blocker in IE is enabled? When I went to cnn.com,
yep, a pop-up tried to open but instead got blocked. The result is the
yellow infobar appeared in IE8 showing a popup got blocked (and giving
me the option to show it) along with the sound event for the blocked
popup.

Or is "my pop-up blocker" some 3rd party popup blocker? If so, you
either need to properly configure it or get a better popup blocker. The
one already in IE8 was sufficient (at its medium setting) to eliminate
the CNN popup.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE7: Yahoo advertisement blocks part of wepage kienman Internet Explorer 0 09-12-2006 06:11 AM
malicious / advertisement bookmark added to favorites Surfer Internet Explorer 1 06-06-2006 07:53 AM
how to stop pop-up advertisement windows Surfer Internet Explorer 1 06-02-2006 09:39 AM
tabs tabs tabs §tatic Internet Explorer 1 03-22-2006 04:10 AM
How can I stop getting the advertisement http://best-globosearch.c OhMac Windows Update 4 01-07-2005 03:48 AM