Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Vista General Discussion > "Important" update keeps wanting to install again

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

"Important" update keeps wanting to install again

 
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-24-2010
I keep getting offered "Security Update for Windows Vista (KB981852)" even
though I've already installed it. In fact, when I go to update history, it
shows that the update was successfully installed 10 times since 8/12/2010.
(That's every time I've turned the computer on since then!) Anybody know
how to get Windows Update to stop offering this update. I've tried the
"unchecking" the box but that doesn't seem to work. TIA!

Gary
Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
housetrained
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-24-2010
"Gary" <> wrote in message
news:#...
> I keep getting offered "Security Update for Windows Vista (KB981852)" even
> though I've already installed it. In fact, when I go to update history,
> it shows that the update was successfully installed 10 times since
> 8/12/2010. (That's every time I've turned the computer on since then!)
> Anybody know how to get Windows Update to stop offering this update. I've
> tried the "unchecking" the box but that doesn't seem to work. TIA!
>
> Gary
> Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
> www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html


I would do a system restore to the 7/12/2010 and then it will probably
install OK. If not let us know and we will go from there.
--
John the West Ham fan


<><

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gene E. Bloch
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-24-2010
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:50:28 -0500, Gary wrote:

> I keep getting offered "Security Update for Windows Vista (KB981852)" even
> though I've already installed it. In fact, when I go to update history, it
> shows that the update was successfully installed 10 times since 8/12/2010.
> (That's every time I've turned the computer on since then!) Anybody know
> how to get Windows Update to stop offering this update. I've tried the
> "unchecking" the box but that doesn't seem to work. TIA!
>
> Gary
> Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
> www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html
>


Have you tried telling Windows Update to "Ignore" this update? I'm
guessing, however, that it won't work, and you'll have to do what
housetrained suggested.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-25-2010

"Gene E. Bloch" <not-> wrote in message
news:1qxnytju3b1tq.12qg7oa45qtsr$... .
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:50:28 -0500, Gary wrote:
>
>> I keep getting offered "Security Update for Windows Vista (KB981852)"
>> even
>> though I've already installed it. In fact, when I go to update history,
>> it
>> shows that the update was successfully installed 10 times since
>> 8/12/2010.
>> (That's every time I've turned the computer on since then!) Anybody know
>> how to get Windows Update to stop offering this update. I've tried the
>> "unchecking" the box but that doesn't seem to work. TIA!
>>
>> Gary
>> Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
>> www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html
>>

>
> Have you tried telling Windows Update to "Ignore" this update? I'm
> guessing, however, that it won't work, and you'll have to do what
> housetrained suggested.
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)


Thanks for the replies, Gene & housetrained! I haven't been successful at
trying to hide the update so I guess that I'll try the system restore. But,
is there a reason to go back to July rather than August? Thanks, again!

--

Gary
Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
housetrained
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-25-2010
no reason - my mistake - 10 august should be fine.
if you don't need an unimportant update right click and the option to not
get it again appears. But only do this for optional ones NOT important ones.

--
John the West Ham fan


<><


"Gary" <> wrote in message
news:#...
>
> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-> wrote in message
> news:1qxnytju3b1tq.12qg7oa45qtsr$... .
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:50:28 -0500, Gary wrote:
>>
>>> I keep getting offered "Security Update for Windows Vista (KB981852)"
>>> even
>>> though I've already installed it. In fact, when I go to update history,
>>> it
>>> shows that the update was successfully installed 10 times since
>>> 8/12/2010.
>>> (That's every time I've turned the computer on since then!) Anybody
>>> know
>>> how to get Windows Update to stop offering this update. I've tried the
>>> "unchecking" the box but that doesn't seem to work. TIA!
>>>
>>> Gary
>>> Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
>>> www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html
>>>

>>
>> Have you tried telling Windows Update to "Ignore" this update? I'm
>> guessing, however, that it won't work, and you'll have to do what
>> housetrained suggested.
>>
>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

>
> Thanks for the replies, Gene & housetrained! I haven't been successful at
> trying to hide the update so I guess that I'll try the system restore.
> But, is there a reason to go back to July rather than August? Thanks,
> again!
>
> --
>
> Gary
> Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
> www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-26-2010

"housetrained" <> wrote in message
news:4c755f15$0$12267$...
> no reason - my mistake - 10 august should be fine.
> if you don't need an unimportant update right click and the option to not
> get it again appears. But only do this for optional ones NOT important
> ones.
>
> --
> John the West Ham fan
>
>
> <><
>
>
> "Gary" <> wrote in message
> news:#...
>>
>> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-> wrote in message
>> news:1qxnytju3b1tq.12qg7oa45qtsr$... .
>>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:50:28 -0500, Gary wrote:
>>>
>>>> I keep getting offered "Security Update for Windows Vista (KB981852)"


Thanks, I'll try that!

--

Gary
Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html


>>>> even
>>>> though I've already installed it. In fact, when I go to update
>>>> history, it
>>>> shows that the update was successfully installed 10 times since
>>>> 8/12/2010.
>>>> (That's every time I've turned the computer on since then!) Anybody
>>>> know
>>>> how to get Windows Update to stop offering this update. I've tried the
>>>> "unchecking" the box but that doesn't seem to work. TIA!
>>>>
>>>> Gary
>>>> Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
>>>> www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html
>>>>
>>>
>>> Have you tried telling Windows Update to "Ignore" this update? I'm
>>> guessing, however, that it won't work, and you'll have to do what
>>> housetrained suggested.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

>>
>> Thanks for the replies, Gene & housetrained! I haven't been successful
>> at trying to hide the update so I guess that I'll try the system restore.
>> But, is there a reason to go back to July rather than August? Thanks,
>> again!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Gary
>> Visit our website and do the jigsaw puzzle at
>> www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html
>>
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Update Keeps wanting to install the same patch. KB94430 garywi Windows Vista Security 5 11-30-2008 04:42 AM
Validation - Again and Again and Again.....and Again recurring barrowhill Windows Update 8 12-11-2007 07:22 PM
KB925672 update keeps wanting to install again and again Todd Virlee Windows Server 4 05-22-2007 03:49 PM
Keeps wanting to install BITS update again Mike Windows Update 0 02-02-2006 10:35 PM
KB898461 successfull but keeps wanting to do it again msiebels Windows Update 10 12-22-2005 09:18 PM