Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Server > Windows Small Business Server > My Documents folder redirection in SBS 2003

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

My Documents folder redirection in SBS 2003

 
 
Kbird
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-02-2004
I am having trouble with redirecting My Documents folder. I have a brand new
Small Business Server 2003 and 15 new desktops running Windows XP Pro. I am
pretty sure I set the Policy right, since I have done this before. However,
the folders are not redirecting. The event logs on the server and the
desktops are reporting the same 2 errors back to back. I get Event ID
101(source: Folder Redirection) and then Event ID 1085(source: Userenv). The
Event 101 is saying that Access is Denied in regards to creating or moving
items to the new location.

DNS seems to be set up OK. I checked the Time Synch situation. I ran
gpupdate and regsvr32 on the dektops without success.

Can anyone help me please???

Thanks,

Kbird
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-02-2004
In Server Management under Shares (local) there is a link on the right side
of the page for "Configure My Documents Redirection". Is this what you used
to set up the redirection?

--
Merv Porter [SBS MVP]
===================================
"Kbird" <> wrote in message
news:8F62936A-302B-4762-9B47-...
> I am having trouble with redirecting My Documents folder. I have a brand

new
> Small Business Server 2003 and 15 new desktops running Windows XP Pro. I

am
> pretty sure I set the Policy right, since I have done this before.

However,
> the folders are not redirecting. The event logs on the server and the
> desktops are reporting the same 2 errors back to back. I get Event ID
> 101(source: Folder Redirection) and then Event ID 1085(source: Userenv).

The
> Event 101 is saying that Access is Denied in regards to creating or moving
> items to the new location.
>
> DNS seems to be set up OK. I checked the Time Synch situation. I ran
> gpupdate and regsvr32 on the dektops without success.
>
> Can anyone help me please???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kbird



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Nagle
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-02-2004
Are you trying to redirect them to a folder on the SBS Box? If so, one of
the choices in the Server Management /backup wizard allows you to redirect
the My documents folders on clients to be located on a share on the SBS box.

Hope this helps

Chris Nagle

"Kbird" <> wrote in message
news:8F62936A-302B-4762-9B47-...
>I am having trouble with redirecting My Documents folder. I have a brand
>new
> Small Business Server 2003 and 15 new desktops running Windows XP Pro. I
> am
> pretty sure I set the Policy right, since I have done this before.
> However,
> the folders are not redirecting. The event logs on the server and the
> desktops are reporting the same 2 errors back to back. I get Event ID
> 101(source: Folder Redirection) and then Event ID 1085(source: Userenv).
> The
> Event 101 is saying that Access is Denied in regards to creating or moving
> items to the new location.
>
> DNS seems to be set up OK. I checked the Time Synch situation. I ran
> gpupdate and regsvr32 on the dektops without success.
>
> Can anyone help me please???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kbird



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.749 / Virus Database: 501 - Release Date: 9/1/2004


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kbird
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-02-2004
No, I used the Group Polcy Object Editor snap-in. I chose the default domain
policy.

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> In Server Management under Shares (local) there is a link on the right side
> of the page for "Configure My Documents Redirection". Is this what you used
> to set up the redirection?
>
> --
> Merv Porter [SBS MVP]
> ===================================
> "Kbird" <> wrote in message
> news:8F62936A-302B-4762-9B47-...
> > I am having trouble with redirecting My Documents folder. I have a brand

> new
> > Small Business Server 2003 and 15 new desktops running Windows XP Pro. I

> am
> > pretty sure I set the Policy right, since I have done this before.

> However,
> > the folders are not redirecting. The event logs on the server and the
> > desktops are reporting the same 2 errors back to back. I get Event ID
> > 101(source: Folder Redirection) and then Event ID 1085(source: Userenv).

> The
> > Event 101 is saying that Access is Denied in regards to creating or moving
> > items to the new location.
> >
> > DNS seems to be set up OK. I checked the Time Synch situation. I ran
> > gpupdate and regsvr32 on the dektops without success.
> >
> > Can anyone help me please???
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kbird

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kbird
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-02-2004
I am trying to redirect them to the SBS box by using Group Policy.

"Chris Nagle" wrote:

> Are you trying to redirect them to a folder on the SBS Box? If so, one of
> the choices in the Server Management /backup wizard allows you to redirect
> the My documents folders on clients to be located on a share on the SBS box.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Chris Nagle
>
> "Kbird" <> wrote in message
> news:8F62936A-302B-4762-9B47-...
> >I am having trouble with redirecting My Documents folder. I have a brand
> >new
> > Small Business Server 2003 and 15 new desktops running Windows XP Pro. I
> > am
> > pretty sure I set the Policy right, since I have done this before.
> > However,
> > the folders are not redirecting. The event logs on the server and the
> > desktops are reporting the same 2 errors back to back. I get Event ID
> > 101(source: Folder Redirection) and then Event ID 1085(source: Userenv).
> > The
> > Event 101 is saying that Access is Denied in regards to creating or moving
> > items to the new location.
> >
> > DNS seems to be set up OK. I checked the Time Synch situation. I ran
> > gpupdate and regsvr32 on the dektops without success.
> >
> > Can anyone help me please???
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kbird

>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.749 / Virus Database: 501 - Release Date: 9/1/2004
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-02-2004
One possible reason for an access denied condition is if you request the
redirection to include the option on the second panel of the GP item which
say "Grant exclusive access" (or something to that affect), yet the shared
folder location allows for expanded access for more than just that user.
This creates a policy violation in that your requested security enforcement
isn't met, so it denies the policy to run.

Check these two Kbs for an explanation of what I'm refering to:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=win2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=win2000

"Kbird" <> wrote in message
news:8F62936A-302B-4762-9B47-...
> I am having trouble with redirecting My Documents folder. I have a brand

new
> Small Business Server 2003 and 15 new desktops running Windows XP Pro. I

am
> pretty sure I set the Policy right, since I have done this before.

However,
> the folders are not redirecting. The event logs on the server and the
> desktops are reporting the same 2 errors back to back. I get Event ID
> 101(source: Folder Redirection) and then Event ID 1085(source: Userenv).

The
> Event 101 is saying that Access is Denied in regards to creating or moving
> items to the new location.
>
> DNS seems to be set up OK. I checked the Time Synch situation. I ran
> gpupdate and regsvr32 on the dektops without success.
>
> Can anyone help me please???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kbird



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Folder Redirection Error with Documents folder Kenny Active Directory 1 08-19-2008 04:42 PM
Disk Quotas - My Documents Folder Redirection - Recycler Folder Scott Windows Server 0 06-10-2008 01:40 PM
My Documents folder redirection to shared folder Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] Active Directory 8 04-23-2007 08:24 PM
My Documents Redirection problem, documents disapear Kathy Slowinski Windows Small Business Server 2 10-17-2005 08:19 AM
RE: My Documents Folder Redirection - Windows SBS 2003 Brandy Nee [MSFT] Windows Small Business Server 0 07-04-2005 09:21 AM