Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Server > Off-Line Files Tips

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Off-Line Files Tips

 
 
Mojo
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-29-2009
Hi All

I know this is probably old hat to you, but I have a Win2003 server to WinXP
Pro SP2/3 clients setup and I've inherited a config whereby the user's My
Docs is redirected from a server location (which is fine for wired machines)
but user's laptops are set for off-line access so that they can take them
home, do work, come back in and sync, etc.

Now in theory the process seems nice and straightforward, but I can't
believe that this Microsoft default setup of ticking Enable Offline files
just works 100% so I just wanted to know if anybdoy had any tips/tricks re
this process.

I've noticed that even though I can right-click on any folder in a user's My
Docs and see Make Available Offline, it is disabled so I can't actually
select certain folders to be un-synced. Do you just have to live with this?

It would be great to let my users know that they can put any personal
videos, pics, music, etc in a specific My Docs folder knowing full well
their 20GB of crap won't bring my network to a grinding halt, but the
ability to be selective with your folders doesn't seem to be an option.

Another thing how come you can change the 'Amount of disk space...' slider
bar to a greater value only to find it goes back to the default setting
anyway - whats the point of that??

Is there a defacto size for how big a My Docs folder should be - overall
size and number of files wise??

Many thanks for any info you can give.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-29-2009
Hello Mojo,

Check this article from Ace about folder redirection and Offline files, maybe
it helps you:
================================================== ================================================== ==

Folder Redirection

By Ace Fekay, MCSE, MCT

Updated 7/22/08

I believe Folder Redirection with using Offline Files will be the better
solution for many environments. I have it implemented in all my customer
sites. All data with redirection set, as well as offline files, are cached
locally and only synch up at scheduled, manually set times, or when logging
on or off. It vastly reduces client to server traffic. Here are some links
regarding redirection.

Using Folder Redirection for the My Docs, App data, Start Menu and Desktop,
a user will get their data no matter where they login. Enabling Offline Files
as well, will provide an additional performance increase on the user side,
as well as the ability to take machines off-site (such as laptops) and the
folks will have their data no matter where they are. However, I usually just
implement Folder Redirection with the My Documents folder, and not the others,
due to the overhead of data and backup capacities on the server. You know
how large the application folder can get, and not always a good choice to
implement redirection with. Keep that in mind when you implement this feature.

There are a few things that need to be setup in place to make redirection
work. If in a mixed Vista/XP environment, as many are going through right
now, it may be a little challenging, but they can use the same home folder
setting, but the user must stick with one OS or the other, not logon to an
XP, then to a Vista, or things may get skewed.

1. The user accounts need to be in the OU the Redirection Policy will apply
to. It doesn't matter where the computer accounts are. This is because Redirection
is a User based Policy.

2. More than likely, the Redirection policy is probably setup to apply to
a group. Therefore, make sure the user account is part of that group.

3. Only the internal DNS servers must show up in a machine's IP properties.

4. They way I setup the shares, is create a root folder called Users. I share
it out as Users$ and set share permissions to only System=FC and Domain Admins=FC.

5. Then I would create child folders, one for each user. For example, for
a user named Bill, I create a Bill folder, then share it out as Bill$, and
set the share permissions to Domain Admins=FC, System=FC, and Bill=FC. The
share permissions for the user MUST BE FC or it won't work. Then I set the
NTFS permissions (the Security tab), to Domain Admins=FC, System=FC, and
Bill=FC. The user MUST have FC for both the share and the NTFS permissions.

6. In the user's AD properties, Profile tab, you want to configure a home
folder, and this is assuming you want their stuff redirected to the home
folder, such as clicking on G, H, or whatever letter, then configuring something
like \\servername\%username%$ (the $ makes it hidden). Whether to hide it
or not depends on corporate SOP. The %username% is a variable that will create
the folder for you, but I usually do it manually, as in the previous steps.

7. Create the Redirect policy based on the group membership, for example
the My Documents folder, should be redirected to \\servername\username$\.
You can also create it as \\servername\username$\MyDocuments Documents, which
I like because their data goes into a subfolder under the user folder as
My Documents. Now many places simply use \\servername\username$ and is easy,
and it works. However, with this method, ALL of their documents wind up directly
in the root of the home folder. However, this could be a little problematic
with Vista. For more info on Vista and XP in a mixed environment, and problems
that may occur, read the bottom to articles in the list of links provided
below.

8. In the policy, select "Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same
location. For the target folder location, Redirect to the following location,
and it will create a UNC in the form of: \\%HOMESERVER%%HOMEPATH%. Under
the settings tab, check the box that says Grant the user exclusive rights
to My Docs. Also select to Move the Contents, as well as Leave the Folder
in the new location when the policy is removed.

9. I usually create a logon bat script, place it in the NETLOGON share, and
specify the script name in thier AD properties, to manually map the same
drive letter specified under the Profile tab for the home folder to the home
folder, such as with a command line of "net use h: \\servername\username$".
It can also be done using VB and a logon script in their GPOs. The script
normally does multiple other things as well. I'm just pointing out this portion
of it. It is your choice of using VB, CMD or bat files when creating a script.

10. Enable Offline Use for the redirected My Documents.

11. Repeat for the other folders, if you choose to include them. I would
set them to use subfolders, such as Application Data, so the data doesn't
get intermixed with the My Docs.

Links for more information and specifics:

Recommendations for Folder Redirection: Group Policy http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc785925.aspx

Folder Redirection feature in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232692

How To Configure Folder Redirection, Aug 22, 2007 ... How to use Group Policy
to redirect the "Desktop", "My Documents", "Start Menu" and "Application
Data" folders. http://www.msterminalservices.org/ar...direction.html

How to Configure Folder Redirection
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc782799.aspx

How To Configure Folder Redirection
http://www.msterminalservices.org/ar...direction.html

User Profiles and Folder Redirection FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...anage_faq.mspx

Enabling the administrator to have access to redirected folders http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288991

Folder Redirection in a mixed environment XP/Vista http://www.gpanswers.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2257

When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based computer
to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947222/en-us

Profile and Folder Redirection In Windows Server 2003 (Explains the differences
between a Roaming profile and a non-roaming profile, recommending to not
use Roaming Profiles and just use Folder Redirection:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...rver-2003.html

---

Folder Redirection with Terminal Services:

Keep in mind, There's no problem in using TS Roaming Profiles, but if you
want users' Documents and Desktops to work, you need to combine the feature
with Folder Redirection on all the servers and workstations so all user folders
are redirected to the same place. It's recommended to not use Roaming Profiles
because of the added complexity.

How To Configure Folder RedirectionAug 22, 2007 ... How to use Group Policy
to redirect the "Desktop", "My Documents", "Start Menu" and "Application
Data" folders.

http://www.msterminalservices.org/.....direction.html

Terminal Service Administration and Folder RedirectionJun 6, 2006 ... If
Remote Desktop for Administration is enabled on a server that's running Windows
Server 2003, then the server can not be configured to use ...

http://www.msterminalservices.org/.....direction.html

Using Folder Redirection with Terminal Server: Terminal ServicesMar 28, 2003
.... Folder Redirection allows users and administrators to redirect the path
of a folder to a new location. The new location can be a folder on ...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...67(WS.10).aspx

Best practices for Folder Redirection: Group PolicyJan 21, 2005 ...

In general, accept the default Folder Redirection settings. ... Logging off
the terminal server causes copying to occur in the opposite ...

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739647(WS.10).aspx

Profile and Folder Redirection In Windows Server 2003Mar 1, 2005 ... For
example, if you created a share named PROFILES on a server named TAZ, then
the path to Brien's profile ... The actual folder redirection is done through
the group policy. ... Terminal Servers · Thin Client Servers ...

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/......rver-2003.html

Folder Redirection and Terminal Server Users : 1 author 4 posts - Last post:
Jun 1, 2004 - Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policyL

We currently utilize folder redirection ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/21...l-server-users

==============================

Ace


Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Hi All
>
> I know this is probably old hat to you, but I have a Win2003 server to
> WinXP Pro SP2/3 clients setup and I've inherited a config whereby the
> user's My Docs is redirected from a server location (which is fine for
> wired machines) but user's laptops are set for off-line access so that
> they can take them home, do work, come back in and sync, etc.
>
> Now in theory the process seems nice and straightforward, but I can't
> believe that this Microsoft default setup of ticking Enable Offline
> files just works 100% so I just wanted to know if anybdoy had any
> tips/tricks re this process.
>
> I've noticed that even though I can right-click on any folder in a
> user's My Docs and see Make Available Offline, it is disabled so I
> can't actually select certain folders to be un-synced. Do you just
> have to live with this?
>
> It would be great to let my users know that they can put any personal
> videos, pics, music, etc in a specific My Docs folder knowing full
> well their 20GB of crap won't bring my network to a grinding halt, but
> the ability to be selective with your folders doesn't seem to be an
> option.
>
> Another thing how come you can change the 'Amount of disk space...'
> slider bar to a greater value only to find it goes back to the default
> setting anyway - whats the point of that??
>
> Is there a defacto size for how big a My Docs folder should be -
> overall size and number of files wise??
>
> Many thanks for any info you can give.
>




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mojo
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-30-2009
Thank you


"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message
news: .com...
Hello Mojo,

Check this article from Ace about folder redirection and Offline files,
maybe
it helps you:
================================================== ================================================== ==

Folder Redirection

By Ace Fekay, MCSE, MCT

Updated 7/22/08

I believe Folder Redirection with using Offline Files will be the better
solution for many environments. I have it implemented in all my customer
sites. All data with redirection set, as well as offline files, are cached
locally and only synch up at scheduled, manually set times, or when logging
on or off. It vastly reduces client to server traffic. Here are some links
regarding redirection.

Using Folder Redirection for the My Docs, App data, Start Menu and Desktop,
a user will get their data no matter where they login. Enabling Offline
Files
as well, will provide an additional performance increase on the user side,
as well as the ability to take machines off-site (such as laptops) and the
folks will have their data no matter where they are. However, I usually just
implement Folder Redirection with the My Documents folder, and not the
others,
due to the overhead of data and backup capacities on the server. You know
how large the application folder can get, and not always a good choice to
implement redirection with. Keep that in mind when you implement this
feature.

There are a few things that need to be setup in place to make redirection
work. If in a mixed Vista/XP environment, as many are going through right
now, it may be a little challenging, but they can use the same home folder
setting, but the user must stick with one OS or the other, not logon to an
XP, then to a Vista, or things may get skewed.

1. The user accounts need to be in the OU the Redirection Policy will apply
to. It doesn't matter where the computer accounts are. This is because
Redirection
is a User based Policy.

2. More than likely, the Redirection policy is probably setup to apply to
a group. Therefore, make sure the user account is part of that group.

3. Only the internal DNS servers must show up in a machine's IP properties.

4. They way I setup the shares, is create a root folder called Users. I
share
it out as Users$ and set share permissions to only System=FC and Domain
Admins=FC.

5. Then I would create child folders, one for each user. For example, for
a user named Bill, I create a Bill folder, then share it out as Bill$, and
set the share permissions to Domain Admins=FC, System=FC, and Bill=FC. The
share permissions for the user MUST BE FC or it won't work. Then I set the
NTFS permissions (the Security tab), to Domain Admins=FC, System=FC, and
Bill=FC. The user MUST have FC for both the share and the NTFS permissions.

6. In the user's AD properties, Profile tab, you want to configure a home
folder, and this is assuming you want their stuff redirected to the home
folder, such as clicking on G, H, or whatever letter, then configuring
something
like \\servername\%username%$ (the $ makes it hidden). Whether to hide it
or not depends on corporate SOP. The %username% is a variable that will
create
the folder for you, but I usually do it manually, as in the previous steps.

7. Create the Redirect policy based on the group membership, for example
the My Documents folder, should be redirected to \\servername\username$\.
You can also create it as \\servername\username$\MyDocuments Documents,
which
I like because their data goes into a subfolder under the user folder as
My Documents. Now many places simply use \\servername\username$ and is easy,
and it works. However, with this method, ALL of their documents wind up
directly
in the root of the home folder. However, this could be a little problematic
with Vista. For more info on Vista and XP in a mixed environment, and
problems
that may occur, read the bottom to articles in the list of links provided
below.

8. In the policy, select "Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same
location. For the target folder location, Redirect to the following
location,
and it will create a UNC in the form of: \\%HOMESERVER%%HOMEPATH%. Under
the settings tab, check the box that says Grant the user exclusive rights
to My Docs. Also select to Move the Contents, as well as Leave the Folder
in the new location when the policy is removed.

9. I usually create a logon bat script, place it in the NETLOGON share, and
specify the script name in thier AD properties, to manually map the same
drive letter specified under the Profile tab for the home folder to the home
folder, such as with a command line of "net use h: \\servername\username$".
It can also be done using VB and a logon script in their GPOs. The script
normally does multiple other things as well. I'm just pointing out this
portion
of it. It is your choice of using VB, CMD or bat files when creating a
script.

10. Enable Offline Use for the redirected My Documents.

11. Repeat for the other folders, if you choose to include them. I would
set them to use subfolders, such as Application Data, so the data doesn't
get intermixed with the My Docs.

Links for more information and specifics:

Recommendations for Folder Redirection: Group Policy
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc785925.aspx

Folder Redirection feature in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232692

How To Configure Folder Redirection, Aug 22, 2007 ... How to use Group
Policy
to redirect the "Desktop", "My Documents", "Start Menu" and "Application
Data" folders.
http://www.msterminalservices.org/ar...direction.html

How to Configure Folder Redirection
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc782799.aspx

How To Configure Folder Redirection
http://www.msterminalservices.org/ar...direction.html

User Profiles and Folder Redirection FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...anage_faq.mspx

Enabling the administrator to have access to redirected folders
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288991

Folder Redirection in a mixed environment XP/Vista
http://www.gpanswers.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2257

When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based computer
to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947222/en-us

Profile and Folder Redirection In Windows Server 2003 (Explains the
differences
between a Roaming profile and a non-roaming profile, recommending to not
use Roaming Profiles and just use Folder Redirection:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...rver-2003.html

---

Folder Redirection with Terminal Services:

Keep in mind, There's no problem in using TS Roaming Profiles, but if you
want users' Documents and Desktops to work, you need to combine the feature
with Folder Redirection on all the servers and workstations so all user
folders
are redirected to the same place. It's recommended to not use Roaming
Profiles
because of the added complexity.

How To Configure Folder RedirectionAug 22, 2007 ... How to use Group Policy
to redirect the "Desktop", "My Documents", "Start Menu" and "Application
Data" folders.

http://www.msterminalservices.org/.....direction.html

Terminal Service Administration and Folder RedirectionJun 6, 2006 ... If
Remote Desktop for Administration is enabled on a server that's running
Windows
Server 2003, then the server can not be configured to use ...

http://www.msterminalservices.org/.....direction.html

Using Folder Redirection with Terminal Server: Terminal ServicesMar 28, 2003
.... Folder Redirection allows users and administrators to redirect the path
of a folder to a new location. The new location can be a folder on ...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...67(WS.10).aspx

Best practices for Folder Redirection: Group PolicyJan 21, 2005 ...

In general, accept the default Folder Redirection settings. ... Logging off
the terminal server causes copying to occur in the opposite ...

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739647(WS.10).aspx

Profile and Folder Redirection In Windows Server 2003Mar 1, 2005 ... For
example, if you created a share named PROFILES on a server named TAZ, then
the path to Brien's profile ... The actual folder redirection is done
through
the group policy. ... Terminal Servers · Thin Client Servers ...

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/......rver-2003.html

Folder Redirection and Terminal Server Users : 1 author 4 posts - Last post:
Jun 1, 2004 - Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policyL

We currently utilize folder redirection ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/21...l-server-users

==============================

Ace


Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Hi All
>
> I know this is probably old hat to you, but I have a Win2003 server to
> WinXP Pro SP2/3 clients setup and I've inherited a config whereby the
> user's My Docs is redirected from a server location (which is fine for
> wired machines) but user's laptops are set for off-line access so that
> they can take them home, do work, come back in and sync, etc.
>
> Now in theory the process seems nice and straightforward, but I can't
> believe that this Microsoft default setup of ticking Enable Offline
> files just works 100% so I just wanted to know if anybdoy had any
> tips/tricks re this process.
>
> I've noticed that even though I can right-click on any folder in a
> user's My Docs and see Make Available Offline, it is disabled so I
> can't actually select certain folders to be un-synced. Do you just
> have to live with this?
>
> It would be great to let my users know that they can put any personal
> videos, pics, music, etc in a specific My Docs folder knowing full
> well their 20GB of crap won't bring my network to a grinding halt, but
> the ability to be selective with your folders doesn't seem to be an
> option.
>
> Another thing how come you can change the 'Amount of disk space...'
> slider bar to a greater value only to find it goes back to the default
> setting anyway - whats the point of that??
>
> Is there a defacto size for how big a My Docs folder should be -
> overall size and number of files wise??
>
> Many thanks for any info you can give.
>





 
Reply With Quote
 
Ace Fekay [MCT]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-31-2009
"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message
news: .com...

Hi Meinolf,

I recently updated the article. The changes made start at step 6 (posted
below). I added two additional steps as well. I thought to post it to update
anyone who has a copy of it!

Thanks!!

Cheers!

Ace

--
(Updated 7/30/2009)

6. In the user's AD properties, Profile tab, you want to configure a home
folder, and this is assuming you want their stuff redirected to the home
folder, such as clicking on G, H, or whatever letter, then configuring
something like \\servername\%username%$ (the $ makes it hidden). Whether to
hide it or not depends on corporate SOP. The %username% is a variable that
will create the folder for you, but I usually do it manually, as in the
previous steps.

7. Create an AD group, call it (for example), "My Docs Redirect Group."
Create the Redirect policy based on the group membership, for example the My
Documents folder, should be redirected to \\servername\username$\. You can
also create it as \\servername\username$\MyDocuments Documents, which I like
because their data goes into a subfolder under the user folder as My
Documents. This require additional testing on your part to make sure the
respective data goes into the folders you've specified. However, many
installations simply specify the Home folder, \\servername\username$, which
is easy, and and it works well. I've been using this method myself (outlined
in the next step), however, with this method, ALL of their documents wind up
directly in the root of the home folder. However, this could be a little
problematic with Vista. For more info on Vista and XP in a mixed
environment, and problems that may occur, please read the links at the
bottom of this article that will provide additional information on how to
handle this issue.

8. In the My Documents policy setting, select "Advanced - Specify Location
based on various User Groups. Add the AD group you just created. For the
target folder location, Redirect to the Home Folder. After you click OK, it
will display a UNC in the form of: \\%HOMESERVER%%HOMEPATH%. Under the
settings tab, check the box that says Grant the user exclusive rights to My
Docs. Also select to Move the Contents, as well as Leave the Folder in the
new location when the policy is removed.

9. I usually create a logon bat script, place it in the NETLOGON share, and
specify the script name in thier AD properties, to manually map the same
drive letter specified under the Profile tab for the home folder to the home
folder, such as with a command line of "net use h: \\servername\username$".
It can also be done using VB and a logon script in their GPOs. The script
normally does multiple other things as well. I'm just pointing out this
portion of it. It is your choice of using VB, CMD or bat files when creating
a script.

10. Enable Offline Use for the redirected My Documents.

11. Repeat for the other folders, if you choose to include them. I would set
them to use subfolders, such as Application Data, so the data doesn't get
intermixed with the My Docs.

12. Link the GPO to the OU you want it to apply to. Keep in mind, it will
not work until you add the users that you want it to apply to, to the My
Docs Redirect Group, that you've created.

13. If you ever need to move the Users folder location to a new server,
simply mirror the shared folders and permissions from the old server on the
new server drive (no need to copy the data), and change the policy to point
to the new UNC. Next time the user logs on, the data will be moved
automatically. The larger the amount of data, the longer it will take. For
example, one customer had a 10 GB home folder. It took about 20 minutes to
move, however the user was able to work. Some of the files weren't available
immediately, but they eventually showed up.


--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum to benefit from collaboration
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer

http://twitter.com/acefekay

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please
check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-31-2009
Hello Ace Fekay [MCT],

Thanks for that. Will update:-)

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message
> news: .com...
>
> Hi Meinolf,
>
> I recently updated the article. The changes made start at step 6
> (posted below). I added two additional steps as well. I thought to
> post it to update anyone who has a copy of it!
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ace
>
> --
> (Updated 7/30/2009)
> 6. In the user's AD properties, Profile tab, you want to configure a
> home folder, and this is assuming you want their stuff redirected to
> the home folder, such as clicking on G, H, or whatever letter, then
> configuring something like \\servername\%username%$ (the $ makes it
> hidden). Whether to hide it or not depends on corporate SOP. The
> %username% is a variable that will create the folder for you, but I
> usually do it manually, as in the previous steps.
>
> 7. Create an AD group, call it (for example), "My Docs Redirect
> Group." Create the Redirect policy based on the group membership, for
> example the My Documents folder, should be redirected to
> \\servername\username$\. You can also create it as
> \\servername\username$\MyDocuments Documents, which I like because
> their data goes into a subfolder under the user folder as My
> Documents. This require additional testing on your part to make sure
> the respective data goes into the folders you've specified. However,
> many installations simply specify the Home folder,
> \\servername\username$, which is easy, and and it works well. I've
> been using this method myself (outlined in the next step), however,
> with this method, ALL of their documents wind up directly in the root
> of the home folder. However, this could be a little problematic with
> Vista. For more info on Vista and XP in a mixed environment, and
> problems that may occur, please read the links at the bottom of this
> article that will provide additional information on how to handle this
> issue.
>
> 8. In the My Documents policy setting, select "Advanced - Specify
> Location based on various User Groups. Add the AD group you just
> created. For the target folder location, Redirect to the Home Folder.
> After you click OK, it will display a UNC in the form of:
> \\%HOMESERVER%%HOMEPATH%. Under the settings tab, check the box that
> says Grant the user exclusive rights to My Docs. Also select to Move
> the Contents, as well as Leave the Folder in the new location when the
> policy is removed.
>
> 9. I usually create a logon bat script, place it in the NETLOGON
> share, and specify the script name in thier AD properties, to manually
> map the same drive letter specified under the Profile tab for the home
> folder to the home folder, such as with a command line of "net use h:
> \\servername\username$". It can also be done using VB and a logon
> script in their GPOs. The script normally does multiple other things
> as well. I'm just pointing out this portion of it. It is your choice
> of using VB, CMD or bat files when creating a script.
>
> 10. Enable Offline Use for the redirected My Documents.
>
> 11. Repeat for the other folders, if you choose to include them. I
> would set them to use subfolders, such as Application Data, so the
> data doesn't get intermixed with the My Docs.
>
> 12. Link the GPO to the OU you want it to apply to. Keep in mind, it
> will not work until you add the users that you want it to apply to, to
> the My Docs Redirect Group, that you've created.
>
> 13. If you ever need to move the Users folder location to a new
> server, simply mirror the shared folders and permissions from the old
> server on the new server drive (no need to copy the data), and change
> the policy to point to the new UNC. Next time the user logs on, the
> data will be moved automatically. The larger the amount of data, the
> longer it will take. For example, one customer had a 10 GB home
> folder. It took about 20 minutes to move, however the user was able to
> work. Some of the files weren't available immediately, but they
> eventually showed up.
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum to benefit from
> collaboration among responding engineers, and to help others benefit
> from your resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>
> http://twitter.com/acefekay
> For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly.
> Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone
> numbers.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ace Fekay [MCT]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-31-2009
"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message
news: .com...
> Hello Ace Fekay [MCT],
>
> Thanks for that. Will update:-)
>


You are welcome!
:-)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off-Line Files Tips Mojo Active Directory 5 07-31-2009 10:09 AM
Off-Line Files Tips Mojo Server Setup 5 07-31-2009 10:09 AM