Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Virtual PC > How often does a new version come out?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

How often does a new version come out?

 
 
MLyons10
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-15-2009
Hi everyone, I am using Virtual PC 2007 and was wondering if a new version
with more features and stability improvements would be released in 2009 or
what. I don't know how often a new version comes out...

Thanks,

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bo Berglund
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-16-2009
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:21:01 -0700, MLyons10
<> wrote:

>Hi everyone, I am using Virtual PC 2007 and was wondering if a new version
>with more features and stability improvements would be released in 2009 or
>what. I don't know how often a new version comes out...
>
>Thanks,
>


Maybe when a new major version of Windows comes out...
Last time was going from VPC2004 to VPC2007 in order to support VISTA.
Probably by the time they are nearing Windows7 release or so?


--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wesley
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-17-2009
Bo, While I heavly depend on VPC, I do not think that a new release of VPC,
or VS is likely now that MS has released Hyper-V? While VPC, and VS are
essential in my system, I am not holding my breath. It is my hope that I will
eventually be able to run my unsupported apps in Hyper-V, or retire first :-)
--
Wesley


"Bo Berglund" wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:21:01 -0700, MLyons10
> <> wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone, I am using Virtual PC 2007 and was wondering if a new version
> >with more features and stability improvements would be released in 2009 or
> >what. I don't know how often a new version comes out...
> >
> >Thanks,
> >

>
> Maybe when a new major version of Windows comes out...
> Last time was going from VPC2004 to VPC2007 in order to support VISTA.
> Probably by the time they are nearing Windows7 release or so?
>
>
> --
>
> Bo Berglund (Sweden)
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bo Berglund
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-17-2009
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 02:09:02 -0700, Wesley
<> wrote:

>Bo, While I heavly depend on VPC, I do not think that a new release of VPC,
>or VS is likely now that MS has released Hyper-V? While VPC, and VS are
>essential in my system, I am not holding my breath. It is my hope that I will
>eventually be able to run my unsupported apps in Hyper-V, or retire first :-)


It is pure speculation, but in my book Hyper-V will replace
VirtualServer 2005 for server virtualization and therefore VS2005 is
probably at road's end.

But there is still a market/need for desktop virtualization without
the overhead of a dedicated Win2008 server for hosting.

This is where VPC2007 is positioned and so far we have not seen any
desktop replacement product come out from Microsoft. So I believe that
eiter there will be a VPC2009/2010 release to support new features of
Win7 at least as a host or a completely new product (like Hyper-V was
for the server side).

But I am not holding my breath, I am working with VMWare WorkStation
6.5 for stuff that VPC2007 cannot do....

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
 
Reply With Quote
 
MLyons10
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-17-2009
Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it and look forward
to seeing what comes out in future versions.

@Bo: What does VMWare 6.5 do that Virtual PC 2007 doesn't do? Is it better
with sound support? I'm kind of curious as I can't find a good source of
comparison between the different Virtual PC-like products...

Thanks Again,
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Warren
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-17-2009
In message <6313C76D-4A27-40FD-BF8B-> MLyons10
<> was claimed to have wrote:

>Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it and look forward
>to seeing what comes out in future versions.
>
>@Bo: What does VMWare 6.5 do that Virtual PC 2007 doesn't do? Is it better
>with sound support? I'm kind of curious as I can't find a good source of
>comparison between the different Virtual PC-like products...


There is a whole list of things. A few that I use come to mind, in no
particular order:

Snapshot support -- I can have multiple snapshots of a given VM in
various states. While not impossible by creating dozens of VMs in VPC,
it's far easier to manage in VMWare.

Support for multiple monitors.

"Unity" mode, where applications from the VM share the desktop with
local applications rather then being confined to the VM window.

Multiple processor support for guests.

VMCI support, allowing guests to communicate with each other and the
host more directly (admittedly there aren't many apps which take
advantage of this)

Remote display -- VNC access to the guest machine from remote systems.

Passthrough USB support.

Screenshot support.

Overcommitment of virtual machine memory.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-17-2009
Dave Warren wrote:
>> @Bo: What does VMWare 6.5 do that Virtual PC 2007 doesn't do? Is it better
>> with sound support? I'm kind of curious as I can't find a good source of
>> comparison between the different Virtual PC-like products...

>
> There is a whole list of things. A few that I use come to mind, in no
> particular order:
>
> Snapshot support -- I can have multiple snapshots of a given VM in
> various states. While not impossible by creating dozens of VMs in VPC,
> it's far easier to manage in VMWare.
>
> Support for multiple monitors.
>
> "Unity" mode, where applications from the VM share the desktop with
> local applications rather then being confined to the VM window.
>
> Multiple processor support for guests.
>
> VMCI support, allowing guests to communicate with each other and the
> host more directly (admittedly there aren't many apps which take
> advantage of this)
>
> Remote display -- VNC access to the guest machine from remote systems.
>
> Passthrough USB support.
>
> Screenshot support.
>
> Overcommitment of virtual machine memory.


64-bit guests.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Jain [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-18-2009
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:50:19 -0000, "Mark Rae [MVP]"
<> wrote:

>"MLyons10" <> wrote in message
>news:6313C76D-4A27-40FD-BF8B-...
>
>> What does VMWare 6.5 do that Virtual PC 2007 doesn't do?

>
>Everything you've ever wished that Virtual PC could do...


No, I don't wish VPC had tabs for your VMs instead of individual
windows, and I don't like huge installer, multiple services, agents,
and the rest of the extra overhead always running with a VMWare
install.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Jain [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-18-2009
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:34:06 -0700, MLyons10
<> wrote:

>Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it and look forward
>to seeing what comes out in future versions.
>
>@Bo: What does VMWare 6.5 do that Virtual PC 2007 doesn't do? Is it better
>with sound support? I'm kind of curious as I can't find a good source of
>comparison between the different Virtual PC-like products...
>
>Thanks Again,


Comparisions abound...google it. Here's one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...rtual_machines


VMWare Workstation also comes with a $189 price tag.


--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Warren
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-18-2009
In message <> David Wilkinson
<no-> was claimed to have wrote:

>Dave Warren wrote:
>>> @Bo: What does VMWare 6.5 do that Virtual PC 2007 doesn't do? Is it better
>>> with sound support? I'm kind of curious as I can't find a good source of
>>> comparison between the different Virtual PC-like products...

>>
>> There is a whole list of things. A few that I use come to mind, in no
>> particular order:
>>
>> Snapshot support -- I can have multiple snapshots of a given VM in
>> various states. While not impossible by creating dozens of VMs in VPC,
>> it's far easier to manage in VMWare.
>>
>> Support for multiple monitors.
>>
>> "Unity" mode, where applications from the VM share the desktop with
>> local applications rather then being confined to the VM window.
>>
>> Multiple processor support for guests.
>>
>> VMCI support, allowing guests to communicate with each other and the
>> host more directly (admittedly there aren't many apps which take
>> advantage of this)
>>
>> Remote display -- VNC access to the guest machine from remote systems.
>>
>> Passthrough USB support.
>>
>> Screenshot support.
>>
>> Overcommitment of virtual machine memory.

>
>64-bit guests.


I knew I was forgetting something important. This is even more critical
with 2008 R2 (and forward) being x64 only.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? MowGreen [MVP] Windows Update 6 02-09-2008 01:55 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? PA Bear [MS MVP] Windows Update 0 02-05-2008 03:28 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? V Green Windows Update 0 02-05-2008 02:45 AM
Where did Napster come come from? Yincira Windows Media Player 4 11-15-2006 02:09 AM
Will the new Internet Explorer 7.0 come with a new version of Outlook Express? Stan Shankman Internet Explorer 3 02-02-2006 10:49 PM