Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Media Player > Scrolling up or down the page while Windows Media player play a vi

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Scrolling up or down the page while Windows Media player play a vi

 
 
Abi
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-29-2006

- Software name and version: Windows Media Player v.11

- Operating system: Windows XP

- A complete description of the problem: Scrolling up or down the page
while Windows Media player play a video clip, is dragging the video image up
and down.

To view the problem please click on the link bellow play the video and
scroll your mouse up and down the page while the video play:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...333810,00.html

I am in a process of building a website and my developer is having a hard
time correcting this problem. Please advise how to correct this Gigggling
problem of the video image when trying to scroll up or down. This problem
appear only in Windows Media Player and there must be a way to correct it.

Thank you


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-02-2006
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:24:00 -0800, Abi <>
wrote:

>
>- Software name and version: Windows Media Player v.11
>
> - Operating system: Windows XP
>
> - A complete description of the problem: Scrolling up or down the page
>while Windows Media player play a video clip, is dragging the video image up
>and down.
>
>To view the problem please click on the link bellow play the video and
>scroll your mouse up and down the page while the video play:
>http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...333810,00.html
>
>I am in a process of building a website and my developer is having a hard
>time correcting this problem. Please advise how to correct this Gigggling
>problem of the video image when trying to scroll up or down. This problem
>appear only in Windows Media Player and there must be a way to correct it.



It will appear in Quicktime as well usually, on the same machine.
Browser windows aren't really the best place to host moving video
images while decoding them on the fly, it's just a fact of life.

To work around this, you should ensure your site designer is aware of
the possible issues and design the window so the other content doesn't
have to be scrolled.

If other content *must* be scrolled, you can scroll a specific part of
the screen by setting (eg) the right-hand potion of the window to use
a DIV with a height, width and scroll:auto in the CSS.

In WMP in IE6 or later, you may gain extra benefit to overcome this
effect a little by setting in the objec tags

<param name="windowlessvideo" value="true" />


Currently in the IFrame you're getting from players.mediazone.co.il,
they are setting windowlessvideo="0" explicitly. Unless you have some
control over what they output, you may have to investigate scripting
of the player control to set that property using javascript - which
probably won't work cross-domain in your case.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
------------------------------------------------
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2006
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Avi
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-02-2006
Thanks, Neil for your reply, I will forward it to my programer.
But just that I understand in simple English; Are you saying that there are
ways to fix the problem? even if other content *must* be scrolled? Is it a
big deal to fix it in php? (I am preapering myself for my programer reply).
Can you send me to a site where I can actualy see it working, the polayer
play somthing that will not jump while scrolling.

Thanks,

Avi

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:24:00 -0800, Abi <>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >- Software name and version: Windows Media Player v.11
> >
> > - Operating system: Windows XP
> >
> > - A complete description of the problem: Scrolling up or down the page
> >while Windows Media player play a video clip, is dragging the video image up
> >and down.
> >
> >To view the problem please click on the link bellow play the video and
> >scroll your mouse up and down the page while the video play:
> >http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...333810,00.html
> >
> >I am in a process of building a website and my developer is having a hard
> >time correcting this problem. Please advise how to correct this Gigggling
> >problem of the video image when trying to scroll up or down. This problem
> >appear only in Windows Media Player and there must be a way to correct it.

>
>
> It will appear in Quicktime as well usually, on the same machine.
> Browser windows aren't really the best place to host moving video
> images while decoding them on the fly, it's just a fact of life.
>
> To work around this, you should ensure your site designer is aware of
> the possible issues and design the window so the other content doesn't
> have to be scrolled.
>
> If other content *must* be scrolled, you can scroll a specific part of
> the screen by setting (eg) the right-hand potion of the window to use
> a DIV with a height, width and scroll:auto in the CSS.
>
> In WMP in IE6 or later, you may gain extra benefit to overcome this
> effect a little by setting in the objec tags
>
> <param name="windowlessvideo" value="true" />
>
>
> Currently in the IFrame you're getting from players.mediazone.co.il,
> they are setting windowlessvideo="0" explicitly. Unless you have some
> control over what they output, you may have to investigate scripting
> of the player control to set that property using javascript - which
> probably won't work cross-domain in your case.
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil
> ------------------------------------------------
> Digital Media MVP : 2004-2006
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      12-04-2006
On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:49:00 -0800, Avi <> wrote:

>Thanks, Neil for your reply, I will forward it to my programer.
>But just that I understand in simple English; Are you saying that there are
>ways to fix the problem? even if other content *must* be scrolled? Is it a


You may have to rearrange the layout of your web page so that in CSS
you can specify position:absolute for the container which you display
the media player in.


>big deal to fix it in php? (I am preapering myself for my programer reply).
>Can you send me to a site where I can actualy see it working, the polayer
>play somthing that will not jump while scrolling.



PHP is completely unrelated to the problem. It's a HTML+CSS problem
with a small amount of modifying the actual code the player uses to
display.

Since we don't know if you "own" the code displaying the player, it's
not going to help to say anything unless you can say "Yes, we deliver
the page hosted on the server players.mediazone.co.il, and we are able
to modify that page to make it work better.


The player we use in http://coull/tv/node/149 for example doesn't
appear to "tear" when the page is scrolled, using IE6/Win2000/WMP9 but
your mileage may vary, it's browser dependent.


Cheers - Neil

------------------------------------------------
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2006
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RE: Vertical scrolling...jumps rather than smooth scrolling - Excel 20 Paul Windows Vista Hardware 2 01-13-2009 02:42 AM
IE7 page scrolling up and down ringer_399@hotmail.com Internet Explorer 1 09-22-2007 04:01 AM
Scrolling up or down the page while Windows Media player play a vi Avi Windows Media Player 0 11-29-2006 02:28 AM
IE7 beta 2 - program closes when scrolling down the page Nat Internet Explorer 0 07-03-2006 01:23 AM
page hangs up while scrolling tom p Windows Update 1 12-01-2003 06:29 PM