Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Server > Active Directory > Search results are not being returned

Search results are not being returned

drm

12-17-2012
I have a VB .net application that runs on one server that retrieves blocks of information from an AD LDS directory on Windows Server 2008 SP2 that freezes. There is a loop that controls what blocks to retrieve. I have added logging to my code to isolate the problem (see below) as well as on the AD LDS server. The process executes the FindAll command but the results arenever returned. I can see an event log on the AD LDS with ID 1644 statingthat entries are returned but the "processing result" log message is neverwritten. AutoFlush was turned on for the LogWriter. Any suggestions on what could be causing this or on how to determine what is happening?

_myDateTime = DateTime.Now
LogWriter.WriteRecord("Launching query " & ds.Filter & " at " &
Format(_myDateTime, "MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss"))
results = ds.FindAll()
Dim loopCount = 0
LogWriter.WriteRecord("Retrieving results for - " & ds.Filter & " at " &
For Each result As SearchResult In results
loopCount += 1
LogWriter.WriteRecord("Processing result " & loopCount & " at " &
Next

Note: This does not happen everytime. If the hung process is killed and the application restarted, it usually works.

FYI. The directory is populated with information from a database. This application extracts the data from the directory to be compared to the data inthe database to ensure that the two are in sync. If there is a better wayto extract the data, please let me know. I tried csvde but it did not work due to the volume of data.