Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Server > Active Directory > Setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a Domain Controller

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a Domain Controller

 
 
Kent
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-14-2008
Hello,
I would like to check whether setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a Domain
Controller is a best practice? The server is built as a Domain Controller and
DNS server. By default, once dcpromo has been completed with auto configure
DNS function, the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1

So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to
configure the real IP of the DC as preferred DNS?

TQ
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-14-2008
both will target the local server. the 127.0.0.1 config will for example not
be impacted by IP changes

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Identity & Access - Directory Services #

BLOG (WEB-BASED)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
BLOG (RSS-FEEDS)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/rss.aspx
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* How to ask a question --> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#################################################
#################################################
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Kent" <> wrote in message
news:FBFF1ADA-B58B-477C-87C2-...
> Hello,
> I would like to check whether setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a
> Domain
> Controller is a best practice? The server is built as a Domain Controller
> and
> DNS server. By default, once dcpromo has been completed with auto
> configure
> DNS function, the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1
>
> So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to
> configure the real IP of the DC as preferred DNS?
>
> TQ


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kent
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-14-2008
jorge, thanks for your response. you're very helpful in this forum,
especially on my previous question regarding AD Site Link.

so, if i get you correctly there is no wrong or right answer to whether
assigning the physical IP or 127.0.0.1 to the domain controller right? my
concern is whether using 127.0.0.1 will create any replication issue among
the DC as this was raise up by some of the seniors in the company...

thanks

"Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP - DS]" wrote:

> both will target the local server. the 127.0.0.1 config will for example not
> be impacted by IP changes
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> (HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)
>
> # Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Identity & Access - Directory Services #
>
> BLOG (WEB-BASED)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
> BLOG (RSS-FEEDS)--> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/rss.aspx
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> * How to ask a question --> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
> * Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> #################################################
> #################################################
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "Kent" <> wrote in message
> news:FBFF1ADA-B58B-477C-87C2-...
> > Hello,
> > I would like to check whether setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a
> > Domain
> > Controller is a best practice? The server is built as a Domain Controller
> > and
> > DNS server. By default, once dcpromo has been completed with auto
> > configure
> > DNS function, the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1
> >
> > So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to
> > configure the real IP of the DC as preferred DNS?
> >
> > TQ

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Hank Arnold (MVP)
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-14-2008
Kent wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to check whether setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a Domain
> Controller is a best practice? The server is built as a Domain Controller and
> DNS server. By default, once dcpromo has been completed with auto configure
> DNS function, the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1
>
> So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to
> configure the real IP of the DC as preferred DNS?
>
> TQ


The DNS server should be set to the IP address of the DC. The alternate
should be set to one of any other DCs in the domain.

Some recommend the opposite.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phillip Windell
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-14-2008
Officially it is not the best practice.

Unofficially it works just fine everytime I have tried it.

Someone commented that it would be immune to some degree to IP related
problems because 127.0.0.1 would always point to itself no matter
what,...and I agree with that.

But "officially" it is not considered best practice,...but I don't know why.


--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
-----------------------------------------------------

"Kent" <> wrote in message
news:FBFF1ADA-B58B-477C-87C2-...
> Hello,
> I would like to check whether setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a
> Domain
> Controller is a best practice? The server is built as a Domain Controller
> and
> DNS server. By default, once dcpromo has been completed with auto
> configure
> DNS function, the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1
>
> So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to
> configure the real IP of the DC as preferred DNS?
>
> TQ



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kent
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      07-15-2008
thanks guys for all the feedback.
i think i'll just use back IP address of the server instead of 127.xxx



"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> Officially it is not the best practice.
>
> Unofficially it works just fine everytime I have tried it.
>
> Someone commented that it would be immune to some degree to IP related
> problems because 127.0.0.1 would always point to itself no matter
> what,...and I agree with that.
>
> But "officially" it is not considered best practice,...but I don't know why.
>
>
> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
> -----------------------------------------------------
>
> "Kent" <> wrote in message
> news:FBFF1ADA-B58B-477C-87C2-...
> > Hello,
> > I would like to check whether setting 127.0.0.1 as Preferred DNS on a
> > Domain
> > Controller is a best practice? The server is built as a Domain Controller
> > and
> > DNS server. By default, once dcpromo has been completed with auto
> > configure
> > DNS function, the default Preferred DNS is set to 127.0.0.1
> >
> > So i would assume this is a best practice from Microsoft or it's best to
> > configure the real IP of the DC as preferred DNS?
> >
> > TQ

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended setting for Preferred and Alternate DNS wa DNS Server 3 05-18-2006 02:55 PM
Possible issues with removing domain controller and then adding domain controller back to domain. Jaycee Active Directory 0 10-24-2005 07:49 PM
Script for change configuration Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server Marius Mag Scripting 2 06-01-2005 12:22 PM
Selecting a preferred A/D Controller for Client Sand Dune Dude Active Directory 3 12-17-2004 04:51 PM
In WMP, unable to change preferred decoder setting? Not to happy Windows Media Player 2 12-06-2003 10:27 PM