Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Vista Drivers > SMBus ARP

Reply
 
 
Kim
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      01-15-2008
We are using the SMBus on the PCI-e bus to communicate between a PIC on our
card and a Windows application.
According to the SMBus spec v2.0, the PIC must use a default slave address
of 0xC2 and go through the ARP to receive a unique slave address. However,
when I connected the PIC to a modern (Lenovo) Intel based computer with an up
to date SMBus driver, the PIC is never addressed at the default slave
address, during bios startup, Windows boot or later. Is this procedure not
being used in Windows machines?
If ARP is not being used, how do we find a unique SMBus address for our
slave address? And how does the Windows driver, which our application would
use to communicate with the PIC, find our device?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kim
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-04-2008
I was told that Micrsoft monitors these newsgroups to provide assistance, but
I haven't seen any response to my question or Ashwat's related questions
about the SMBus. Can onyone help? Is ARP implemented? Using a logic analyzer,
I haven't seen any ARP activity on a new, Intel based computer running Vista
.. Are the SMBus drivers supported? Is "host notify" supported?

"Kim" wrote:

> We are using the SMBus on the PCI-e bus to communicate between a PIC on our
> card and a Windows application.
> According to the SMBus spec v2.0, the PIC must use a default slave address
> of 0xC2 and go through the ARP to receive a unique slave address. However,
> when I connected the PIC to a modern (Lenovo) Intel based computer with an up
> to date SMBus driver, the PIC is never addressed at the default slave
> address, during bios startup, Windows boot or later. Is this procedure not
> being used in Windows machines?
> If ARP is not being used, how do we find a unique SMBus address for our
> slave address? And how does the Windows driver, which our application would
> use to communicate with the PIC, find our device?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Craig
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-04-2008
Assistance by Microsoft is only provided for those who have a MSDN
subscription and a properly registered posting alias. Go hit whoever 'told'
you Microsoft gives away support. Some of the folks at Microsoft do answer
questions for everyone, but it is not a promise and if they don't feel they
have the expertise to answer, they probably won't.

"Kim" <> wrote in message
news:68A6E3A4-1555-4FD9-A938-...
>I was told that Micrsoft monitors these newsgroups to provide assistance,
>but
> I haven't seen any response to my question or Ashwat's related questions
> about the SMBus. Can onyone help? Is ARP implemented? Using a logic
> analyzer,
> I haven't seen any ARP activity on a new, Intel based computer running
> Vista
> . Are the SMBus drivers supported? Is "host notify" supported?
>
> "Kim" wrote:
>
>> We are using the SMBus on the PCI-e bus to communicate between a PIC on
>> our
>> card and a Windows application.
>> According to the SMBus spec v2.0, the PIC must use a default slave
>> address
>> of 0xC2 and go through the ARP to receive a unique slave address.
>> However,
>> when I connected the PIC to a modern (Lenovo) Intel based computer with
>> an up
>> to date SMBus driver, the PIC is never addressed at the default slave
>> address, during bios startup, Windows boot or later. Is this procedure
>> not
>> being used in Windows machines?
>> If ARP is not being used, how do we find a unique SMBus address for our
>> slave address? And how does the Windows driver, which our application
>> would
>> use to communicate with the PIC, find our device?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kim
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-04-2008
Sorry Craig. I got here through the help section of Visual Studio 2005. Along
the way, I saw that the managed MSDN newsgroups questions are answered by the
community or a Microsoft support professional within 2 business days.
Somehow, I really missed that I had to join MSDN (I thought that came with
the Visual Studio 2005 purchase). My dumb mistake.

But, if anyone in the community can help with my questions, I would really
appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

"David Craig" wrote:

> Assistance by Microsoft is only provided for those who have a MSDN
> subscription and a properly registered posting alias. Go hit whoever 'told'
> you Microsoft gives away support. Some of the folks at Microsoft do answer
> questions for everyone, but it is not a promise and if they don't feel they
> have the expertise to answer, they probably won't.
>
> "Kim" <> wrote in message
> news:68A6E3A4-1555-4FD9-A938-...
> >I was told that Micrsoft monitors these newsgroups to provide assistance,
> >but
> > I haven't seen any response to my question or Ashwat's related questions
> > about the SMBus. Can onyone help? Is ARP implemented? Using a logic
> > analyzer,
> > I haven't seen any ARP activity on a new, Intel based computer running
> > Vista
> > . Are the SMBus drivers supported? Is "host notify" supported?
> >
> > "Kim" wrote:
> >
> >> We are using the SMBus on the PCI-e bus to communicate between a PIC on
> >> our
> >> card and a Windows application.
> >> According to the SMBus spec v2.0, the PIC must use a default slave
> >> address
> >> of 0xC2 and go through the ARP to receive a unique slave address.
> >> However,
> >> when I connected the PIC to a modern (Lenovo) Intel based computer with
> >> an up
> >> to date SMBus driver, the PIC is never addressed at the default slave
> >> address, during bios startup, Windows boot or later. Is this procedure
> >> not
> >> being used in Windows machines?
> >> If ARP is not being used, how do we find a unique SMBus address for our
> >> slave address? And how does the Windows driver, which our application
> >> would
> >> use to communicate with the PIC, find our device?

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Maxim S. Shatskih
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-04-2008
> the way, I saw that the managed MSDN newsgroups questions are answered by
>the community or a Microsoft support professional within 2 business days.


If anybody of the community knows the answer (i.e. the question is not too
specific) - then it is usually answered within a day.

No guarantees though.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kim
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-04-2008
Thanks guys. Looks like we might end up being the SMBus experts by the time
we finish this project :-). If we do learn more through other sources, we
will post them here.

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote:

> > the way, I saw that the managed MSDN newsgroups questions are answered by
> >the community or a Microsoft support professional within 2 business days.

>
> If anybody of the community knows the answer (i.e. the question is not too
> specific) - then it is usually answered within a day.
>
> No guarantees though.
>
> --
> Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
> StorageCraft Corporation
>
> http://www.storagecraft.com
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1

 
      10-17-2011
Hi Kim, Did you ever find an answer to your question? Can you please post it? I have been trying to test ARP feature on a slave but can not find any resources showing the support.

Linux does not have smbus-arp support, and I tried to send the address 0xC2 from a master to see whether my slave responds but that does not work.

Thanks
SP
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropping ARP packets, hooking the ARP cache chris119 Windows Vista Drivers 0 10-29-2008 10:21 PM
Vista SP1 and ICH9 SMBus Controller Electron Windows Vista Installation 1 07-16-2008 10:47 PM
Is SMBus driver of Intel's ICH4 SMBus controller available? Arvin Windows Vista Drivers 4 11-08-2004 03:08 AM
SMBus driver questions Andy Purcell Windows Vista Drivers 4 03-06-2004 09:02 PM
smbus access on a via vt82c686b Cody Tews Windows Vista Drivers 0 03-02-2004 05:32 PM