LogEvent.exe for Windows 2008?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Joseph Morales, Jan 24, 2009.

  1. Hello,
    I'm looking for a utility that would let me write arbitrary entries to
    Windows 2008 event logs. I need to be able to specify the Log Name (System,
    Application, etc.), Source Name, Type (Error, Warning, Info), Event ID, and
    Description.

    From Googling, I find that there used to be a tool of this kind for Windows
    2000 called LogEvent.exe. However, I can't find anyplace to download it. Is
    there something similar available for Windows 2008?

    Thanks!
    --
    Joseph
    Joseph Morales, Jan 24, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Joseph Morales

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Have you tried VBScript?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b4ce6by3.aspx



    --

    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Joseph Morales" wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm looking for a utility that would let me write arbitrary entries to
    > Windows 2008 event logs. I need to be able to specify the Log Name
    > (System,
    > Application, etc.), Source Name, Type (Error, Warning, Info), Event ID,
    > and
    > Description.
    >
    > From Googling, I find that there used to be a tool of this kind for
    > Windows
    > 2000 called LogEvent.exe. However, I can't find anyplace to download it.
    > Is
    > there something similar available for Windows 2008?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Joseph
    Dave Patrick, Jan 24, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Dave Patrick" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Have you tried VBScript?


    Thanks, but the LogEvent method in VBScript doesn't allow you to specify the
    value for the Source of the log entry. Unfortunately, for my purposes, I
    need to be able to do this.

    Any other suggestions out there?

    Joseph
    Joseph Morales, Jan 24, 2009
    #3
  4. Joseph Morales

    Dave Patrick Guest

    I believe the logevent.exe tool is in here.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9A-E08A-49A2-9D3A-C0519479E85A&displaylang=en



    --

    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Joseph Morales" wrote:
    > Thanks, but the LogEvent method in VBScript doesn't allow you to specify
    > the value for the Source of the log entry. Unfortunately, for my purposes,
    > I need to be able to do this.
    >
    > Any other suggestions out there?
    >
    > Joseph
    >
    Dave Patrick, Jan 25, 2009
    #4
  5. "Dave Patrick" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I believe the logevent.exe tool is in here.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9A-E08A-49A2-9D3A-C0519479E85A&displaylang=en


    Thanks, Dave! Unfortunately, now that I have it, it turns out the
    logevent.exe tool has an unfortunate limitation. It appears to be capable of
    logging only to the Application event log. I need to be able to log to the
    event log of my choice, such as the System event log.

    As mentioned in my original message, these are the things that I need to be
    able to specify: Log Name (System, Application, etc.), Source Name, Type
    (Error, Warning, Info), Event ID, and Description.

    Are there any other utilities out there that would serve the purpose? Thanks
    again for any suggestions.

    Joseph
    Joseph Morales, Jan 26, 2009
    #5
  6. Joseph Morales

    Dave Patrick Guest

    This one may serve the purpose.

    http://www.desaware.com/support/documents/index.aspx



    --

    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Joseph Morales" wrote:
    > Thanks, Dave! Unfortunately, now that I have it, it turns out the
    > logevent.exe tool has an unfortunate limitation. It appears to be capable
    > of logging only to the Application event log. I need to be able to log to
    > the event log of my choice, such as the System event log.
    >
    > As mentioned in my original message, these are the things that I need to
    > be able to specify: Log Name (System, Application, etc.), Source Name,
    > Type (Error, Warning, Info), Event ID, and Description.
    >
    > Are there any other utilities out there that would serve the purpose?
    > Thanks again for any suggestions.
    >
    > Joseph
    >
    Dave Patrick, Jan 26, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Chare

    Missing digital signatures for hkcmde.exe igfxtray.exe igfxpers.exe

    Michael Chare, Mar 24, 2007, in forum: Windows Vista General Discussion
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    292
    Michael Chare
    Mar 25, 2007
  2. Dave Nickason [SBS MVP]

    Re: Difference between Windows Server 2008 / SBS 2008 / EBS 2008 / SBS 2003

    Dave Nickason [SBS MVP], May 6, 2009, in forum: Windows Small Business Server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,342
    Dave Nickason [SBS MVP]
    May 6, 2009
  3. Venkatesh

    logevent.exe does not show description

    Venkatesh, Aug 19, 2003, in forum: Scripting
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    246
    Venkatesh
    Aug 19, 2003
  4. Jon Bakersfield

    Logevent question

    Jon Bakersfield, Nov 10, 2006, in forum: Server Setup
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    165
    Jon Bakersfield
    Nov 10, 2006
  5. john doe
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,121
    Chris Puckett [MSFT]
    Dec 28, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page