Re: Backup fails with unknown error (0x800423f0) on sbs2008

Discussion in 'Windows Small Business Server' started by cat_millenium, May 28, 2009.

  1. Turned off the shadow copy on the systemdrive, restarted the server ran the
    next backup and guess what: failed.

    @Microsoft: is it so difficult to implement a working backup? Used to be
    working in 2003?!


    "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:

    > Anytime I see a Shadow Copy Error in a backup
    > I go to the Volume that it errors on
    > Go to the Properties of the drive
    > go to Shadow copy section
    > Disable Shadow copy on that drive
    > and Restart it.
    > You loose the shadow copy parts you have there but it usually works
    > Also Do you have 1 DRIVE or Partitions?
    > If at least 2 partitions and you are using the MS recommended 60GB
    > you will run out of space. (Which could be part of the issue)
    > I personally Turn OFF shadow Copy on OS drives
    >
    > You can try that also
    > Russ
    >
    >
    > --
    > Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    >
    >
    > "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" <> wrote
    > in message news:%...
    > What are you using for a backup device?
    > How big is it?
    > How big are your drives?
    >
    > --
    > Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
    > Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    > http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329
    > 573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    > Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    > A Microsoft Registered Partner
    > ------------------------------------
    > MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    > Please do not submit questions directly to me.
    >
    >
    > "cat_millenium" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > This is what I get in the Backup Properties:
    > A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed.
    > Unknown error (0x800423f0).
    >
    > U:\>vssadmin list writers
    > vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line
    > tool
    > (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > Writer name: 'System Writer'
    > Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
    > Writer Instance Id: {3966148d-6c8a-4df7-9de8-3c825162ddfa}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'
    > Writer Id: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
    > Writer Instance Id: {091bc172-b127-4b7b-8e30-76921a5ba2fc}
    > State: [8] Failed
    > Last error: Inconsistent shadow copy
    >
    > Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
    > Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
    > Writer Instance Id: {f7c70b29-6aec-4565-a76a-d34c9a79a34f}
    > State: [1] Stable
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'FRS Writer'
    > Writer Id: {d76f5a28-3092-4589-ba48-2958fb88ce29}
    > Writer Instance Id: {cac6152d-941d-424c-a7a0-f427a3d69c36}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'FSRM Writer'
    > Writer Id: {12ce4370-5bb7-4c58-a76a-e5d5097e3674}
    > Writer Instance Id: {3a2adb4c-c7bd-4d36-a3f4-941f93071470}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'Registry Writer'
    > Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
    > Writer Instance Id: {22a258c3-7e16-4b3e-9596-fb59df07aa94}
    > State: [1] Stable
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'
    > Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}
    > Writer Instance Id: {d3672ac8-9c2d-4019-92a9-5254162cc45e}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'Certificate Authority'
    > Writer Id: {6f5b15b5-da24-4d88-b737-63063e3a1f86}
    > Writer Instance Id: {92abfe2c-c285-4657-ae1f-5e551ae2ff52}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'NPS VSS Writer'
    > Writer Id: {35e81631-13e1-48db-97fc-d5bc721bb18a}
    > Writer Instance Id: {bc86819c-8122-48cb-a7c8-1b37730f746d}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'
    > Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
    > Writer Instance Id: {d4043509-ca91-4a40-aff7-9732b558064b}
    > State: [1] Stable
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'
    > Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
    > Writer Instance Id: {0d684602-a0b5-422e-9fbf-383b26ceba61}
    > State: [1] Stable
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'SharePoint Services Writer'
    > Writer Id: {c2f52614-5e53-4858-a589-38eeb25c6184}
    > Writer Instance Id: {26c8c0a0-244d-4a2c-aa26-12588d84d333}
    > State: [1] Stable
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'TS Gateway Writer'
    > Writer Id: {368753ec-572e-4fc7-b4b9-ccd9bdc624cb}
    > Writer Instance Id: {c46f8b3d-9cdb-4d3b-b9ab-b0397ee9944c}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'IIS Metabase Writer'
    > Writer Id: {59b1f0cf-90ef-465f-9609-6ca8b2938366}
    > Writer Instance Id: {83c26617-e9b1-4e66-ad1f-d22a30bafd29}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'IIS Config Writer'
    > Writer Id: {2a40fd15-dfca-4aa8-a654-1f8c654603f6}
    > Writer Instance Id: {5d580cf0-f48a-435d-bfda-269e9e3ee878}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'SPSearch VSS Writer'
    > Writer Id: {57af97e4-4a76-4ace-a756-d11e8f0294c7}
    > Writer Instance Id: {2052058d-ab05-4cc9-8b55-9c86d516ac31}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'BITS Writer'
    > Writer Id: {4969d978-be47-48b0-b100-f328f07ac1e0}
    > Writer Instance Id: {6cd6ce45-7a22-4467-b5b0-20e1985f1b67}
    > State: [1] Stable
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
    > Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
    > Writer Instance Id: {668cd33e-f300-4a9a-9299-0d53ff649872}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Writer name: 'NTDS'
    > Writer Id: {b2014c9e-8711-4c5c-a5a9-3cf384484757}
    > Writer Instance Id: {81f59b67-ec22-4816-a541-3bdfc717ffac}
    > State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > Last error: No error
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    > I have one disk with everything on it and one disk used only for
    > backups.
    >
     
    cat_millenium, May 28, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Thats what I am using.

    "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:

    > Are you using the SBS backup Wizard?
    >
    > --
    > Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    >
    >
    >
    > "cat_millenium" <> wrote in message
    > news:D...
    > > Turned off the shadow copy on the systemdrive, restarted the server ran
    > > the
    > > next backup and guess what: failed.
    > >
    > > @Microsoft: is it so difficult to implement a working backup? Used to be
    > > working in 2003?!
    > >
    > >
    > > "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Anytime I see a Shadow Copy Error in a backup
    > >> I go to the Volume that it errors on
    > >> Go to the Properties of the drive
    > >> go to Shadow copy section
    > >> Disable Shadow copy on that drive
    > >> and Restart it.
    > >> You loose the shadow copy parts you have there but it usually works
    > >> Also Do you have 1 DRIVE or Partitions?
    > >> If at least 2 partitions and you are using the MS recommended 60GB
    > >> you will run out of space. (Which could be part of the issue)
    > >> I personally Turn OFF shadow Copy on OS drives
    > >>
    > >> You can try that also
    > >> Russ
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > >> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > >> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > >> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > >> Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" <> wrote
    > >> in message news:%...
    > >> What are you using for a backup device?
    > >> How big is it?
    > >> How big are your drives?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
    > >> Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    > >>
    > >> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329
    > >> 573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    > >> Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    > >> A Microsoft Registered Partner
    > >> ------------------------------------
    > >> MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    > >> Please do not submit questions directly to me.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> "cat_millenium" <> wrote in
    > >> message news:...
    > >> This is what I get in the Backup Properties:
    > >> A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed.
    > >> Unknown error (0x800423f0).
    > >>
    > >> U:\>vssadmin list writers
    > >> vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line
    > >> tool
    > >> (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'System Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {3966148d-6c8a-4df7-9de8-3c825162ddfa}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'
    > >> Writer Id: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {091bc172-b127-4b7b-8e30-76921a5ba2fc}
    > >> State: [8] Failed
    > >> Last error: Inconsistent shadow copy
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {f7c70b29-6aec-4565-a76a-d34c9a79a34f}
    > >> State: [1] Stable
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'FRS Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {d76f5a28-3092-4589-ba48-2958fb88ce29}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {cac6152d-941d-424c-a7a0-f427a3d69c36}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'FSRM Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {12ce4370-5bb7-4c58-a76a-e5d5097e3674}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {3a2adb4c-c7bd-4d36-a3f4-941f93071470}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'Registry Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {22a258c3-7e16-4b3e-9596-fb59df07aa94}
    > >> State: [1] Stable
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {d3672ac8-9c2d-4019-92a9-5254162cc45e}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'Certificate Authority'
    > >> Writer Id: {6f5b15b5-da24-4d88-b737-63063e3a1f86}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {92abfe2c-c285-4657-ae1f-5e551ae2ff52}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'NPS VSS Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {35e81631-13e1-48db-97fc-d5bc721bb18a}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {bc86819c-8122-48cb-a7c8-1b37730f746d}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {d4043509-ca91-4a40-aff7-9732b558064b}
    > >> State: [1] Stable
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {0d684602-a0b5-422e-9fbf-383b26ceba61}
    > >> State: [1] Stable
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'SharePoint Services Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {c2f52614-5e53-4858-a589-38eeb25c6184}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {26c8c0a0-244d-4a2c-aa26-12588d84d333}
    > >> State: [1] Stable
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'TS Gateway Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {368753ec-572e-4fc7-b4b9-ccd9bdc624cb}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {c46f8b3d-9cdb-4d3b-b9ab-b0397ee9944c}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'IIS Metabase Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {59b1f0cf-90ef-465f-9609-6ca8b2938366}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {83c26617-e9b1-4e66-ad1f-d22a30bafd29}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'IIS Config Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {2a40fd15-dfca-4aa8-a654-1f8c654603f6}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {5d580cf0-f48a-435d-bfda-269e9e3ee878}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'SPSearch VSS Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {57af97e4-4a76-4ace-a756-d11e8f0294c7}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {2052058d-ab05-4cc9-8b55-9c86d516ac31}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'BITS Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {4969d978-be47-48b0-b100-f328f07ac1e0}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {6cd6ce45-7a22-4467-b5b0-20e1985f1b67}
    > >> State: [1] Stable
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
    > >> Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {668cd33e-f300-4a9a-9299-0d53ff649872}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Writer name: 'NTDS'
    > >> Writer Id: {b2014c9e-8711-4c5c-a5a9-3cf384484757}
    > >> Writer Instance Id: {81f59b67-ec22-4816-a541-3bdfc717ffac}
    > >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> Last error: No error
    > >>
    > >> Any Ideas?
    > >> I have one disk with everything on it and one disk used only for
    > >> backups.
    > >>
     
    cat_millenium, May 29, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. I have tried the backup through the sbs witzard as well as running the
    windows backup. Both failed.
    Then I have stopped the monitoring instance of mssql. This gave me a
    successful backup.
    What can I do to run it together with mssql backup?

    "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:

    > Sorry for asking because you said 1 disk for everything and one disk for
    > backup
    > (like it wasn't the sbs Wizard for backups.)
    >
    > Assuming it's the same error (Comparing the two).
    > It's still a shadow copy issue
    >
    > Have you remove ALL Shadow copies on drives and re enabled?
    > Even if yes, I'd say do it again...
    >
    > I've had to do it more than once sometimes.
    >
    > Russ
    >
    > --
    > Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    >
    >
    >
    > "cat_millenium" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Thats what I am using.
    > >
    > > "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you using the SBS backup Wizard?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > >> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > >> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > >> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > >> Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> "cat_millenium" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:D...
    > >> > Turned off the shadow copy on the systemdrive, restarted the server ran
    > >> > the
    > >> > next backup and guess what: failed.
    > >> >
    > >> > @Microsoft: is it so difficult to implement a working backup? Used to
    > >> > be
    > >> > working in 2003?!
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> > "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >> Anytime I see a Shadow Copy Error in a backup
    > >> >> I go to the Volume that it errors on
    > >> >> Go to the Properties of the drive
    > >> >> go to Shadow copy section
    > >> >> Disable Shadow copy on that drive
    > >> >> and Restart it.
    > >> >> You loose the shadow copy parts you have there but it usually works
    > >> >> Also Do you have 1 DRIVE or Partitions?
    > >> >> If at least 2 partitions and you are using the MS recommended 60GB
    > >> >> you will run out of space. (Which could be part of the issue)
    > >> >> I personally Turn OFF shadow Copy on OS drives
    > >> >>
    > >> >> You can try that also
    > >> >> Russ
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >> >> --
    > >> >> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > >> >> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > >> >> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > >> >> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > >> >> Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >> >> "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" <>
    > >> >> wrote
    > >> >> in message news:%...
    > >> >> What are you using for a backup device?
    > >> >> How big is it?
    > >> >> How big are your drives?
    > >> >>
    > >> >> --
    > >> >> Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
    > >> >> Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    > >> >>
    > >> >> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329
    > >> >> 573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    > >> >> Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    > >> >> A Microsoft Registered Partner
    > >> >> ------------------------------------
    > >> >> MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    > >> >> Please do not submit questions directly to me.
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >> >> "cat_millenium" <> wrote in
    > >> >> message news:...
    > >> >> This is what I get in the Backup Properties:
    > >> >> A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed.
    > >> >> Unknown error (0x800423f0).
    > >> >>
    > >> >> U:\>vssadmin list writers
    > >> >> vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative
    > >> >> command-line
    > >> >> tool
    > >> >> (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Writer name: 'System Writer'
    > >> >> Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
    > >> >> Writer Instance Id: {3966148d-6c8a-4df7-9de8-3c825162ddfa}
    > >> >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> >> Last error: No error
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'
    > >> >> Writer Id: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
    > >> >> Writer Instance Id: {091bc172-b127-4b7b-8e30-76921a5ba2fc}
    > >> >> State: [8] Failed
    > >> >> Last error: Inconsistent shadow copy
    > >> >>
     
    cat_millenium, Jun 4, 2009
    #3
  4. I am running only one backup at a time
    When I say I am running Windows Backup I mean "Windows Server Backup" from
    the Start Menu.
    I have not found "The Control Panel Backup" in the Control Panel - only the
    "Windows Server Backup" in the Administrative Tools.

    "Russ - www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:

    > Ok let me get this strait
    > Running the SBS backup *The Control Panel Backup
    > (No other backups running)
    > it doesn't work?
    > Correct?
    >
    > Then you say Windows backup?
    > (What Windows backup are you talking about?)
    > are you running this backup the same time as the other backup?
    >
    > Russ
    >
    > --
    > Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBSrepair.com
    > Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    >
    >
    >
    > "cat_millenium" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I have tried the backup through the sbs witzard as well as running the
    > > windows backup. Both failed.
    > > Then I have stopped the monitoring instance of mssql. This gave me a
    > > successful backup.
    > > What can I do to run it together with mssql backup?
    > >
    > > "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sorry for asking because you said 1 disk for everything and one disk for
    > >> backup
    > >> (like it wasn't the sbs Wizard for backups.)
    > >>
    > >> Assuming it's the same error (Comparing the two).
    > >> It's still a shadow copy issue
    > >>
    > >> Have you remove ALL Shadow copies on drives and re enabled?
    > >> Even if yes, I'd say do it again...
    > >>
    > >> I've had to do it more than once sometimes.
    > >>
    > >> Russ
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > >> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > >> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > >> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > >> Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> "cat_millenium" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> > Thats what I am using.
    > >> >
    > >> > "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >> Are you using the SBS backup Wizard?
    > >> >>
    > >> >> --
    > >> >> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > >> >> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > >> >> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > >> >> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > >> >> Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >> >> "cat_millenium" <> wrote in
    > >> >> message
    > >> >> news:D...
    > >> >> > Turned off the shadow copy on the systemdrive, restarted the server
    > >> >> > ran
    > >> >> > the
    > >> >> > next backup and guess what: failed.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > @Microsoft: is it so difficult to implement a working backup? Used
    > >> >> > to
    > >> >> > be
    > >> >> > working in 2003?!
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > "Russ = www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >> Anytime I see a Shadow Copy Error in a backup
    > >> >> >> I go to the Volume that it errors on
    > >> >> >> Go to the Properties of the drive
    > >> >> >> go to Shadow copy section
    > >> >> >> Disable Shadow copy on that drive
    > >> >> >> and Restart it.
    > >> >> >> You loose the shadow copy parts you have there but it usually works
    > >> >> >> Also Do you have 1 DRIVE or Partitions?
    > >> >> >> If at least 2 partitions and you are using the MS recommended 60GB
    > >> >> >> you will run out of space. (Which could be part of the issue)
    > >> >> >> I personally Turn OFF shadow Copy on OS drives
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> You can try that also
    > >> >> >> Russ
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> --
    > >> >> >> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > >> >> >> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > >> >> >> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > >> >> >> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
    > >> >> >> Microsoft Online Services -
    > >> >> >> http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" <>
    > >> >> >> wrote
    > >> >> >> in message news:%...
    > >> >> >> What are you using for a backup device?
    > >> >> >> How big is it?
    > >> >> >> How big are your drives?
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> --
    > >> >> >> Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
    > >> >> >> Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329
    > >> >> >> 573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    > >> >> >> Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    > >> >> >> A Microsoft Registered Partner
    > >> >> >> ------------------------------------
    > >> >> >> MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    > >> >> >> Please do not submit questions directly to me.
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> "cat_millenium" <> wrote
    > >> >> >> in
    > >> >> >> message news:...
    > >> >> >> This is what I get in the Backup Properties:
    > >> >> >> A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed.
    > >> >> >> Unknown error (0x800423f0).
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> U:\>vssadmin list writers
    > >> >> >> vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative
    > >> >> >> command-line
    > >> >> >> tool
    > >> >> >> (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> Writer name: 'System Writer'
    > >> >> >> Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
    > >> >> >> Writer Instance Id: {3966148d-6c8a-4df7-9de8-3c825162ddfa}
    > >> >> >> State: [5] Waiting for completion
    > >> >> >> Last error: No error
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'
    > >> >> >> Writer Id: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
    > >> >> >> Writer Instance Id: {091bc172-b127-4b7b-8e30-76921a5ba2fc}
    > >> >> >> State: [8] Failed
    > >> >> >> Last error: Inconsistent shadow copy
    > >> >> >>

    > >
     
    cat_millenium, Jun 4, 2009
    #4
  5. Well, finally solved that issue.
    What happend? Attaching an additional disk the sharepoint databases and so
    on were moved to that disk. Removing it lost the databases.
    With missing databases vss failes.


    "Russ - www.SBITS.Biz" wrote:

    > Sorry to go backwards but this doesn't sound like SBS2008?
    > Russ
    >
    > --
    > Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
    > Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    > Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    > World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBSrepair.com
    > Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com/
    >
    >
    >
     
    cat_millenium, Jul 25, 2009
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bernie Walker

    Backup Error 0x800423F0

    Bernie Walker, Apr 5, 2005, in forum: Windows Server
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    313
    James White
    May 4, 2005
  2. J
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,424
  3. cat_millenium

    Re: Backup fails with unknown error (0x800423f0) on sbs2008

    cat_millenium, May 27, 2009, in forum: Windows Small Business Server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    973
    cat_millenium
    May 27, 2009
  4. Brett Upton
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,130
    Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]
    Sep 9, 2008
  5. EnderWiggins

    SBS2008 Backup fails - unknown error (0x800423f4) on sbs2008

    EnderWiggins, Apr 28, 2010, in forum: Windows Small Business Server
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,060
    Simon Thomson
    May 6, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page