Scrolling up or down the page while Windows Media player play a vi

Discussion in 'Windows Media Player' started by Abi, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. Abi

    Abi Guest

    - Software name and version: Windows Media Player v.11

    - Operating system: Windows XP

    - A complete description of the problem: Scrolling up or down the page
    while Windows Media player play a video clip, is dragging the video image up
    and down.

    To view the problem please click on the link bellow play the video and
    scroll your mouse up and down the page while the video play:
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3333810,00.html

    I am in a process of building a website and my developer is having a hard
    time correcting this problem. Please advise how to correct this Gigggling
    problem of the video image when trying to scroll up or down. This problem
    appear only in Windows Media Player and there must be a way to correct it.

    Thank you
     
    Abi, Nov 29, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:24:00 -0800, Abi <>
    wrote:

    >
    >- Software name and version: Windows Media Player v.11
    >
    > - Operating system: Windows XP
    >
    > - A complete description of the problem: Scrolling up or down the page
    >while Windows Media player play a video clip, is dragging the video image up
    >and down.
    >
    >To view the problem please click on the link bellow play the video and
    >scroll your mouse up and down the page while the video play:
    >http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3333810,00.html
    >
    >I am in a process of building a website and my developer is having a hard
    >time correcting this problem. Please advise how to correct this Gigggling
    >problem of the video image when trying to scroll up or down. This problem
    >appear only in Windows Media Player and there must be a way to correct it.



    It will appear in Quicktime as well usually, on the same machine.
    Browser windows aren't really the best place to host moving video
    images while decoding them on the fly, it's just a fact of life.

    To work around this, you should ensure your site designer is aware of
    the possible issues and design the window so the other content doesn't
    have to be scrolled.

    If other content *must* be scrolled, you can scroll a specific part of
    the screen by setting (eg) the right-hand potion of the window to use
    a DIV with a height, width and scroll:auto in the CSS.

    In WMP in IE6 or later, you may gain extra benefit to overcome this
    effect a little by setting in the objec tags

    <param name="windowlessvideo" value="true" />


    Currently in the IFrame you're getting from players.mediazone.co.il,
    they are setting windowlessvideo="0" explicitly. Unless you have some
    control over what they output, you may have to investigate scripting
    of the player control to set that property using javascript - which
    probably won't work cross-domain in your case.

    HTH
    Cheers - Neil
    ------------------------------------------------
    Digital Media MVP : 2004-2006
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
     
    Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media], Dec 2, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Abi

    Avi Guest

    Re: Scrolling up or down the page while Windows Media player play

    Thanks, Neil for your reply, I will forward it to my programer.
    But just that I understand in simple English; Are you saying that there are
    ways to fix the problem? even if other content *must* be scrolled? Is it a
    big deal to fix it in php? (I am preapering myself for my programer reply).
    Can you send me to a site where I can actualy see it working, the polayer
    play somthing that will not jump while scrolling.

    Thanks,

    Avi

    "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:24:00 -0800, Abi <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >- Software name and version: Windows Media Player v.11
    > >
    > > - Operating system: Windows XP
    > >
    > > - A complete description of the problem: Scrolling up or down the page
    > >while Windows Media player play a video clip, is dragging the video image up
    > >and down.
    > >
    > >To view the problem please click on the link bellow play the video and
    > >scroll your mouse up and down the page while the video play:
    > >http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3333810,00.html
    > >
    > >I am in a process of building a website and my developer is having a hard
    > >time correcting this problem. Please advise how to correct this Gigggling
    > >problem of the video image when trying to scroll up or down. This problem
    > >appear only in Windows Media Player and there must be a way to correct it.

    >
    >
    > It will appear in Quicktime as well usually, on the same machine.
    > Browser windows aren't really the best place to host moving video
    > images while decoding them on the fly, it's just a fact of life.
    >
    > To work around this, you should ensure your site designer is aware of
    > the possible issues and design the window so the other content doesn't
    > have to be scrolled.
    >
    > If other content *must* be scrolled, you can scroll a specific part of
    > the screen by setting (eg) the right-hand potion of the window to use
    > a DIV with a height, width and scroll:auto in the CSS.
    >
    > In WMP in IE6 or later, you may gain extra benefit to overcome this
    > effect a little by setting in the objec tags
    >
    > <param name="windowlessvideo" value="true" />
    >
    >
    > Currently in the IFrame you're getting from players.mediazone.co.il,
    > they are setting windowlessvideo="0" explicitly. Unless you have some
    > control over what they output, you may have to investigate scripting
    > of the player control to set that property using javascript - which
    > probably won't work cross-domain in your case.
    >
    > HTH
    > Cheers - Neil
    > ------------------------------------------------
    > Digital Media MVP : 2004-2006
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
    >
     
    Avi, Dec 2, 2006
    #3
  4. Re: Scrolling up or down the page while Windows Media player play

    On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:49:00 -0800, Avi <> wrote:

    >Thanks, Neil for your reply, I will forward it to my programer.
    >But just that I understand in simple English; Are you saying that there are
    >ways to fix the problem? even if other content *must* be scrolled? Is it a


    You may have to rearrange the layout of your web page so that in CSS
    you can specify position:absolute for the container which you display
    the media player in.


    >big deal to fix it in php? (I am preapering myself for my programer reply).
    >Can you send me to a site where I can actualy see it working, the polayer
    >play somthing that will not jump while scrolling.



    PHP is completely unrelated to the problem. It's a HTML+CSS problem
    with a small amount of modifying the actual code the player uses to
    display.

    Since we don't know if you "own" the code displaying the player, it's
    not going to help to say anything unless you can say "Yes, we deliver
    the page hosted on the server players.mediazone.co.il, and we are able
    to modify that page to make it work better.


    The player we use in http://coull/tv/node/149 for example doesn't
    appear to "tear" when the page is scrolled, using IE6/Win2000/WMP9 but
    your mileage may vary, it's browser dependent.


    Cheers - Neil

    ------------------------------------------------
    Digital Media MVP : 2004-2006
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
     
    Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media], Dec 4, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,522
    babble
    Jan 13, 2009
  2. tom p

    page hangs up while scrolling

    tom p, Nov 28, 2003, in forum: Windows Update
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    231
    Lucy [MS]
    Dec 1, 2003
  3. Nat
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    172
  4. IE7 page scrolling up and down

    , Sep 22, 2007, in forum: Internet Explorer
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    181
  5. Avi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    268
Loading...

Share This Page