turn off +5V from usb port

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Drivers' started by Gianni Zanone, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. I would like to use +5V generated by usb port as switch to turn on and off a
    device.
    This device has external power supply. I tried to put the device in D3 power
    state but the usb port still generates +5V.
    Can i do this by software?
     
    Gianni Zanone, Apr 19, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gianni Zanone wrote:

    > I would like to use +5V generated by usb port as switch to turn on and off a
    > device.
    > This device has external power supply. I tried to put the device in D3 power
    > state but the usb port still generates +5V.
    > Can i do this by software?


    Forget about it. You probably want to abuse the USB for a non-device.
     
    Robert Marquardt, Apr 19, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. No it is a full functional usb device with driver. Can i do something in the
    driver to do that?

    "Robert Marquardt" wrote:

    > Gianni Zanone wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to use +5V generated by usb port as switch to turn on and off a
    > > device.
    > > This device has external power supply. I tried to put the device in D3 power
    > > state but the usb port still generates +5V.
    > > Can i do this by software?

    >
    > Forget about it. You probably want to abuse the USB for a non-device.
    >
     
    Gianni Zanone, Apr 19, 2006
    #3
  4. Gianni Zanone wrote:

    > No it is a full functional usb device with driver. Can i do something in the
    > driver to do that?


    So you should already know that a hub is not required to allow power
    switching for individual ports.

    Why not implementing a command to the device telling it to consume less
    power?
     
    Robert Marquardt, Apr 19, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gary Schnabl

    USB hard drive won't work on a USB 2 port but will on a USB 1.1 port.Why?

    Gary Schnabl, May 24, 2007, in forum: Windows Vista General Discussion
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    469
    Gary Schnabl
    May 24, 2007
  2. David Wess

    Turn Off Display - but, it will not turn back on, must reboot

    David Wess, Nov 11, 2007, in forum: Windows Vista General Discussion
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    449
    Jalil Vaidya
    Apr 1, 2008
  3. satadru

    How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

    satadru, Sep 10, 2008, in forum: Windows Vista Hardware
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    395
    Paul Montgomery
    Sep 13, 2008
  4. Adam
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    1,482
  5. cpparm

    How to turn off power to a USB port

    cpparm, Dec 21, 2007, in forum: Windows Vista Drivers
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,151
    Maxim S. Shatskih
    Dec 21, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page