Where is Contacts List stored

Discussion in 'Windows Live Mail' started by John A, Apr 8, 2009.

1. John A

John A Guest

I am running WLM 14.0.8064.0206 on XP, and I do not log on to Windows Live.
    I have the following folders that look like they contain contacts associated
    with WLM:
    c:\documents and settings\john ....
    \contacts
    It seems that only some hotmail contacts are stored here

\local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live contacts
    Contains three folders referenced in the registry (see below) and a folder
    for each hotmail address

\local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live mail\contacts
    Contains a folders called default and hotmail, which have old individual
    contact files - maybe these are from when I originally installed WLM and did

Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live
    Contacts\Database points to folders that are in ...\windows live contacts.

I want to back up the contact list and I am not sure which of these folders
    have to be included. Also why are there so many different locations for
    contact lists?

Thank you
    John A, Apr 8, 2009
    1. Advertising

2. John A

...winston Guest

If you do not sign in with a Windows Live ID, then you are using the Default contacts.
    That registry key points to the name of the folder for the default contacts. Within that folder is a subfolder called DBstore that
    contains a file called contacts.edb.
    - your contacts are stored in that file.

The only contact folder in use for Windows Live Mail and shared with Windows Live Messenger is in your \user
    profile\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts folder.

E.g. I'm in Vista at this moment. The only other contact folder remaining(I deleted all earlier contact folders created by earlier
    versions of WLM and WLMsgr) is the one created by Vista Windows Mail.

--
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

"John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I am running WLM 14.0.8064.0206 on XP, and I do not log on to Windows Live.
    > I have the following folders that look like they contain contacts associated
    > with WLM:
    > c:\documents and settings\john ....
    > \contacts
    > It seems that only some hotmail contacts are stored here
    >
    > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live contacts
    > Contains three folders referenced in the registry (see below) and a folder
    > for each hotmail address
    >
    > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live mail\contacts
    > Contains a folders called default and hotmail, which have old individual
    > contact files - maybe these are from when I originally installed WLM and did
    > log in to WL)
    >
    > Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live
    > Contacts\Database points to folders that are in ...\windows live contacts.
    >
    > I want to back up the contact list and I am not sure which of these folders
    > have to be included. Also why are there so many different locations for
    > contact lists?
    >
    > Thank you
    ...winston, Apr 9, 2009
    1. Advertising

3. John A

John A Guest

Thanks winston. That helps me sort it all out! Another associated question
    - if I do sign in to WL are the contacts synchronised to a local folder? If
    so which one?

John

"...winston" wrote:

> If you do not sign in with a Windows Live ID, then you are using the Default contacts.
    > That registry key points to the name of the folder for the default contacts. Within that folder is a subfolder called DBstore that
    > contains a file called contacts.edb.
    > - your contacts are stored in that file.
    >
    > The only contact folder in use for Windows Live Mail and shared with Windows Live Messenger is in your \user
    > profile\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts folder.
    >
    > E.g. I'm in Vista at this moment. The only other contact folder remaining(I deleted all earlier contact folders created by earlier
    > versions of WLM and WLMsgr) is the one created by Vista Windows Mail.
    >
    > --
    > ...winston
    > ms-mvp mail
    >
    > "John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > I am running WLM 14.0.8064.0206 on XP, and I do not log on to Windows Live.
    > > I have the following folders that look like they contain contacts associated
    > > with WLM:
    > > c:\documents and settings\john ....
    > > \contacts
    > > It seems that only some hotmail contacts are stored here
    > >
    > > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live contacts
    > > Contains three folders referenced in the registry (see below) and a folder
    > > for each hotmail address
    > >
    > > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live mail\contacts
    > > Contains a folders called default and hotmail, which have old individual
    > > contact files - maybe these are from when I originally installed WLM and did
    > > log in to WL)
    > >
    > > Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live
    > > Contacts\Database points to folders that are in ...\windows live contacts.
    > >
    > > I want to back up the contact list and I am not sure which of these folders
    > > have to be included. Also why are there so many different locations for
    > > contact lists?
    > >
    > > Thank you

>
    >
    John A, Apr 9, 2009
  4. John A

...winston Guest

John..
    If you sign in to Windows Live in WLM, the program will create two new folders for that Live ID. The registry key will be updated
    and those folder names added. The two folders are necessary due to synchronization(one primary folder and one 'shadow' folder).

The default account will still be accessible by not signing in to Windows Live as will its contacts.

Once you create contacts in Windows Live manually in WLM, or in the web interface(contacts.live.com) or import the contact file
    *.csv (in WLM or the web interface) synchronization is then possible among WLM, WLMsgr and the web interface.
    - its best to approach adding contacts from one interface at a time(In WLM or the web interface)
    - if one adds contacts in WLM(while signed in with that Live ID), they will sync 'up' to the server. The easiest method to
    force the sync is ensure WLM is in Mail mode, press Control F5 or close WLM and open WLM. Depending upon the quantity of contacts
    it may take some time for everything to be written to both locations(the web and local stored contacts.edb files(primary and
    shadow).
    - if one adds contacts via the web interface, it should be done with WLM closed. Next open of WLM(with that Live ID used for
    sign in to Windows Live), a downward sync from the web to WLM will occur. As noted before, depending upon the quantity of contacts
    it takes some time to update all files.

- Note: If importing, I suggest using the web interface since it is more robust than the WLM import engine. E.g. One has the
    ability to enter multiple email address in a given contact(personal email, other e-mail, work e-mail, and IM address). The WLM
    import and export engine can only do **one** email address(personal by design) unlike the web interface which can export and import
    all email fields. :( ! [Maybe/Hopefully the Live Team will fix this imo extremely significant variation/discrepancy in the next
    version]

The above WLM limitation thus raises an important issue if your Default contacts contain data in **some or all of those email
    fields** and you wish to export that **all those email fields data** to a csv file for import into a Live ID in WLM or the web
    interface.
    - you can't....but you can copy the contacts.edb file from the default contact folder to the Live ID DBStore primary folder,
    replacing the Live ID's contacts.edb file. If following this approach then its best done with zero contacts in the Live ID's web
    interface and zero contacts in WLM. To do so, ensure the web interface is closed(ie. close IE), close WLM then copy/replace the
    contacts.edb files. The next open of WLM will start the sync upward. Once again, depending upon the quantity, it could take some
    time to sync.
    Note: The opposite is also possible...one can copy the contacts.edb file from a Live ID DBStore folder to the Default account's
    DBStore folder. On next open WLM will load the replaced data.

I should mention, since some folks have difficulty with contacts being stored on a remote server(using a Live ID) one has to choose
    what's best for them....ie.. use WLM in the default only mode, a Live ID mode, or both. Other options, as an example, if business
    critical contacts are involved is the potential to use a multiple email clients(e.g. Outlook for business and WLM only for Hotmail
    type accounts[hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com].

As you should be able to see...there are some benefits in either mode of operation(the Default account or using a Live ID).

Feel free to ask any question on the above if not clear.

--
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

> Thanks winston. That helps me sort it all out! Another associated question
    > - if I do sign in to WL are the contacts synchronised to a local folder? If
    > so which one?
    >
    > John
    >
    > "...winston" wrote:
    >
    >> If you do not sign in with a Windows Live ID, then you are using the Default contacts.
    >> That registry key points to the name of the folder for the default contacts. Within that folder is a subfolder called DBstore
    >> that
    >> contains a file called contacts.edb.
    >> - your contacts are stored in that file.
    >>
    >> The only contact folder in use for Windows Live Mail and shared with Windows Live Messenger is in your \user
    >> profile\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts folder.
    >>
    >> E.g. I'm in Vista at this moment. The only other contact folder remaining(I deleted all earlier contact folders created by
    >> earlier
    >> versions of WLM and WLMsgr) is the one created by Vista Windows Mail.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ...winston
    >> ms-mvp mail
    >>
    >> "John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> > I am running WLM 14.0.8064.0206 on XP, and I do not log on to Windows Live.
    >> > I have the following folders that look like they contain contacts associated
    >> > with WLM:
    >> > c:\documents and settings\john ....
    >> > \contacts
    >> > It seems that only some hotmail contacts are stored here
    >> >
    >> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live contacts
    >> > Contains three folders referenced in the registry (see below) and a folder
    >> > for each hotmail address
    >> >
    >> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live mail\contacts
    >> > Contains a folders called default and hotmail, which have old individual
    >> > contact files - maybe these are from when I originally installed WLM and did
    >> > log in to WL)
    >> >
    >> > Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live
    >> > Contacts\Database points to folders that are in ...\windows live contacts.
    >> >
    >> > I want to back up the contact list and I am not sure which of these folders
    >> > have to be included. Also why are there so many different locations for
    >> > contact lists?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you

>>
    >>
    ...winston, Apr 9, 2009
  5. John A

John A Guest

Thank you winston

That clears up all my queries about the contact list and how it works. It
    is all quite confusing and I am surprised that these differences are not
    explained when the program is initially setting up.

Thanks again

John

"...winston" wrote:

> John..
    > If you sign in to Windows Live in WLM, the program will create two new folders for that Live ID. The registry key will be updated
    > and those folder names added. The two folders are necessary due to synchronization(one primary folder and one 'shadow' folder).
    >
    > The default account will still be accessible by not signing in to Windows Live as will its contacts.
    >
    > Once you create contacts in Windows Live manually in WLM, or in the web interface(contacts.live.com) or import the contact file
    > *.csv (in WLM or the web interface) synchronization is then possible among WLM, WLMsgr and the web interface.
    > - its best to approach adding contacts from one interface at a time(In WLM or the web interface)
    > - if one adds contacts in WLM(while signed in with that Live ID), they will sync 'up' to the server. The easiest method to
    > force the sync is ensure WLM is in Mail mode, press Control F5 or close WLM and open WLM. Depending upon the quantity of contacts
    > it may take some time for everything to be written to both locations(the web and local stored contacts.edb files(primary and
    > shadow).
    > - if one adds contacts via the web interface, it should be done with WLM closed. Next open of WLM(with that Live ID used for
    > sign in to Windows Live), a downward sync from the web to WLM will occur. As noted before, depending upon the quantity of contacts
    > it takes some time to update all files.
    >
    >
    > - Note: If importing, I suggest using the web interface since it is more robust than the WLM import engine. E.g. One has the
    > ability to enter multiple email address in a given contact(personal email, other e-mail, work e-mail, and IM address). The WLM
    > import and export engine can only do **one** email address(personal by design) unlike the web interface which can export and import
    > all email fields. :( ! [Maybe/Hopefully the Live Team will fix this imo extremely significant variation/discrepancy in the next
    > version]
    >
    > The above WLM limitation thus raises an important issue if your Default contacts contain data in **some or all of those email
    > fields** and you wish to export that **all those email fields data** to a csv file for import into a Live ID in WLM or the web
    > interface.
    > - you can't....but you can copy the contacts.edb file from the default contact folder to the Live ID DBStore primary folder,
    > replacing the Live ID's contacts.edb file. If following this approach then its best done with zero contacts in the Live ID's web
    > interface and zero contacts in WLM. To do so, ensure the web interface is closed(ie. close IE), close WLM then copy/replace the
    > contacts.edb files. The next open of WLM will start the sync upward. Once again, depending upon the quantity, it could take some
    > time to sync.
    > Note: The opposite is also possible...one can copy the contacts.edb file from a Live ID DBStore folder to the Default account's
    > DBStore folder. On next open WLM will load the replaced data.
    >
    > I should mention, since some folks have difficulty with contacts being stored on a remote server(using a Live ID) one has to choose
    > what's best for them....ie.. use WLM in the default only mode, a Live ID mode, or both. Other options, as an example, if business
    > critical contacts are involved is the potential to use a multiple email clients(e.g. Outlook for business and WLM only for Hotmail
    > type accounts[hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com].
    >
    > As you should be able to see...there are some benefits in either mode of operation(the Default account or using a Live ID).
    >
    > Feel free to ask any question on the above if not clear.
    >
    >
    > --
    > ...winston
    > ms-mvp mail
    >
    > > Thanks winston. That helps me sort it all out! Another associated question
    > > - if I do sign in to WL are the contacts synchronised to a local folder? If
    > > so which one?
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > "...winston" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you do not sign in with a Windows Live ID, then you are using the Default contacts.
    > >> That registry key points to the name of the folder for the default contacts. Within that folder is a subfolder called DBstore
    > >> that
    > >> contains a file called contacts.edb.
    > >> - your contacts are stored in that file.
    > >>
    > >> The only contact folder in use for Windows Live Mail and shared with Windows Live Messenger is in your \user
    > >> profile\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts folder.
    > >>
    > >> E.g. I'm in Vista at this moment. The only other contact folder remaining(I deleted all earlier contact folders created by
    > >> earlier
    > >> versions of WLM and WLMsgr) is the one created by Vista Windows Mail.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> ...winston
    > >> ms-mvp mail
    > >>
    > >> "John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >> > I am running WLM 14.0.8064.0206 on XP, and I do not log on to Windows Live.
    > >> > I have the following folders that look like they contain contacts associated
    > >> > with WLM:
    > >> > c:\documents and settings\john ....
    > >> > \contacts
    > >> > It seems that only some hotmail contacts are stored here
    > >> >
    > >> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live contacts
    > >> > Contains three folders referenced in the registry (see below) and a folder
    > >> > for each hotmail address
    > >> >
    > >> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live mail\contacts
    > >> > Contains a folders called default and hotmail, which have old individual
    > >> > contact files - maybe these are from when I originally installed WLM and did
    > >> > log in to WL)
    > >> >
    > >> > Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live
    > >> > Contacts\Database points to folders that are in ...\windows live contacts.
    > >> >
    > >> > I want to back up the contact list and I am not sure which of these folders
    > >> > have to be included. Also why are there so many different locations for
    > >> > contact lists?
    > >> >
    > >> > Thank you
    > >>
    > >>

>
    John A, Apr 9, 2009
  6. John A

...winston Guest

P.s.
    I almost forgot to mention one important item.
    If creating a Live ID...do it via IE, not WLM.
    Go to Home.live.com
    Click Sign up
    Enter the required information
    Once done
    Logon with the Live ID at mail.live.com or hotmail.live.com
    - doing so will ensure your mailbox is setup and all the Hotmail folders
    Once done, create the Live ID account in WLM(Tools/Accounts/Add etc)
    WLM will prompt to download and sync the account folders(if new they should be blank)

Then you can choose to sign in to Windows Live with that Live ID or continue operating in the default account(all email accounts
    will still be accessible either way).
    - to access your default accounts contacts, don't sign in
    - to access your Live contacts(once you’ve imported, entered, or copied the contacts.edb file) use it to sign in

--
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

"...winston" <> wrote in message news:...
    > John..
    > If you sign in to Windows Live in WLM, the program will create two new folders for that Live ID. The registry key will be
    > updated and those folder names added. The two folders are necessary due to synchronization(one primary folder and one 'shadow'
    > folder).
    >
    > The default account will still be accessible by not signing in to Windows Live as will its contacts.
    >
    > Once you create contacts in Windows Live manually in WLM, or in the web interface(contacts.live.com) or import the contact file
    > *.csv (in WLM or the web interface) synchronization is then possible among WLM, WLMsgr and the web interface.
    > - its best to approach adding contacts from one interface at a time(In WLM or the web interface)
    > - if one adds contacts in WLM(while signed in with that Live ID), they will sync 'up' to the server. The easiest method to
    > force the sync is ensure WLM is in Mail mode, press Control F5 or close WLM and open WLM. Depending upon the quantity of
    > contacts it may take some time for everything to be written to both locations(the web and local stored contacts.edb files(primary
    > and shadow).
    > - if one adds contacts via the web interface, it should be done with WLM closed. Next open of WLM(with that Live ID used for
    > sign in to Windows Live), a downward sync from the web to WLM will occur. As noted before, depending upon the quantity of
    > contacts it takes some time to update all files.
    >
    >
    > - Note: If importing, I suggest using the web interface since it is more robust than the WLM import engine. E.g. One has the
    > ability to enter multiple email address in a given contact(personal email, other e-mail, work e-mail, and IM address). The WLM
    > import and export engine can only do **one** email address(personal by design) unlike the web interface which can export and
    > import all email fields. :( ! [Maybe/Hopefully the Live Team will fix this imo extremely significant variation/discrepancy in
    > the next version]
    >
    > The above WLM limitation thus raises an important issue if your Default contacts contain data in **some or all of those email
    > fields** and you wish to export that **all those email fields data** to a csv file for import into a Live ID in WLM or the web
    > interface.
    > - you can't....but you can copy the contacts.edb file from the default contact folder to the Live ID DBStore primary folder,
    > replacing the Live ID's contacts.edb file. If following this approach then its best done with zero contacts in the Live ID's web
    > interface and zero contacts in WLM. To do so, ensure the web interface is closed(ie. close IE), close WLM then copy/replace the
    > contacts.edb files. The next open of WLM will start the sync upward. Once again, depending upon the quantity, it could take some
    > time to sync.
    > Note: The opposite is also possible...one can copy the contacts.edb file from a Live ID DBStore folder to the Default
    > account's DBStore folder. On next open WLM will load the replaced data.
    >
    > I should mention, since some folks have difficulty with contacts being stored on a remote server(using a Live ID) one has to
    > choose what's best for them....ie.. use WLM in the default only mode, a Live ID mode, or both. Other options, as an example, if
    > business critical contacts are involved is the potential to use a multiple email clients(e.g. Outlook for business and WLM only
    > for Hotmail type accounts[hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com].
    >
    > As you should be able to see...there are some benefits in either mode of operation(the Default account or using a Live ID).
    >
    > Feel free to ask any question on the above if not clear.
    >
    >
    > --
    > ...winston
    > ms-mvp mail
    >
    >> Thanks winston. That helps me sort it all out! Another associated question
    >> - if I do sign in to WL are the contacts synchronised to a local folder? If
    >> so which one?
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> "...winston" wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you do not sign in with a Windows Live ID, then you are using the Default contacts.
    >>> That registry key points to the name of the folder for the default contacts. Within that folder is a subfolder called DBstore
    >>> that
    >>> contains a file called contacts.edb.
    >>> - your contacts are stored in that file.
    >>>
    >>> The only contact folder in use for Windows Live Mail and shared with Windows Live Messenger is in your \user
    >>> profile\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts folder.
    >>>
    >>> E.g. I'm in Vista at this moment. The only other contact folder remaining(I deleted all earlier contact folders created by
    >>> earlier
    >>> versions of WLM and WLMsgr) is the one created by Vista Windows Mail.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ...winston
    >>> ms-mvp mail
    >>>
    >>> "John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> > I am running WLM 14.0.8064.0206 on XP, and I do not log on to Windows Live.
    >>> > I have the following folders that look like they contain contacts associated
    >>> > with WLM:
    >>> > c:\documents and settings\john ....
    >>> > \contacts
    >>> > It seems that only some hotmail contacts are stored here
    >>> >
    >>> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live contacts
    >>> > Contains three folders referenced in the registry (see below) and a folder
    >>> > for each hotmail address
    >>> >
    >>> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live mail\contacts
    >>> > Contains a folders called default and hotmail, which have old individual
    >>> > contact files - maybe these are from when I originally installed WLM and did
    >>> > log in to WL)
    >>> >
    >>> > Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live
    >>> > Contacts\Database points to folders that are in ...\windows live contacts.
    >>> >
    >>> > I want to back up the contact list and I am not sure which of these folders
    >>> > have to be included. Also why are there so many different locations for
    >>> > contact lists?
    >>> >
    >>> > Thank you
    >>>
    >>>
    ...winston, Apr 9, 2009
  7. John A

John A Guest

OK Thanks
    John

"...winston" wrote:

> P.s.
    > I almost forgot to mention one important item.
    > If creating a Live ID...do it via IE, not WLM.
    > Go to Home.live.com
    > Click Sign up
    > Enter the required information
    > Once done
    > Logon with the Live ID at mail.live.com or hotmail.live.com
    > - doing so will ensure your mailbox is setup and all the Hotmail folders
    > Once done, create the Live ID account in WLM(Tools/Accounts/Add etc)
    > WLM will prompt to download and sync the account folders(if new they should be blank)
    >
    > Then you can choose to sign in to Windows Live with that Live ID or continue operating in the default account(all email accounts
    > will still be accessible either way).
    > - to access your default accounts contacts, don't sign in
    > - to access your Live contacts(once you’ve imported, entered, or copied the contacts.edb file) use it to sign in
    >
    >
    > --
    > ...winston
    > ms-mvp mail
    >
    > "...winston" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > John..
    > > If you sign in to Windows Live in WLM, the program will create two new folders for that Live ID. The registry key will be
    > > updated and those folder names added. The two folders are necessary due to synchronization(one primary folder and one 'shadow'
    > > folder).
    > >
    > > The default account will still be accessible by not signing in to Windows Live as will its contacts.
    > >
    > > Once you create contacts in Windows Live manually in WLM, or in the web interface(contacts.live.com) or import the contact file
    > > *.csv (in WLM or the web interface) synchronization is then possible among WLM, WLMsgr and the web interface.
    > > - its best to approach adding contacts from one interface at a time(In WLM or the web interface)
    > > - if one adds contacts in WLM(while signed in with that Live ID), they will sync 'up' to the server. The easiest method to
    > > force the sync is ensure WLM is in Mail mode, press Control F5 or close WLM and open WLM. Depending upon the quantity of
    > > contacts it may take some time for everything to be written to both locations(the web and local stored contacts.edb files(primary
    > > and shadow).
    > > - if one adds contacts via the web interface, it should be done with WLM closed. Next open of WLM(with that Live ID used for
    > > sign in to Windows Live), a downward sync from the web to WLM will occur. As noted before, depending upon the quantity of
    > > contacts it takes some time to update all files.
    > >
    > >
    > > - Note: If importing, I suggest using the web interface since it is more robust than the WLM import engine. E.g. One has the
    > > ability to enter multiple email address in a given contact(personal email, other e-mail, work e-mail, and IM address). The WLM
    > > import and export engine can only do **one** email address(personal by design) unlike the web interface which can export and
    > > import all email fields. :( ! [Maybe/Hopefully the Live Team will fix this imo extremely significant variation/discrepancy in
    > > the next version]
    > >
    > > The above WLM limitation thus raises an important issue if your Default contacts contain data in **some or all of those email
    > > fields** and you wish to export that **all those email fields data** to a csv file for import into a Live ID in WLM or the web
    > > interface.
    > > - you can't....but you can copy the contacts.edb file from the default contact folder to the Live ID DBStore primary folder,
    > > replacing the Live ID's contacts.edb file. If following this approach then its best done with zero contacts in the Live ID's web
    > > interface and zero contacts in WLM. To do so, ensure the web interface is closed(ie. close IE), close WLM then copy/replace the
    > > contacts.edb files. The next open of WLM will start the sync upward. Once again, depending upon the quantity, it could take some
    > > time to sync.
    > > Note: The opposite is also possible...one can copy the contacts.edb file from a Live ID DBStore folder to the Default
    > > account's DBStore folder. On next open WLM will load the replaced data.
    > >
    > > I should mention, since some folks have difficulty with contacts being stored on a remote server(using a Live ID) one has to
    > > choose what's best for them....ie.. use WLM in the default only mode, a Live ID mode, or both. Other options, as an example, if
    > > business critical contacts are involved is the potential to use a multiple email clients(e.g. Outlook for business and WLM only
    > > for Hotmail type accounts[hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com].
    > >
    > > As you should be able to see...there are some benefits in either mode of operation(the Default account or using a Live ID).
    > >
    > > Feel free to ask any question on the above if not clear.
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > ...winston
    > > ms-mvp mail
    > >
    > > "John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >> Thanks winston. That helps me sort it all out! Another associated question
    > >> - if I do sign in to WL are the contacts synchronised to a local folder? If
    > >> so which one?
    > >>
    > >> John
    > >>
    > >> "...winston" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> If you do not sign in with a Windows Live ID, then you are using the Default contacts.
    > >>> That registry key points to the name of the folder for the default contacts. Within that folder is a subfolder called DBstore
    > >>> that
    > >>> contains a file called contacts.edb.
    > >>> - your contacts are stored in that file.
    > >>>
    > >>> The only contact folder in use for Windows Live Mail and shared with Windows Live Messenger is in your \user
    > >>> profile\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts folder.
    > >>>
    > >>> E.g. I'm in Vista at this moment. The only other contact folder remaining(I deleted all earlier contact folders created by
    > >>> earlier
    > >>> versions of WLM and WLMsgr) is the one created by Vista Windows Mail.
    > >>>
    > >>> --
    > >>> ...winston
    > >>> ms-mvp mail
    > >>>
    > >>> "John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >>> > I am running WLM 14.0.8064.0206 on XP, and I do not log on to Windows Live.
    > >>> > I have the following folders that look like they contain contacts associated
    > >>> > with WLM:
    > >>> > c:\documents and settings\john ....
    > >>> > \contacts
    > >>> > It seems that only some hotmail contacts are stored here
    > >>> >
    > >>> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live contacts
    > >>> > Contains three folders referenced in the registry (see below) and a folder
    > >>> > for each hotmail address
    > >>> >
    > >>> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live mail\contacts
    > >>> > Contains a folders called default and hotmail, which have old individual
    > >>> > contact files - maybe these are from when I originally installed WLM and did
    > >>> > log in to WL)
    > >>> >
    > >>> > Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live
    > >>> > Contacts\Database points to folders that are in ...\windows live contacts.
    > >>> >
    > >>> > I want to back up the contact list and I am not sure which of these folders
    > >>> > have to be included. Also why are there so many different locations for
    > >>> > contact lists?
    > >>> >
    > >>> > Thank you
    > >>>
    > >>>

>
    John A, Apr 9, 2009
  8. John A

...winston Guest

That would be a challenge!

It might even be more confusing, since the word 'Default' as it pertains to not signing in and its associated contacts is not the
    same relative to an email account setup in WLM. Any email account can be the 'default' email account regardless if it’s a Live ID
    or not.

To take one step more toward further confusion. The default email account will use either the Default contacts(no Live ID sign) or
    the signed-in Live ID contacts.

--
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

> Thank you winston
    >
    > That clears up all my queries about the contact list and how it works. It
    > is all quite confusing and I am surprised that these differences are not
    > explained when the program is initially setting up.
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > John
    >
    > "...winston" wrote:
    >
    >> John..
    >> If you sign in to Windows Live in WLM, the program will create two new folders for that Live ID. The registry key will be
    >> updated
    >> and those folder names added. The two folders are necessary due to synchronization(one primary folder and one 'shadow' folder).
    >>
    >> The default account will still be accessible by not signing in to Windows Live as will its contacts.
    >>
    >> Once you create contacts in Windows Live manually in WLM, or in the web interface(contacts.live.com) or import the contact file
    >> *.csv (in WLM or the web interface) synchronization is then possible among WLM, WLMsgr and the web interface.
    >> - its best to approach adding contacts from one interface at a time(In WLM or the web interface)
    >> - if one adds contacts in WLM(while signed in with that Live ID), they will sync 'up' to the server. The easiest method to
    >> force the sync is ensure WLM is in Mail mode, press Control F5 or close WLM and open WLM. Depending upon the quantity of
    >> contacts
    >> it may take some time for everything to be written to both locations(the web and local stored contacts.edb files(primary and
    >> shadow).
    >> - if one adds contacts via the web interface, it should be done with WLM closed. Next open of WLM(with that Live ID used for
    >> sign in to Windows Live), a downward sync from the web to WLM will occur. As noted before, depending upon the quantity of
    >> contacts
    >> it takes some time to update all files.
    >>
    >>
    >> - Note: If importing, I suggest using the web interface since it is more robust than the WLM import engine. E.g. One has the
    >> ability to enter multiple email address in a given contact(personal email, other e-mail, work e-mail, and IM address). The WLM
    >> import and export engine can only do **one** email address(personal by design) unlike the web interface which can export and
    >> import
    >> all email fields. :( ! [Maybe/Hopefully the Live Team will fix this imo extremely significant variation/discrepancy in the next
    >> version]
    >>
    >> The above WLM limitation thus raises an important issue if your Default contacts contain data in **some or all of those email
    >> fields** and you wish to export that **all those email fields data** to a csv file for import into a Live ID in WLM or the web
    >> interface.
    >> - you can't....but you can copy the contacts.edb file from the default contact folder to the Live ID DBStore primary folder,
    >> replacing the Live ID's contacts.edb file. If following this approach then its best done with zero contacts in the Live ID's
    >> web
    >> interface and zero contacts in WLM. To do so, ensure the web interface is closed(ie. close IE), close WLM then copy/replace the
    >> contacts.edb files. The next open of WLM will start the sync upward. Once again, depending upon the quantity, it could take
    >> some
    >> time to sync.
    >> Note: The opposite is also possible...one can copy the contacts.edb file from a Live ID DBStore folder to the Default
    >> account's
    >> DBStore folder. On next open WLM will load the replaced data.
    >>
    >> I should mention, since some folks have difficulty with contacts being stored on a remote server(using a Live ID) one has to
    >> choose
    >> what's best for them....ie.. use WLM in the default only mode, a Live ID mode, or both. Other options, as an example, if
    >> business
    >> critical contacts are involved is the potential to use a multiple email clients(e.g. Outlook for business and WLM only for
    >> Hotmail
    >> type accounts[hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com].
    >>
    >> As you should be able to see...there are some benefits in either mode of operation(the Default account or using a Live ID).
    >>
    >> Feel free to ask any question on the above if not clear.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> ...winston
    >> ms-mvp mail
    >>
    >> "John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> > Thanks winston. That helps me sort it all out! Another associated question
    >> > - if I do sign in to WL are the contacts synchronised to a local folder? If
    >> > so which one?
    >> >
    >> > John
    >> >
    >> > "...winston" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> If you do not sign in with a Windows Live ID, then you are using the Default contacts.
    >> >> That registry key points to the name of the folder for the default contacts. Within that folder is a subfolder called DBstore
    >> >> that
    >> >> contains a file called contacts.edb.
    >> >> - your contacts are stored in that file.
    >> >>
    >> >> The only contact folder in use for Windows Live Mail and shared with Windows Live Messenger is in your \user
    >> >> profile\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts folder.
    >> >>
    >> >> E.g. I'm in Vista at this moment. The only other contact folder remaining(I deleted all earlier contact folders created by
    >> >> earlier
    >> >> versions of WLM and WLMsgr) is the one created by Vista Windows Mail.
    >> >>
    >> >> --
    >> >> ...winston
    >> >> ms-mvp mail
    >> >>
    >> >> "John A" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> >> > I am running WLM 14.0.8064.0206 on XP, and I do not log on to Windows Live.
    >> >> > I have the following folders that look like they contain contacts associated
    >> >> > with WLM:
    >> >> > c:\documents and settings\john ....
    >> >> > \contacts
    >> >> > It seems that only some hotmail contacts are stored here
    >> >> >
    >> >> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live contacts
    >> >> > Contains three folders referenced in the registry (see below) and a folder
    >> >> > for each hotmail address
    >> >> >
    >> >> > \local settings\applcation data\microsoft\windows live mail\contacts
    >> >> > Contains a folders called default and hotmail, which have old individual
    >> >> > contact files - maybe these are from when I originally installed WLM and did
    >> >> > log in to WL)
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live
    >> >> > Contacts\Database points to folders that are in ...\windows live contacts.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > I want to back up the contact list and I am not sure which of these folders
    >> >> > have to be included. Also why are there so many different locations for
    >> >> > contact lists?
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Thank you
    >> >>
    >> >>

>>
    ...winston, Apr 10, 2009
  9. John A

...winston Guest

you're welcome.

--
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

> OK Thanks
    > John
    >
    > "...winston" wrote:
    >
    >> P.s.
    >> I almost forgot to mention one important item.
    >> If creating a Live ID...do it via IE, not WLM.
    >> Go to Home.live.com
    >> Click Sign up
    >> Enter the required information
    >> Once done
    >> Logon with the Live ID at mail.live.com or hotmail.live.com
    >> - doing so will ensure your mailbox is setup and all the Hotmail folders
    >> Once done, create the Live ID account in WLM(Tools/Accounts/Add etc)
    >> WLM will prompt to download and sync the account folders(if new they should be blank)
    >>
    >> Then you can choose to sign in to Windows Live with that Live ID or continue operating in the default account(all email accounts
    >> will still be accessible either way).
    >> - to access your default accounts contacts, don't sign in
    >> - to access your Live contacts(once you’ve imported, entered, or copied the contacts.edb file) use it to sign in
    ...winston, Apr 10, 2009
  10. John A

...winston Guest

Don't change the registry path.
    Windows, WLM, and WLMsgr are smart enough to know the registry data and actual location(while they appear differnent) are one and
    the same.
    Think of the former as a pointer rather than the actual path.

If you create a Live Id and import those contacts into WLM or via the web interface(preferred) are they present in WLM after a Live
    sychronization ?
    - If so, then you will have the ability to copy that Live ID's contacts.edb file to the Default contacts(no Live ID used for sign
    in) DBStore folder and replace the existing Default contacts.edb.

And please, if at all possible, refrain from duplicate posts on the same topic. If responses don't resolve the issue, then contact
    support, though its best to have a Windows Live ID to do so..
    WLM Support
    1. Logon to http://account.live.com using your Windows Live ID, the cut and paste one the following urls to your browsers address
    bar, the press the enter key
    https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmaildesktop
    or
    https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmaildesktop&ct=eformts

2. Click on the first item in the left hand pane FAQ List(e.g. click on How do I install and run WLM for the first time) then allow
    that item to load in the right hand pane
    3. Look in lower right, click on 'Get more Help', allow that page to load
    4. Click on 'Get Support', the e-form will load.

Note..Logging one with your Live ID in step 1 at account.live.com should also ensure that your account's Full name and email
    address fields are automatically filled in on the e-form

--
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

<> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > You seems to know a lot about WLM and contact folders for it cause I
    > saw your posts all over the net (few forums)
    >
    > I have upgraded my old Windows Live Mail today to the newest version
    > 14.0.8064.0206
    >
    > All my contacts are gone but thats not a big problem cause I found
    > them as well as I have a backup.
    >
    > The problem is that if a add a new contact or import an old one its
    > not being held in WLM
    >
    > All the contacts keeps deleting on program close.
    >
    > I use WLM wihout Live ID. Its always logged of. I just liked it for my
    > email till today.
    >
    > I have tried to remove all the contacts folders, restore them as well
    > as play with them.
    >
    > I can add contacts fine and use them till I close the WLM. When I
    > close it everything gets deleted.
    >
    >
    > Another funny thing is REGISTRY
    >
    > Windows Live Contacts/Database still shows
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Contacts\Default\ with
    > the name {a714e847-261a-4c9e-adee-d55a544d4702}
    >
    > The software really creates this folder in
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\local Settings\Application Data
    > \Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts {a714e847-261a-4c9e-adee-
    > d55a544d4702}
    >
    >
    > I have tried changing the registry key to point to right folder as
    > well as copy the folder content to "old" path shown in the registry.
    >
    > Either of those ways doesnt show my contacts. I can add them and use
    > them unless I close the WLM. Everything gets deleted when I close the
    > program.
    >
    > I have tried deleting the storage folder and the registry keys Windows
    > Live Contacts . Everything gets recreated like it was before ;(
    >
    > Please advise and help.
    >
    > Michael
    >
    >
    ...winston, Apr 20, 2009
  11. John A

...winston Guest

Originally you stated that you are not using a Live ID to sign in to Windows Live.
    - Your words:
    <qp>I use WLM wihout Live ID </qp>

To sync with Live server, a Live ID account must be setup in WLM and that account must be used to sign in to Windows Live.
    - Are you doing this ?

--
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

> Hello
    >
    >
    > I have done evrythinh all over again and still have no joy.
    >
    > How do I sync with online LIVE services??
    >
    > 1. I have tried adding contacts to WLM but it doesnt show online.
    >
    > It is somehow corrupted because it also doesnt EXPORT to csv or vcf.
    >
    > All the contact I add or import gets deleted when i shut the program
    > down.
    >
    > 2. I have tried adding some contacts online and I have them there but
    > it doesnt SYNC to my WLM after Login.
    >
    > I have tried to log in and off several times, to use WLM with or
    > without Live ID connection but still no results.
    >
    > I wil contact support but still all the people with the similair
    > problem are welcome to post ideas.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Michael
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On Apr 20, 7:54 pm, "...winston" <> wrote:
    >> Don't change the registry path.
    >> Windows, WLM, and WLMsgr are smart enough to know the registry data and actual location(while they appear differnent) are one
    >> and
    >> the same.
    >> Think of the former as a pointer rather than the actual path.
    >>
    >> If you create a Live Id and import those contacts into WLM or via the web interface(preferred) are they present in WLM after a
    >> Live
    >> sychronization ?
    >> - If so, then you will have the ability to copy that Live ID's contacts.edb file to the Default contacts(no Live ID used for
    >> sign
    >> in) DBStore folder and replace the existing Default contacts.edb.
    >>
    >> And please, if at all possible, refrain from duplicate posts on the same topic. If responses don't resolve the issue, then
    >> contact
    >> support, though its best to have a Windows Live ID to do so..
    >> WLM Support
    >> 1. Logon tohttp://account.live.comusing your Windows Live ID, the cut and paste one the following urls to your browsers address
    >> bar, the press the enter key
    >> https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmaildesktop
    >> or
    >> https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmaildesktop&ct=eformts
    >>
    >> 2. Click on the first item in the left hand pane FAQ List(e.g. click on How do I install and run WLM for the first time) then
    >> allow
    >> that item to load in the right hand pane
    >> 3. Look in lower right, click on 'Get more Help', allow that page to load
    >> 4. Click on 'Get Support', the e-form will load.
    >>
    >> Note..Logging one with your Live ID in step 1 at account.live.com should also ensure that your account's Full name and email
    >> address fields are automatically filled in on the e-form
    >>
    >> --
    >> ...winston
    >> ms-mvp mail
    >>
    >> <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >>
    >> > Hi

>>
    >> > You seems to know a lot about WLM and contact folders for it cause I
    >> > saw your posts all over the net (few forums)

>>
    >> > I have upgraded my old Windows Live Mail today to the newest version
    >> > 14.0.8064.0206

>>
    >> > All my contacts are gone but thats not a big problem cause I found
    >> > them as well as I have a backup.

>>
    >> > The problem is that if a add a new contact or import an old one its
    >> > not being held in WLM

>>
    >> > All the contacts keeps deleting on program close.

>>
    >> > I use WLM wihout Live ID. Its always logged of. I just liked it for my
    >> > email till today.

>>
    >> > I have tried to remove all the contacts folders, restore them as well
    >> > as play with them.

>>
    >> > I can add contacts fine and use them till I close the WLM. When I
    >> > close it everything gets deleted.

>>
    >> > Another funny thing is REGISTRY

>>
    >> > Windows Live Contacts/Database still shows

>>
    >> > C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Contacts\Default\ with
    >> > the name {a714e847-261a-4c9e-adee-d55a544d4702}

>>
    >> > The software really creates this folder in

>>
    >> > C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\local Settings\Application Data
    >> > \Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts {a714e847-261a-4c9e-adee-
    >> > d55a544d4702}

>>
    >> > I have tried changing the registry key to point to right folder as
    >> > well as copy the folder content to "old" path shown in the registry.

>>
    >> > Either of those ways doesnt show my contacts. I can add them and use
    >> > them unless I close the WLM. Everything gets deleted when I close the
    >> > program.

>>
    >> > I have tried deleting the storage folder and the registry keys Windows
    >> > Live Contacts . Everything gets recreated like it was before ;(

>>
    >> > Please advise and help.

>>
    >> > Michael

>
    ...winston, Apr 21, 2009
  12. John A

...winston Guest

Yes, I have the latest version of WLM in both XPProSP3 and Vista and contacts are functional in the Default account(no Live ID) and
    Live ID(sign in to Windows Live). Import and Export functions for both.
    --
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

p.s. Wilson was Dennis' next door neighbor

> Thanks for your support Wilson
    >
    > I have created a support request and got a quick thank you note but no
    > support so far.
    >
    > Its the third day without my contacts and I have probably tried
    > wvwrything on my XP computer.
    >
    > I have WLM on my Vista laptop upgraded to the new version which works
    > fine on the other hand.
    >
    > On my XP computer I have tried to use REPAIR option in ADD and REMOVE
    > PROGRAMS
    >
    > I have also uninstalled WLM and removed all folders and regitry
    > entries for it. After this clean up and restart I have installed it
    > again.
    >
    > Still having the same problem, its impossible to remove.
    >
    > Have you got the newest version and no contact problem ??
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Michael
    ...winston, Apr 23, 2009
  13. John A

Wig Guest

Well I find your information very informative. That is the fact that WLM has
    a nasty habit of losing all my new contacts when WLM is closed and reopened.
    I would like to know if you have seen a FIX by Microsoft?
    I am running Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.0726) on XP Home Edition.
    Thanks for any help you can offer,
    Clarence

"" wrote:

> Hi
    >
    > I have found partial solution to the problem. That might be useful
    > for someone, who needs contacts in upgraded WLM
    >
    > I have swapped my contacts database with my other XP computer
    > database.
    >
    > That works fine and all the contacts stays in WLM even after restart
    > or program shut down.
    >
    > I still CANT add any new contacts - its being added fine but
    > disappears after the program restart.
    > I CAN however delete contacts which gets deleted after program restart
    > or shut down.
    >
    > That shows a fact that:
    >
    > WLM saves some changes to the contact database (only deleting)
    > WLM doesnt properly add new contacts or categories to the database
    > (everything disappears after restart)
    > WLM doesnt properly EXPORT or IMPORT contact database which shows some
    > corruption of database access features.
    > WLM uses proper database fine without add on functionality.
    >
    > Please let me know if you know any solution to WLM Contacts problem
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Michael
    >
    Wig, Oct 26, 2009
  14. John A

...winston Guest

No updates or fixes addressing contacts in WLM have been released by Msft.
    - If WLM doesn't maintain your contacts in the Default mode(not using a Live ID to sign on to Windows Live in WLM), then your only
    resource at this time
    - import them using a saved contact *.csv file into a Live ID contact list(import in the web UI at people.live.com via
    Manage/Import) and thereafter sign on with that Live ID to Windows Live when using WLM

--
    ...winston
    ms-mvp mail

"Wig" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Well I find your information very informative. That is the fact that WLM has
    > a nasty habit of losing all my new contacts when WLM is closed and reopened.
    > I would like to know if you have seen a FIX by Microsoft?
    > I am running Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.0726) on XP Home Edition.
    > Thanks for any help you can offer,
    > Clarence
    >
    > "" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have found partial solution to the problem. That might be useful
    >> for someone, who needs contacts in upgraded WLM
    >>
    >> I have swapped my contacts database with my other XP computer
    >> database.
    >>
    >> That works fine and all the contacts stays in WLM even after restart
    >> or program shut down.
    >>
    >> I still CANT add any new contacts - its being added fine but
    >> disappears after the program restart.
    >> I CAN however delete contacts which gets deleted after program restart
    >> or shut down.
    >>
    >> That shows a fact that:
    >>
    >> WLM saves some changes to the contact database (only deleting)
    >> WLM doesnt properly add new contacts or categories to the database
    >> (everything disappears after restart)
    >> WLM doesnt properly EXPORT or IMPORT contact database which shows some
    >> corruption of database access features.
    >> WLM uses proper database fine without add on functionality.
    >>
    >> Please let me know if you know any solution to WLM Contacts problem
    >>
    >> Best
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>
    ...winston, Oct 26, 2009
    1. Advertising