Wrong Icon in Programs Toolbar

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer' started by Bill, Mar 21, 2011.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Can someone tell me why I cannot get the correct icon to appear in my
    Programs Toolbar (Windows XP). The icon keeps appearing as the "Smiley
    Face" but when I right-click the toolbar icon, select "Properties",
    the correct icon is present. When I select "Change Icon", the correct
    icon is the only one shown. I select it, click OK, and it still
    appears as a "Smiley Face". Please advise!

    Bill
     
    Bill, Mar 21, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bill

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/21/2011 3:32 PM, Bill wrote:
    > Can someone tell me why I cannot get the correct icon to appear in my
    > Programs Toolbar (Windows XP). The icon keeps appearing as the "Smiley
    > Face" but when I right-click the toolbar icon, select "Properties",
    > the correct icon is present. When I select "Change Icon", the correct
    > icon is the only one shown. I select it, click OK, and it still
    > appears as a "Smiley Face". Please advise!
    >
    > Bill


    Sounds like you need to rebuild the icon cache, Bill. Here is some of
    the ways to do this.

    http://smallvoid.com/article/windows-icon-cache.html

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
     
    BillW50, Mar 21, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Thanks Bill, for your response! Unfortunately, nothing I tried on your
    Smallvoid.com page helped. In fact, the suggestion to Open Control
    Panel, double-click Display applet, select Appearance worked up until
    I discovered I had no "Item-dropdown", so I increased the size anyway
    and proceeded on, but that didn't work either. I also tried the
    TweakUI rebuild icons thing and no luck. I probably should have
    mentioned that I have 32 icons in my Programs toolbar and only one
    will NOT display the proper icon!

    Bill

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:39:52 -0500, BillW50 <> wrote:

    >On 3/21/2011 3:32 PM, Bill wrote:
    >> Can someone tell me why I cannot get the correct icon to appear in my
    >> Programs Toolbar (Windows XP). The icon keeps appearing as the "Smiley
    >> Face" but when I right-click the toolbar icon, select "Properties",
    >> the correct icon is present. When I select "Change Icon", the correct
    >> icon is the only one shown. I select it, click OK, and it still
    >> appears as a "Smiley Face". Please advise!
    >>
    >> Bill

    >
    >Sounds like you need to rebuild the icon cache, Bill. Here is some of
    >the ways to do this.
    >
    >http://smallvoid.com/article/windows-icon-cache.html
     
    Bill, Mar 21, 2011
    #3
  4. Bill

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/21/2011 5:18 PM, Bill wrote:
    > Thanks Bill, for your response! Unfortunately, nothing I tried on your
    > Smallvoid.com page helped. In fact, the suggestion to Open Control
    > Panel, double-click Display applet, select Appearance worked up until
    > I discovered I had no "Item-dropdown", so I increased the size anyway
    > and proceeded on, but that didn't work either. I also tried the
    > TweakUI rebuild icons thing and no luck. I probably should have
    > mentioned that I have 32 icons in my Programs toolbar and only one
    > will NOT display the proper icon!
    >
    > Bill


    Oh wow! Maybe you have a corrupt user account.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
     
    BillW50, Mar 21, 2011
    #4
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Bill,

    Did some tinkering and I found that if I set the Programs toolbar to
    "Large Buttons", i get the desired icon! Is there some limit to the
    size of these icons so that they will appear with "Large Buttons"
    unchecked?

    Bill


    On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:45:42 -0500, BillW50 <> wrote:

    >On 3/21/2011 5:18 PM, Bill wrote:
    >> Thanks Bill, for your response! Unfortunately, nothing I tried on your
    >> Smallvoid.com page helped. In fact, the suggestion to Open Control
    >> Panel, double-click Display applet, select Appearance worked up until
    >> I discovered I had no "Item-dropdown", so I increased the size anyway
    >> and proceeded on, but that didn't work either. I also tried the
    >> TweakUI rebuild icons thing and no luck. I probably should have
    >> mentioned that I have 32 icons in my Programs toolbar and only one
    >> will NOT display the proper icon!
    >>
    >> Bill

    >
    >Oh wow! Maybe you have a corrupt user account.
     
    Bill, Mar 22, 2011
    #5
  6. Bill

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/21/2011 10:42 PM, Bill wrote:
    > Bill,
    >
    > Did some tinkering and I found that if I set the Programs toolbar to
    > "Large Buttons", i get the desired icon! Is there some limit to the
    > size of these icons so that they will appear with "Large Buttons"
    > unchecked?
    >
    > Bill


    Hi Bill! I have no idea what is going on now, except maybe you have a
    corrupt user account. I would create a new user and try that one. If
    that works, delete the old one. Get your data out of the old one first
    though.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
     
    BillW50, Mar 22, 2011
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Wayne4Js

    Word&Excel:Add-Edit Toolbar&Buttons:Autocorrect to Excel Toolbar!!

    Wayne4Js, May 10, 2008, in forum: Windows Vista General Discussion
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    640
    Nicholas Hall
    May 12, 2008
  2. Peter
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    248
    Peter
    May 27, 2008
  3. Scott H.

    Links toolbar should behave like menu toolbar

    Scott H., Feb 7, 2006, in forum: Internet Explorer
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    260
    Nate Gesner
    May 29, 2006
  4. William Li

    How to write an IE toolbar such as MSN toolbar?

    William Li, Apr 4, 2006, in forum: Internet Explorer
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    739
    Galen
    Apr 4, 2006
  5. Chris Fazio
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    462
    Chris Fazio
    Feb 1, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page