[XP SP3, Windows Update] Successfully installed KB974417 and KB976569appear again

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by Matthias Spanier, May 23, 2010.

  1. Hello,

    XP SP3 recently has been re-installed on a PC. After that, all available
    Windows Updates have been downloaded and installed. But the KB974417
    installation failed.

    Searching that topic at Google, I found KB974417 to be in conflict with
    KB976569.
    I uninstalled KB976569, re-booted the PC, ran Windows Update, downloaded
    KB974417 and installed it successfully, re-booted the PC, ran Windows
    Update, downloaded KB976569 and installed it successfully.

    Having installed KB974417 and KB976569, some issue however remains:
    Windows Update still keeps offering KB974417 and KB976569.

    Why please does Windows Update not recognize those successfully
    installed KB974417 and KB976569 as completed, why please does Windows
    Update keep offering these? How can that issue be resolved?

    Thank you in advance.

    Regards,
    Matthias
    --
    Die Money99V2000-Site: <http://www.money99.de.tf/>
    Mit Link zur FAQ
    Infos zum Onlinebanking über Money mit HBCI
    Und vieles mehr
    Matthias Spanier, May 23, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Re: [XP SP3, Windows Update] Successfully installed KB974417 and KB976569 appear again

    Assuming both are now listed in Add/Remove Programs:

    1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

    Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
    Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
    (Stopping the service will take a moment)

    2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

    Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
    Open the Download folder and delete its contents
    Close the window.

    3. Open IE (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and
    allow the scan to complete | Confirm that neither update is offered (but
    install any other critical security updates offered).

    4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

    Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
    Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
    (Starting the service will take a moment)
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


    Matthias Spanier wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > XP SP3 recently has been re-installed on a PC. After that, all available
    > Windows Updates have been downloaded and installed. But the KB974417
    > installation failed.
    >
    > Searching that topic at Google, I found KB974417 to be in conflict with
    > KB976569.
    > I uninstalled KB976569, re-booted the PC, ran Windows Update, downloaded
    > KB974417 and installed it successfully, re-booted the PC, ran Windows
    > Update, downloaded KB976569 and installed it successfully.
    >
    > Having installed KB974417 and KB976569, some issue however remains:
    > Windows Update still keeps offering KB974417 and KB976569.
    >
    > Why please does Windows Update not recognize those successfully
    > installed KB974417 and KB976569 as completed, why please does Windows
    > Update keep offering these? How can that issue be resolved?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Matthias
    PA Bear [MS MVP], May 23, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Re: [XP SP3, Windows Update] Successfully installed KB974417 andKB976569 appear again

    Hello,

    Am 23.05.2010 17:11 schrieb PA Bear [MS MVP]:

    > Assuming both are now listed in Add/Remove Programs:


    KB976569 is listed but I did not detect KB974417.

    Although these preconditions are not fulfilled, I tried the following steps.

    > 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
    >
    > Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
    > Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
    > (Stopping the service will take a moment)


    Done.

    > 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
    >
    > Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
    > Open the Download folder and delete its contents
    > Close the window.


    Done.

    > 3. Open IE (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and
    > allow the scan to complete | Confirm that neither update is offered (but
    > install any other critical security updates offered).


    All other windows updates have been installed before. The only ones
    offered are KB974417 ("important") and KB976569 ("optional").
    And in spite of steps 1 and 2, the latter two still have been offered.

    > 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
    >
    > Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
    > Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
    > (Starting the service will take a moment)


    For whatever reason, that service had already been restarted.

    Second try (slightly modified):

    - Step 1: Done.

    - Step 2: Done.

    - Step 3:
    At <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> in the upper right corner, the
    settings were as follows (in German language - my translation might
    differ from what is displayed to you): Automatic updates are activated.
    Updates are downloaded automatically but installed after manual
    confirmation.

    Before continuing, I set the automatic updates to "deactivated".

    Then I started the custom search.
    Once again, KB974417 ("important") and KB976569 ("optional") have been
    offered.

    - Step 4: That service had already been restarted.

    Do you have any other idea, please?

    Regards, Matthias
    --
    Die Money99V2000-Site: <http://www.money99.de.tf/>
    Mit Link zur FAQ
    Infos zum Onlinebanking über Money mit HBCI
    Und vieles mehr
    Matthias Spanier, May 23, 2010
    #3
  4. Re: [XP SP3, Windows Update] Successfully installed KB974417 and KB976569 appear again

    > Before continuing, I set the automatic updates to "deactivated".

    Re-activate (re-enable) Automatic Updates now.

    See the "How to obtain help" section of
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974417

    For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
    (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
    States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
    There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
    updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
    Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB974417).

    Or you can...

    Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

    Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
    can visit the following page for assistance:
    https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/

    For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
    for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
    site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

    For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
    your usual support contacts.

    Matthias Spanier wrote:
    >> Assuming both are now listed in Add/Remove Programs:

    >
    > KB976569 is listed but I did not detect KB974417.
    >
    > Although these preconditions are not fulfilled, I tried the following
    > steps.
    >
    >> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
    >>
    >> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
    >> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
    >> (Stopping the service will take a moment)

    >
    > Done.
    >
    >> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
    >>
    >> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
    >> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
    >> Close the window.

    >
    > Done.
    >
    >> 3. Open IE (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM
    >> and
    >> allow the scan to complete | Confirm that neither update is offered (but
    >> install any other critical security updates offered).

    >
    > All other windows updates have been installed before. The only ones
    > offered are KB974417 ("important") and KB976569 ("optional").
    > And in spite of steps 1 and 2, the latter two still have been offered.
    >
    >> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
    >>
    >> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
    >> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
    >> (Starting the service will take a moment)

    >
    > For whatever reason, that service had already been restarted.
    >
    > Second try (slightly modified):
    >
    > - Step 1: Done.
    >
    > - Step 2: Done.
    >
    > - Step 3:
    > At <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> in the upper right corner, the
    > settings were as follows (in German language - my translation might
    > differ from what is displayed to you): Automatic updates are activated.
    > Updates are downloaded automatically but installed after manual
    > confirmation.
    >
    > Before continuing, I set the automatic updates to "deactivated".
    >
    > Then I started the custom search.
    > Once again, KB974417 ("important") and KB976569 ("optional") have been
    > offered.
    >
    > - Step 4: That service had already been restarted.
    >
    > Do you have any other idea, please?
    >
    > Regards, Matthias
    PA Bear [MS MVP], May 23, 2010
    #4
  5. Re: [XP SP3, Windows Update] Successfully installed KB974417 andKB976569 appear again

    Hello,

    Am 23.05.2010 20:35 schrieb PA Bear [MS MVP]:

    > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
    > (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
    > States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
    > There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
    > updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
    > Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB974417).


    Fyi: The issue concerning KB974417, KB976569 and in the meantime also
    KB982168, KB979909 has been solved.

    I followed your advice and called the German Microsoft subsidiary.

    Being told to reboot whenever required, to download (once) and run
    (twice) some "Net Framework Cleanup", to download and install all the
    members of the .Net Framework Family (1.1, 1.1SP1, 2.0, 2.0SP1, 3.5,
    3.5SP1), to run Windows Update and install all .Net Framework updates,
    finally everything works.
    I.e. these four updates no longer are re-offered after successful
    installation.

    Regards, Matthias
    --
    Die Money99V2000-Site: <http://www.money99.de.tf/>
    Mit Link zur FAQ
    Infos zum Onlinebanking über Money mit HBCI
    Und vieles mehr
    Matthias Spanier, Jun 15, 2010
    #5
  6. Re: [XP SP3, Windows Update] Successfully installed KB974417 and KB976569 appear again

    YW. See "OPTION B" section of this related post of mine in this newsgroup:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/2a08a395fb538679

    Matthias Spanier wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Am 23.05.2010 20:35 schrieb PA Bear [MS MVP]:
    >
    >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
    >> (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the
    >> United
    >> States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
    >> There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
    >> updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
    >> Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB974417).

    >
    > Fyi: The issue concerning KB974417, KB976569 and in the meantime also
    > KB982168, KB979909 has been solved.
    >
    > I followed your advice and called the German Microsoft subsidiary.
    >
    > Being told to reboot whenever required, to download (once) and run
    > (twice) some "Net Framework Cleanup", to download and install all the
    > members of the .Net Framework Family (1.1, 1.1SP1, 2.0, 2.0SP1, 3.5,
    > 3.5SP1), to run Windows Update and install all .Net Framework updates,
    > finally everything works.
    > I.e. these four updates no longer are re-offered after successful
    > installation.
    >
    > Regards, Matthias
    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jun 15, 2010
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Opinicus
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    299
    Nicholas
    Aug 24, 2003
  2. kevin gipple

    security update 823559 again and again and again

    kevin gipple, Jan 29, 2004, in forum: Windows Update
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    149
    Kari [MSFT]
    Jan 29, 2004
  3. Mark Hazebroek
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    223
    Mark Hazebroek
    Sep 21, 2005
  4. Dags
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    178
    David H. Lipman
    Oct 15, 2005
  5. barrowhill
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    347
    barrowhill
    Dec 11, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page