Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Vista Drivers > turn off +5V from usb port

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

turn off +5V from usb port

 
 
Gianni Zanone
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-19-2006
I would like to use +5V generated by usb port as switch to turn on and off a
device.
This device has external power supply. I tried to put the device in D3 power
state but the usb port still generates +5V.
Can i do this by software?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Marquardt
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-19-2006
Gianni Zanone wrote:

> I would like to use +5V generated by usb port as switch to turn on and off a
> device.
> This device has external power supply. I tried to put the device in D3 power
> state but the usb port still generates +5V.
> Can i do this by software?


Forget about it. You probably want to abuse the USB for a non-device.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gianni Zanone
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-19-2006
No it is a full functional usb device with driver. Can i do something in the
driver to do that?

"Robert Marquardt" wrote:

> Gianni Zanone wrote:
>
> > I would like to use +5V generated by usb port as switch to turn on and off a
> > device.
> > This device has external power supply. I tried to put the device in D3 power
> > state but the usb port still generates +5V.
> > Can i do this by software?

>
> Forget about it. You probably want to abuse the USB for a non-device.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Marquardt
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-19-2006
Gianni Zanone wrote:

> No it is a full functional usb device with driver. Can i do something in the
> driver to do that?


So you should already know that a hub is not required to allow power
switching for individual ports.

Why not implementing a command to the device telling it to consume less
power?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port. satadru Windows Vista Hardware 12 09-13-2008 07:53 AM
Turn Off Display - but, it will not turn back on, must reboot David Wess Windows Vista General Discussion 6 04-01-2008 12:48 PM
How to turn off power to a USB port cpparm Windows Vista Drivers 1 12-21-2007 06:48 PM
USB hard drive won't work on a USB 2 port but will on a USB 1.1 port.Why? Gary Schnabl Windows Vista General Discussion 0 05-24-2007 08:29 AM
I2C through PC parallel port, serial port and/or USB port - please help Adam Windows Vista Drivers 22 06-29-2004 04:48 PM