Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Live Mail > Unable to open PDF files in Windows Live Mail on Windows 7

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Unable to open PDF files in Windows Live Mail on Windows 7

 
 
captnice
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-05-2009
I recent upgraded from Vista 64 to 64-bit Windows 7. When I attempt to open
a PDF file attachment in Windows Live Mail, I get a message box telling me
that I do not have a program associated with this file type. I was able to
open PDF attachements before I upgraded. I have double-checked my "Default
Programs" control panel and .pdf is associated with Adobe Reader. If I save
the .pdf file, I can open it with a simple double-click, indicating to me
that the association is correct.

I can open PDF file attachments in Hotmail and Outlook. What is going wrong
in Windows Live Mail? I recently re-installed Windows Live Mail and Adobe
Reader and nothing changed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gary VanderMolen
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-05-2009
The following fix was developed for Vista, so no guarantees:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...dows-Mail.html

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen


"captnice" <> wrote in message news:F9066FE0-2E5F-431E-8977-...
>I recent upgraded from Vista 64 to 64-bit Windows 7. When I attempt to open
> a PDF file attachment in Windows Live Mail, I get a message box telling me
> that I do not have a program associated with this file type. I was able to
> open PDF attachements before I upgraded. I have double-checked my "Default
> Programs" control panel and .pdf is associated with Adobe Reader. If I save
> the .pdf file, I can open it with a simple double-click, indicating to me
> that the association is correct.
>
> I can open PDF file attachments in Hotmail and Outlook. What is going wrong
> in Windows Live Mail? I recently re-installed Windows Live Mail and Adobe
> Reader and nothing changed.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Aldwinckle
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      11-05-2009

"captnice" <> wrote in message news:F9066FE0-2E5F-431E-8977-...
> I recent upgraded from Vista 64 to 64-bit Windows 7. When I attempt to open
> a PDF file attachment in Windows Live Mail, I get a message box telling me
> that I do not have a program associated with this file type. I was able to
> open PDF attachements before I upgraded. I have double-checked my "Default
> Programs" control panel and .pdf is associated with Adobe Reader. If I save
> the .pdf file, I can open it with a simple double-click, indicating to me
> that the association is correct.
>
> I can open PDF file attachments in Hotmail and Outlook.


> What is going wrong in Windows Live Mail?


Probably nothing.

> I recently re-installed Windows Live Mail and Adobe
> Reader and nothing changed.


What are AR's Preferences? Hint: press Ctrl-k
Try unchecking Display PDF in browser
and see if your symptom changes?

BTW did you also get a recent update for IE?
Perhaps you should "reinstall" AR after that too? ; )
Tip: instead of reinstalling it just use its Repair
procedure, e.g. via appwiz.cpl (aka ARP or whatever
Vista and W7 are now calling it.)


Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wits end
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-19-2010
I can't set adobe to open pdf files in WLM either....and get that same error
message

Robert, I did what you said re adobe repair and unticked 'display pdf in
browser' and that didn't work either.

What else can be done...surely this is a major problem for everyone.....is
there no-one that can view pdf files in WLM in adobe?


"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

>
> "captnice" <> wrote in message news:F9066FE0-2E5F-431E-8977-...
> > I recent upgraded from Vista 64 to 64-bit Windows 7. When I attempt to open
> > a PDF file attachment in Windows Live Mail, I get a message box telling me
> > that I do not have a program associated with this file type. I was able to
> > open PDF attachements before I upgraded. I have double-checked my "Default
> > Programs" control panel and .pdf is associated with Adobe Reader. If I save
> > the .pdf file, I can open it with a simple double-click, indicating to me
> > that the association is correct.
> >
> > I can open PDF file attachments in Hotmail and Outlook.

>
> > What is going wrong in Windows Live Mail?

>
> Probably nothing.
>
> > I recently re-installed Windows Live Mail and Adobe
> > Reader and nothing changed.

>
> What are AR's Preferences? Hint: press Ctrl-k
> Try unchecking Display PDF in browser
> and see if your symptom changes?
>
> BTW did you also get a recent update for IE?
> Perhaps you should "reinstall" AR after that too? ; )
> Tip: instead of reinstalling it just use its Repair
> procedure, e.g. via appwiz.cpl (aka ARP or whatever
> Vista and W7 are now calling it.)
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
> .
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Wits end
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-19-2010

I can't set adobe to open pdf files in WLM either....and get that same error
message

Robert, I did what you said re adobe repair and unticked 'display pdf in
browser' and that didn't work either.

What else can be done...surely this is a major problem for everyone.....is
there no-one that can view pdf files in WLM in adobe?


"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:


"Wits end" wrote:

> I can't set adobe to open pdf files in WLM either....and get that same error
> message
>
> Robert, I did what you said re adobe repair and unticked 'display pdf in
> browser' and that didn't work either.
>
> What else can be done...surely this is a major problem for everyone.....is
> there no-one that can view pdf files in WLM in adobe?
>
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
> >
> > "captnice" <> wrote in message news:F9066FE0-2E5F-431E-8977-...
> > > I recent upgraded from Vista 64 to 64-bit Windows 7. When I attempt to open
> > > a PDF file attachment in Windows Live Mail, I get a message box telling me
> > > that I do not have a program associated with this file type. I was able to
> > > open PDF attachements before I upgraded. I have double-checked my "Default
> > > Programs" control panel and .pdf is associated with Adobe Reader. If I save
> > > the .pdf file, I can open it with a simple double-click, indicating to me
> > > that the association is correct.
> > >
> > > I can open PDF file attachments in Hotmail and Outlook.

> >
> > > What is going wrong in Windows Live Mail?

> >
> > Probably nothing.
> >
> > > I recently re-installed Windows Live Mail and Adobe
> > > Reader and nothing changed.

> >
> > What are AR's Preferences? Hint: press Ctrl-k
> > Try unchecking Display PDF in browser
> > and see if your symptom changes?
> >
> > BTW did you also get a recent update for IE?
> > Perhaps you should "reinstall" AR after that too? ; )
> > Tip: instead of reinstalling it just use its Repair
> > procedure, e.g. via appwiz.cpl (aka ARP or whatever
> > Vista and W7 are now calling it.)
> >
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > Robert Aldwinckle
> > ---
> >
> >
> > .
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Aldwinckle
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-20-2010

"Ian Cockram" <> wrote in message
news4CFA0ED-82C4-4EAC-87C9-...
>
> I have had similar issues with .pdf not working with WLMail.
>


> Each time a quick fix sorted the problem by resetting WLMail as the
> default
> e-mail program.



I can't imagine why that would have helped. Have you tried tracing this
with ProcMon to try to understand what is happening then?


>
> Go to Default programs in Control Panel. Then > Set program access and
> computer defaults > expand Custom > under Choose a default e-mail program
> select WLMail and then OK.



Instead have you tried my suggestion to use AR's Repair function?

>
> Try opening a .pdf attachment now from within WLMail.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ian



Good luck

Robert
---
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shadyblack
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-04-2010
What I ended up doing is saving the attachment in my documents, then from
there I right click on the attachment. Then click on properties and then
choose adobe to open with instead of Microsoft Office Word and then click
apply. Then all your Word documents that may not have been created by the
same version as you have can be opened, buy by adobe (PDF). It worked for me.

"captnice" wrote:

> I recent upgraded from Vista 64 to 64-bit Windows 7. When I attempt to open
> a PDF file attachment in Windows Live Mail, I get a message box telling me
> that I do not have a program associated with this file type. I was able to
> open PDF attachements before I upgraded. I have double-checked my "Default
> Programs" control panel and .pdf is associated with Adobe Reader. If I save
> the .pdf file, I can open it with a simple double-click, indicating to me
> that the association is correct.
>
> I can open PDF file attachments in Hotmail and Outlook. What is going wrong
> in Windows Live Mail? I recently re-installed Windows Live Mail and Adobe
> Reader and nothing changed.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Shadyblack
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      06-04-2010
Actually when you click on properties, then click on Change and then click on
adobe. I forgot that part.

"Shadyblack" wrote:

> What I ended up doing is saving the attachment in my documents, then from
> there I right click on the attachment. Then click on properties and then
> choose adobe to open with instead of Microsoft Office Word and then click
> apply. Then all your Word documents that may not have been created by the
> same version as you have can be opened, buy by adobe (PDF). It worked for me.
>
> "captnice" wrote:
>
> > I recent upgraded from Vista 64 to 64-bit Windows 7. When I attempt to open
> > a PDF file attachment in Windows Live Mail, I get a message box telling me
> > that I do not have a program associated with this file type. I was able to
> > open PDF attachements before I upgraded. I have double-checked my "Default
> > Programs" control panel and .pdf is associated with Adobe Reader. If I save
> > the .pdf file, I can open it with a simple double-click, indicating to me
> > that the association is correct.
> >
> > I can open PDF file attachments in Hotmail and Outlook. What is going wrong
> > in Windows Live Mail? I recently re-installed Windows Live Mail and Adobe
> > Reader and nothing changed.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to open PDF or Adobe PDF attachment on the web fighting123 Windows Vista Music, Pictures and Video 1 06-24-2011 03:51 AM
PDF to HTML,Convert PDF to Webpage or PDF to website converting software fighting123 Windows Vista Music, Pictures and Video 0 01-03-2011 08:59 AM
Re: Can't open pdf files in Win Live Mail? Gary VanderMolen Windows Live Mail 0 03-07-2009 02:26 AM
Send to function wont open WinMail and attach pdf from adobe application. I know this can be accomplished by right clicking on the pdf file but I need the application to do the task. Any suggestions? DonE Windows Vista Mail 2 07-08-2008 01:39 AM
Unable to open PDF Files using IE7 Ezaubs Internet Explorer 3 03-28-2007 01:48 AM