Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Server > Server Networking > Win2008 Network Shares: Curious Behaviour?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Win2008 Network Shares: Curious Behaviour?

 
 
Bastian
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-11-2010
Hello Ace,

"SRV" ist the dns-name belonging to the clustergroup which is hosting the
fileshares. I've tested with the ip-address, too. The shares are configured
as discribed on your link. Setting up a local share (not in a clustergroup)
hasn't any effect.

Regards

Bastian

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:

> "Bastian" <> wrote in message news:19A931F2-9F58-4E37-A1D5-...
> > Hello Ace,
> >
> > RSS TCP Chimney and IPv6 is disabled on all servers. The server hosting the
> > shares is an w2k8 enterprise failovercluster (2 nodes) and is not a domain
> > controller.
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Bastian

>
> Ok, then I assume 'SRV' is the cluster name published in DNS and WINS? Otherwise, I'm assuming you've correctly configured sharing on the 2008 server, cluster or not, and set the Offline settings as such:
> http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/...8_File_Sharing
>
> Ace
>
>
> .
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-11-2010
"Bastian" <> wrote in message news:A8B2B9FD-BC2C-4122-B934-...
> Hello Ace,
>
> "SRV" ist the dns-name belonging to the clustergroup which is hosting the
> fileshares. I've tested with the ip-address, too. The shares are configured
> as discribed on your link. Setting up a local share (not in a clustergroup)
> hasn't any effect.
>
> Regards
>
> Bastian


Then I am at a loss to figure out what is going on with your share connectivity, unless it's something in the cluster. Maybe someone else can help, or if it persists and causes problems, a call into PSS should be in order.

Ace


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Juergen Kluth
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      03-19-2010
May be mapping to drive letters work.
jk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bastian
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      05-12-2010

Hello,

I've figured out the cause of this behaviour. Disabling SMB 2.0 on the
Win2008 fileserver looks like to be the solution. So there must be some
caching mechanism in SMB 2.0 leading to this behaviour. I'll try to get more
information about this...

Best Regards

Bastian


"Bastian" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm facing a very curious behaviour these days. I have the following
> test-environment (all Win2008 Servers!):
>
> - 'SRV' is hosting a network-share '\\srv\share\SRC'
> - 'ClientA' checking for files in \\srv\share\SRC. If a file has found then
> he will do a convert with an 3rd-Party-Tool to \\srv\share\ClientA.
> Converting means that he writes a new file to the ClientA-Folder
> - 'ClientB' checking for files in \\srv\share\ClientA. If a file has found
> the he will do the same (convert) to \\srv\share\ClientB.
>
> So what happens now, is that ClientA is workling properly without any
> problems. All files found in SRC-Folder will be converted to ClientA-Folder.
> In the next step (Convert by ClientB) ClientB has problems with finding all
> files in Client-A folder. Around 20-30% of the files will be found by ClientB
> and successfully converted to \\srv\share\ClientB (Note: The Client will be
> informed by the Server which file must be converted).
>
> Now the curious thing: If I'll open \\srv\share\ClientA-Folder on ClientB in
> explorer while ClientB is converting the files within this folder he will
> find ALL files (100%). I've tested this on two different installations and
> the behaviour is everywhere the same. All files will be written correctly by
> ClientA so the files must be found by ClientB. This happens also with shared
> folders located on local and SAN-Disks. The conversion-tool shouldn't be the
> source of this behaviour, too.
>
> So, is there any sort of file caching on Win2008-Servers? On Win2003-Server
> all is running correctly. Offline-Files are deactivated on both - Server and
> Clients.
>
> Perhaps somebody can help me with this.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Bastian

 
Reply With Quote
 
Benoit Paris
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-03-2011
Hi Bastian,

One of our customers is experiencing frequent crashes using our application (I am with a software development firm).

Using "procmon", I found that the application crashes when the process is looking for a DLL that is located on a Win2K8 network share, and cannot find it. But the DLL is there. I mean, it is in a read-only folder so it cannot really disappear and reappear...

This is quite similar to the symptoms you are describing. Or is there a question of synchronisation between the copy operations for ClientA and ClientB?

Also, how did you disable SMB2?

Any helps or insights are appreciated.



> On Wednesday, March 03, 2010 3:54 AM Bastian wrote:


> Hello,
>
> I am facing a very curious behaviour these days. I have the following
> test-environment (all Win2008 Servers!):
>
> - 'SRV' is hosting a network-share '\\srv\share\SRC'
> - 'ClientA' checking for files in \\srv\share\SRC. If a file has found then
> he will do a convert with an 3rd-Party-Tool to \\srv\share\ClientA.
> Converting means that he writes a new file to the ClientA-Folder
> - 'ClientB' checking for files in \\srv\share\ClientA. If a file has found
> the he will do the same (convert) to \\srv\share\ClientB.
>
> So what happens now, is that ClientA is workling properly without any
> problems. All files found in SRC-Folder will be converted to ClientA-Folder.
> In the next step (Convert by ClientB) ClientB has problems with finding all
> files in Client-A folder. Around 20-30% of the files will be found by ClientB
> and successfully converted to \\srv\share\ClientB (Note: The Client will be
> informed by the Server which file must be converted).
>
> Now the curious thing: If I will open \\srv\share\ClientA-Folder on ClientB in
> explorer while ClientB is converting the files within this folder he will
> find ALL files (100%). I have tested this on two different installations and
> the behaviour is everywhere the same. All files will be written correctly by
> ClientA so the files must be found by ClientB. This happens also with shared
> folders located on local and SAN-Disks. The conversion-tool should not be the
> source of this behaviour, too.
>
> So, is there any sort of file caching on Win2008-Servers? On Win2003-Server
> all is running correctly. Offline-Files are deactivated on both - Server and
> Clients.
>
> Perhaps somebody can help me with this.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Bastian



>> On Thursday, March 04, 2010 3:01 AM Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] wrote:


>> Hello Bastian,
>>
>> If you have problems accessing shared folders on Windows server 2008 check
>> the following article about known network problems:
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/arc...-problems.aspx
>>
>> Additional make sure to use only the domain internal DNS servers on the NIC
>> of all machines. Sometimes it is also helpful to disable IPv6 on the Windows
>> server 2008 machine:
>> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/paulb...dows-2008.aspx
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Meinolf Weber
>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
>> no rights.
>> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
>> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm



>>> On Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:49 AM Bastian wrote:


>>> Hello Meinolf,
>>>
>>> at first thank you for the fast reply. I have checked all participating server
>>> for ipv6 and disabled rss and autotuninglevel, but the problem
>>> still exists.
>>>
>>> I am stumped...
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> Bastian
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:



>>>> On Thursday, March 04, 2010 1:16 PM Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT] wrote:


>>>> server=20
>>>>
>>>> From what you are stating, at this point, I do not think it is network =
>>>> connectivity, and no, caching would not be an issue, unless you are using =
>>>> Redirection. I would suggest to check the application if you can enable =
>>>> logging or check with Process Explorer to see exactly where it is =
>>>> failing. It could be something simple as AV causing it. If not, I am not =
>>>> sure how your app is checking the folder. If it is using the =
>>>> NtChangeDirectoryNotification event, and the files are being populated =
>>>> quickly, it could also be a timing problem.
>>>>
>>>> --=20
>>>> Ace
>>>>
>>>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and =
>>>> confers no rights.
>>>>
>>>> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit =
>>>> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
>>>> resolution.
>>>>
>>>> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & =
>>>> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
>>>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>>>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>>>
>>>> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, =
>>>> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check =
>>>> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.



>>>>> On Friday, March 05, 2010 6:14 PM Matija Kapraljevic [Revenger] wrote:


>>>>> I am not sure this is the issue, but, Windows Server 2008 has something
>>>>> called 'Branch caching'.
>>>>> It could be what you are looking for.
>>>>>
>>>>> Check out these links:
>>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e.aspx?pf=true
>>>>> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=1081
>>>>>
>>>>> Post some info if you solve this one...



>>>>>> On Saturday, March 06, 2010 9:16 PM Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT] wrote:


>>>>>> Win2003-Server=20
>>>>>> Server and=20
>>>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e.aspx?pf=3Dt=
>>>>>> rue
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I would also be curious what the resolution is.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ace.



>>>>>>> On Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:16 AM Bastian wrote:


>>>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> BrancheCache is not installed on the servers. I have done some more tests and
>>>>>>> I think I have located the source of my problems.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I moved the shares '\\srv\share\SRC|ClientA|ClientB' to a windowsxp-client
>>>>>>> and all is running fine. So there must be a problem with the w2k8 server
>>>>>>> hosting the file shares... I have checked the following:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> - AntiVirus-Software => turned off
>>>>>>> - "Caching" (Offline Settings => Files or programs from the will not be
>>>>>>> available offline
>>>>>>> - Folder Archiving and Indexing => turned off
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> There must be sth. about sharing where the behaviour of w2k8 is different to
>>>>>>> w2k3/xp/etc...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Best Regards
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Bastian
>>>>>>> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:



>>>>>>>> On Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:22 PM Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT] wrote:


>>>>>>>> tests and=20
>>>>>>>> windowsxp-client=20
>>>>>>>> server=20
>>>>>>>> be=20
>>>>>>>> different to=20
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> There could be a number of things causing it. What type of clients are =
>>>>>>>> accessing it? Is this server a DC?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> If a DC, you may need to disable SMB signing, but that depends on the =
>>>>>>>> type of clients accessing it.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Also, you may want to look at disabling RSS TCP Chimney feature, and =
>>>>>>>> IPv6. Read more on it...
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> TCP Chimney and RSS Features May Cause Slow File Transfers or Cause =
>>>>>>>> Connectivity Problems=20
>>>>>>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/arc...ney-and-rss-f=
>>>>>>>> eatures-may-cause-slow-file-transfers-or-cause-connectivity-problems.aspx=
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Ace



>>>>>>>>> On Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:59 AM Bastian wrote:


>>>>>>>>> Hello Ace,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> RSS TCP Chimney and IPv6 is disabled on all servers. The server hosting the
>>>>>>>>> shares is an w2k8 enterprise failovercluster (2 nodes) and is not a domain
>>>>>>>>> controller.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Best Regards
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Bastian
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:



>>>>>>>>>> On Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:58 AM Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT] wrote:


>>>>>>>>>> hosting the=20
>>>>>>>>>> domain=20
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Ok, then I assume 'SRV' is the cluster name published in DNS and WINS? =
>>>>>>>>>> Otherwise, I am assuming you have correctly configured sharing on the 2008 =
>>>>>>>>>> server, cluster or not, and set the Offline settings as such:
>>>>>>>>>> http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/...er_2008_File_=
>>>>>>>>>> Sharing
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Ace



>>>>>>>>>>> On Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:13 AM Bastian wrote:


>>>>>>>>>>> Hello Ace,
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> "SRV" ist the dns-name belonging to the clustergroup which is hosting the
>>>>>>>>>>> fileshares. I have tested with the ip-address, too. The shares are configured
>>>>>>>>>>> as discribed on your link. Setting up a local share (not in a clustergroup)
>>>>>>>>>>> has not any effect.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Regards
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Bastian
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:



>>>>>>>>>>>> On Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:58 AM Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT] wrote:


>>>>>>>>>>>> the=20
>>>>>>>>>>>> configured=20
>>>>>>>>>>>> clustergroup)=20
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Then I am at a loss to figure out what is going on with your share =
>>>>>>>>>>>> connectivity, unless it is something in the cluster. Maybe someone else =
>>>>>>>>>>>> can help, or if it persists and causes problems, a call into PSS should =
>>>>>>>>>>>> be in order.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Ace



>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Friday, March 19, 2010 11:20 AM Juergen Kluth wrote:


>>>>>>>>>>>>> May be mapping to drive letters work.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> jk



>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:59 AM Bastian wrote:


>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have figured out the cause of this behaviour. Disabling SMB 2.0 on the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Win2008 fileserver looks like to be the solution. So there must be some
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> caching mechanism in SMB 2.0 leading to this behaviour. I will try to get more
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> information about this...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Best Regards
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bastian
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "Bastian" wrote:



>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SharePoint Tip / Thought of the Day WebPart
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...y-webpart.aspx

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding a new Win2008 Server to SBS2003 Standard network ja Windows Small Business Server 4 04-28-2009 02:51 PM
Win2008 - Network Scenario Bodwa Server Networking 2 05-09-2008 07:26 AM
Win2008 Evaluation upgrade to Win2008 Standard Server Lizence Klemens Lichter Windows Server 9 04-11-2008 05:19 AM
Truth in advertising? Just curious. ***** charles Windows Vista Performance 1 11-30-2007 07:55 PM
Curious Loss of Network Connectivity ODBMusic Server Networking 5 10-19-2007 12:38 AM