Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Vista Music, Pictures and Video > Windows Movie Maker Vids - Audio but Black Screen

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Windows Movie Maker Vids - Audio but Black Screen

 
 
Shafski
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-27-2009

Hey, I'm really confused and have googled for hours on a solution but
I'm so tired I decided to just make a post on it hoping somebody would
help me.

I was asking one of my friends and they recommended this place for me,
so here I am.


The problem seems to be with my .avi videos when I put them on Windows
Movie Maker. They're videos i spend days downloading for an AMV that I
downloaded from Vuze recently, and they seem to work fine with anything
apart from WMM and Windows DVD Maker (But windows DVD maker is a diff
issue anyway that I wont address here).

I've tried all sorts of things. I unticked "AVI DVD Compressor" because
when I left it ticked, whenever I tried moving .AVI vids to the timeline
it would just say "Windows Movie Maker Has Stopped Working" and close
the whole thing. But unticking it got me atleast somewhere, but now I
face yet another problem.

When I try to play my videos (timelines or not), the audio only comes
and the video is replaced with a transfixed black screen. I've tried all
sorts of codecs and what not, and I'm totally lost now. I dont know
what's wrong, but was wondering if anyone could help me.

Im not too good with Compressors, Decompressors and Codecs and what
have you, but given the instructions I'm good at following them, and
hope to be able to make videos properly soon with my .avi videos.

Oh, and I dont want to convert them because that just makes the quality
worse, as .AVI videos give the best playback quality for me.

Thanks alot,
_xShafski


--
Shafski
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Clevo
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-27-2009

Shafski;1029799 Wrote:
> Hey, I'm really confused and have googled for hours on a solution but
> I'm so tired I decided to just make a post on it hoping somebody would
> help me.
>
> I was asking one of my friends and they recommended this place for me,
> so here I am.
>
>
> The problem seems to be with my .avi videos when I put them on Windows
> Movie Maker. They're videos i spend days downloading for an AMV that I
> downloaded from Vuze recently, and they seem to work fine with anything
> apart from WMM and Windows DVD Maker (But windows DVD maker is a diff
> issue anyway that I wont address here).
>
> I've tried all sorts of things. I unticked "AVI DVD Compressor" because
> when I left it ticked, whenever I tried moving .AVI vids to the timeline
> it would just say "Windows Movie Maker Has Stopped Working" and close
> the whole thing. But unticking it got me atleast somewhere, but now I
> face yet another problem.
>
> When I try to play my videos (timelines or not), the audio only comes
> and the video is replaced with a transfixed black screen. I've tried all
> sorts of codecs and what not, and I'm totally lost now. I dont know
> what's wrong, but was wondering if anyone could help me.
>
> Im not too good with Compressors, Decompressors and Codecs and what
> have you, but given the instructions I'm good at following them, and
> hope to be able to make videos properly soon with my .avi videos.
>
> Oh, and I dont want to convert them because that just makes the quality
> worse, as .AVI videos give the best playback quality for me.
>
> Thanks alot,
> _xShafski



It sounds to me like you have symptoms of too many codecs installed.
People tend to throw codec packs into PC's and hope that one of them
will work....instead the codecs cause conflicts.

..AVI is a container wrapper...it's an extension that can be given to
any video compressed with any of the codecs in use today....so AVI can
be any of the 800+ flavours.

The trick is to find out which codec was used for the video you
downloaded off the net... I'm not going to try and guess which it is but
there are programs available to work it out.

Once you have worked it out, install only the codec needed and
everything should work.


--
Clevo

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shafski
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-28-2009

Clevo;1029836 Wrote:
> > Shafski;1029799 Wrote:
> > Hey, I'm really confused and have googled for hours on a solution but
> > I'm so tired I decided to just make a post on it hoping somebody would
> > help me.
> >
> > I was asking one of my friends and they recommended this place for me,
> > so here I am.
> >
> >
> > The problem seems to be with my .avi videos when I put them on Windows
> > Movie Maker. They're videos i spend days downloading for an AMV that I
> > downloaded from Vuze recently, and they seem to work fine with anything
> > apart from WMM and Windows DVD Maker (But windows DVD maker is a diff
> > issue anyway that I wont address here).
> >
> > I've tried all sorts of things. I unticked "AVI DVD Compressor" because
> > when I left it ticked, whenever I tried moving .AVI vids to the timeline
> > it would just say "Windows Movie Maker Has Stopped Working" and close
> > the whole thing. But unticking it got me atleast somewhere, but now I
> > face yet another problem.
> >
> > When I try to play my videos (timelines or not), the audio only comes
> > and the video is replaced with a transfixed black screen. I've tried all
> > sorts of codecs and what not, and I'm totally lost now. I dont know
> > what's wrong, but was wondering if anyone could help me.
> >
> > Im not too good with Compressors, Decompressors and Codecs and what
> > have you, but given the instructions I'm good at following them, and
> > hope to be able to make videos properly soon with my .avi videos.
> >
> > Oh, and I dont want to convert them because that just makes the quality
> > worse, as .AVI videos give the best playback quality for me.
> >
> > Thanks alot,
> > _xShafski> >

>
>
> It sounds to me like you have symptoms of too many codecs installed.
> People tend to throw codec packs into PC's and hope that one of them
> will work....instead the codecs cause conflicts.
>
> .AVI is a container wrapper...it's an extension that can be given to
> any video compressed with any of the codecs in use today....so AVI can
> be any of the 800+ flavours.
>
> The trick is to find out which codec was used for the video you
> downloaded off the net... I'm not going to try and guess which it is
> but there are programs available to work it out.
>
> Once you have worked it out, install only the codec needed and
> everything should work.




Hm, are you sure? Because why will they play on windows media play but
not WMM; isn't the same codecs used with both? Apart from AVI
Decompressor which I unfiltered as stated before.

My vid was downloaded from Azureus Vuze, a torrent downloaded, but im
finding it hard to find which codec is right and I'm getting confused

Anybody got any suggestions or help?


--
Shafski
 
Reply With Quote
 
KoRnKoB
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      04-28-2009

its most likely mpeg4 or divx or ac3 i know those all work together well
i use those codec packs myself

heres the links for dl.


Mpeg-4 ~ 'http://www.koepi.info/Xvid-1.2.1-04122008.exe'
(http://www.xvid.org/News.64.0.html?&...a7d2&tx_ttnews)


Divx ~ http://www.divx.com/downloads/divx

ac3 ~ 'SourceForge.net: AC3Filter: Downloading ...'
(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ac3...lter_1_51a.exe)


--
KoRnKoB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Clevo
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-26-2009

Shafski;1030315 Wrote:
> > Clevo;1029836 Wrote:
> > > > Shafski;1029799 Wrote:
> > > Hey, I'm really confused and have googled for hours on a solution bu
> > > I'm so tired I decided to just make a post on it hoping somebody woul
> > > help me
> > >
> > > I was asking one of my friends and they recommended this place for me
> > > so here I am
> > >
> > >
> > > The problem seems to be with my .avi videos when I put them on Window
> > > Movie Maker. They're videos i spend days downloading for an AMV that
> > > downloaded from Vuze recently, and they seem to work fine with anythin
> > > apart from WMM and Windows DVD Maker (But windows DVD maker is a dif
> > > issue anyway that I wont address here)
> > >
> > > I've tried all sorts of things. I unticked "AVI DVD Compressor" becaus
> > > when I left it ticked, whenever I tried moving .AVI vids to the timelin
> > > it would just say "Windows Movie Maker Has Stopped Working" and clos
> > > the whole thing. But unticking it got me atleast somewhere, but now
> > > face yet another problem
> > >
> > > When I try to play my videos (timelines or not), the audio only come
> > > and the video is replaced with a transfixed black screen. I've tried al
> > > sorts of codecs and what not, and I'm totally lost now. I dont kno
> > > what's wrong, but was wondering if anyone could help me
> > >
> > > Im not too good with Compressors, Decompressors and Codecs and wha
> > > have you, but given the instructions I'm good at following them, an
> > > hope to be able to make videos properly soon with my .avi videos
> > >
> > > Oh, and I dont want to convert them because that just makes the qualit
> > > worse, as .AVI videos give the best playback quality for me
> > >
> > > Thanks alot
> > > _xShafski> > > >

> >
> >
> > It sounds to me like you have symptoms of too many codec
> > installed. People tend to throw codec packs into PC's and hope tha
> > one of them will work....instead the codecs cause conflicts
> >
> > .AVI is a container wrapper...it's an extension that can be give
> > to any video compressed with any of the codecs in use today....s
> > AVI can be any of the 800+ flavours
> >
> > The trick is to find out which codec was used for the video yo
> > downloaded off the net... I'm not going to try and guess which it i
> > but there are programs available to work it out
> >
> > Once you have worked it out, install only the codec needed an
> > everything should work.> >

>
>
>
> Hm, are you sure? Because why will they play on windows media pla
> but not WMM; isn't the same codecs used with both? Apart from AV
> Decompressor which I unfiltered as stated before.
>
> My vid was downloaded from Azureus Vuze, a torrent downloaded, but i
> finding it hard to find which codec is right and I'm getting confuse
>
> Anybody got any suggestions or help? :eek


One is a player and the other is an editor...different beasts

Even on my pro-sumer editor I occasionally come across simila
situations...plays in WINDVD or WMC but put it in an editor and it won'
play

Just to be on the safe side though make sure you have the latest M
DirectX (march 2009) installed....this might hel

--
Clev

___________________________
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1
ASUS P5K MB
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM (DDR2)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Realtek HD onboard sound

Helpful links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...91033.mspx#EEE
 
Reply With Quote
 
whs
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      08-26-2009

I think the easiest would be to convert the video format to .wmv usin
the free Format Factory ( 'Format Factory - Free media file forma
converter' (http://www.formatoz.com/) ). Since .wmv is the "native
Vista format, you avoid all problems

--
whs
 
Reply With Quote
 
whs
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-27-2009


Sai-Jackal;1145978 Wrote:
> I hope I'm not kicking around a dead topic here. But I am basically
> having the exact same problem.
>
> I had no codecs installed as my computer was brand new. The file
> imported without any problems, but try and play a clip and you get the
> audio but no picture. I did eventually download a "K-lite" codec pack
> which allowed me to play .avi on windows media player. But it didn't
> effect Windows movie maker at all.
>
> Is there another video editing program that anyone can recommend that
> will perhaps not have this problem?
>
>
>



Windows Movie Maker works best with the .wmv filetype. The easiest is
to use Format Factory ( 'Format Factory - Free media file format
converter' (http://www.formatoz.com/) ) and convert your clips. Format
Factory does a high quality job and it is free and easy to use.
You should be aware that you have a considerable loss of quality when
you edit with WMM. That is why I use Machete ( 'Lossless Video and Audio
Editor (splitter,joiner) for AVI,FLV,WMV,WMA,ASF,MP3 files'
(http://www.machetesoft.com/) ) which sell for $19.95 (lifetime
license). There the output is exactly like the input. You can try it for
free for 2 weeks and see whether you like it.


--
whs
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Movie Maker ~ Preview screen black Wilecoyote Windows Vista General Discussion 7 10-09-2008 07:07 AM
Windows Movie Maker Getting Vids from Internet Elise Windows Media Center 0 01-06-2008 05:38 AM
Windows Vista Movie Maker Video displaying black with no audio. Javier Windows Vista Music, Pictures and Video 0 11-03-2007 02:09 PM
Windows Movie Maker XP Project sent to Vista's Movie Maker... Dave Windows Vista Music, Pictures and Video 0 05-29-2007 08:42 PM
win movie maker VS win movie maker 2 shucky Windows Media Center 1 08-15-2004 03:01 PM