Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Live Mail > WLM can't send, but can receive email redux

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

WLM can't send, but can receive email redux

 
 
Donald Eagle
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-23-2011
Last summer I had this problem when away from home, but it disappeared after
returning home. The problem reappeared on a European trip we took recently.
I am using Windows 7 starter and WLM 2011 on my Netbook. The error message
was the same as before:
Subject 'Re: Link for Remote Control of Computer'
Server Error: 421
Server Response: 421
Server: 'smtp.ultrasw.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

The error occurred when trying to send email from a hotel in Vienna.
Reception was fine. At the suggestion of Bruce Hagen and Norman Miller, I
tried using ports 587 and 465, with and without turning on SSL. Neither of
those ports worked either. One odd thing was that even when I had checked
SSL, the error returned said "SSL: No" Rechecking port options still told
me I had turned on SSL.

After we left Vienna, we went to Salzburg where everything worked just fine
on Port 25 with my standard settings. Did I misunderstand something in the
help I received? Or is something occurring because of the hotel's WiFi
rather than my ISP? Email also worked with Port 25 in Budapest and Prague.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Don Eagle

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-23-2011
On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:08:17 -0700, "Donald Eagle"
<> wrote:

>Last summer I had this problem when away from home, but it disappeared after
>returning home. The problem reappeared on a European trip we took recently.
>I am using Windows 7 starter and WLM 2011 on my Netbook. The error message
>was the same as before:
>Subject 'Re: Link for Remote Control of Computer'
>Server Error: 421
>Server Response: 421
>Server: 'smtp.ultrasw.com'
>Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
>Protocol: SMTP
>Port: 25
>Secure(SSL): No
>
>The error occurred when trying to send email from a hotel in Vienna.
>Reception was fine. At the suggestion of Bruce Hagen and Norman Miller, I
>tried using ports 587 and 465, with and without turning on SSL. Neither of
>those ports worked either. One odd thing was that even when I had checked
>SSL, the error returned said "SSL: No" Rechecking port options still told
>me I had turned on SSL.
>
>After we left Vienna, we went to Salzburg where everything worked just fine
>on Port 25 with my standard settings. Did I misunderstand something in the
>help I received? Or is something occurring because of the hotel's WiFi
>rather than my ISP? Email also worked with Port 25 in Budapest and Prague.


Without knowing specifics, it's very likely the Hotel's WiFi.
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Hagen
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-23-2011

"Donald Eagle" <> wrote in message
news:j81s6f$1u5$...
> Last summer I had this problem when away from home, but it disappeared
> after returning home. The problem reappeared on a European trip we took
> recently. I am using Windows 7 starter and WLM 2011 on my Netbook. The
> error message was the same as before:
> Subject 'Re: Link for Remote Control of Computer'
> Server Error: 421
> Server Response: 421
> Server: 'smtp.ultrasw.com'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
> Protocol: SMTP
> Port: 25
> Secure(SSL): No
>
> The error occurred when trying to send email from a hotel in Vienna.
> Reception was fine. At the suggestion of Bruce Hagen and Norman Miller,
> I tried using ports 587 and 465, with and without turning on SSL.
> Neither of those ports worked either. One odd thing was that even when
> I had checked SSL, the error returned said "SSL: No" Rechecking port
> options still told me I had turned on SSL.
>
> After we left Vienna, we went to Salzburg where everything worked just
> fine on Port 25 with my standard settings. Did I misunderstand
> something in the help I received? Or is something occurring because of
> the hotel's WiFi rather than my ISP? Email also worked with Port 25 in
> Budapest and Prague.
>
> Any clarification would be appreciated.
>
> Don Eagle



I suggested those ports as possibilities. Contact your ISP to get the
exact ports you need to use.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
Imperial Beach, CA

 
Reply With Quote
 
N. Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-24-2011
On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:08:17 -0700, Donald Eagle wrote:

> Last summer I had this problem when away from home, but it disappeared after
> returning home. The problem reappeared on a European trip we took recently.
> I am using Windows 7 starter and WLM 2011 on my Netbook. The error message
> was the same as before:
> Subject 'Re: Link for Remote Control of Computer'
> Server Error: 421
> Server Response: 421
> Server: 'smtp.ultrasw.com'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
> Protocol: SMTP
> Port: 25
> Secure(SSL): No
>
> The error occurred when trying to send email from a hotel in Vienna.
> Reception was fine. At the suggestion of Bruce Hagen and Norman Miller, I
> tried using ports 587 and 465, with and without turning on SSL. Neither of
> those ports worked either. One odd thing was that even when I had checked
> SSL, the error returned said "SSL: No" Rechecking port options still told
> me I had turned on SSL.
>
> After we left Vienna, we went to Salzburg where everything worked just fine
> on Port 25 with my standard settings. Did I misunderstand something in the
> help I received? Or is something occurring because of the hotel's WiFi
> rather than my ISP? Email also worked with Port 25 in Budapest and Prague.
>
> Any clarification would be appreciated.


I can't test port 25 at this time; I've switched ISPs, and my new one
filters port 25. However, 'smtp.ultrasw.com' is listening on port 587. What
you experienced at that particular hotel strongly suggests the hotel policy
is to filter all outbound traffic, probably except port 80. There is little
that you can do about it, than ask the hotel which SMTP server they want you
to use.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
 
Reply With Quote
 
Donald Eagle
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-24-2011
On 10/24/11 8:14 AM, N. Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:08:17 -0700, Donald Eagle wrote:
>
>> Last summer I had this problem when away from home, but it disappeared after
>> returning home. The problem reappeared on a European trip we took recently.
>> I am using Windows 7 starter and WLM 2011 on my Netbook. The error message
>> was the same as before:
>> Subject 'Re: Link for Remote Control of Computer'
>> Server Error: 421
>> Server Response: 421
>> Server: 'smtp.ultrasw.com'
>> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
>> Protocol: SMTP
>> Port: 25
>> Secure(SSL): No
>>
>> The error occurred when trying to send email from a hotel in Vienna.
>> Reception was fine. At the suggestion of Bruce Hagen and Norman Miller, I
>> tried using ports 587 and 465, with and without turning on SSL. Neither of
>> those ports worked either. One odd thing was that even when I had checked
>> SSL, the error returned said "SSL: No" Rechecking port options still told
>> me I had turned on SSL.
>>
>> After we left Vienna, we went to Salzburg where everything worked just fine
>> on Port 25 with my standard settings. Did I misunderstand something in the
>> help I received? Or is something occurring because of the hotel's WiFi
>> rather than my ISP? Email also worked with Port 25 in Budapest and Prague.
>>
>> Any clarification would be appreciated.

>
> I can't test port 25 at this time; I've switched ISPs, and my new one
> filters port 25. However, 'smtp.ultrasw.com' is listening on port 587. What
> you experienced at that particular hotel strongly suggests the hotel policy
> is to filter all outbound traffic, probably except port 80. There is little
> that you can do about it, than ask the hotel which SMTP server they want you
> to use.
>

Thank you, Evan, Bruce and Norman. I have talked to my ISP, and they
said DakotaCom accepts almost any port. They said the blockage must
come from the hotel's ISP. I should ask the hotel what ports are
usable. That is essentially what you said, Norman. I also got from my
ISP another 5 ports besides, 587 and 465, I could try if the hotel did
not help One of them wqs Port 80 as you mentioned, Norman.

Thanks again. I now know what is going on.

Don Eagle


 
Reply With Quote
 
Magnus
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-24-2011
On 10/24/2011 5:25 PM, Donald Eagle wrote:
> On 10/24/11 8:14 AM, N. Miller wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:08:17 -0700, Donald Eagle wrote:
>>
>>> Last summer I had this problem when away from home, but it
>>> disappeared after
>>> returning home. The problem reappeared on a European trip we took
>>> recently.
>>> I am using Windows 7 starter and WLM 2011 on my Netbook. The error
>>> message
>>> was the same as before:
>>> Subject 'Re: Link for Remote Control of Computer'
>>> Server Error: 421
>>> Server Response: 421
>>> Server: 'smtp.ultrasw.com'
>>> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC67
>>> Protocol: SMTP
>>> Port: 25
>>> Secure(SSL): No
>>>
>>> The error occurred when trying to send email from a hotel in Vienna.
>>> Reception was fine. At the suggestion of Bruce Hagen and Norman
>>> Miller, I
>>> tried using ports 587 and 465, with and without turning on SSL.
>>> Neither of
>>> those ports worked either. One odd thing was that even when I had
>>> checked
>>> SSL, the error returned said "SSL: No" Rechecking port options still
>>> told
>>> me I had turned on SSL.
>>>
>>> After we left Vienna, we went to Salzburg where everything worked
>>> just fine
>>> on Port 25 with my standard settings. Did I misunderstand something
>>> in the
>>> help I received? Or is something occurring because of the hotel's WiFi
>>> rather than my ISP? Email also worked with Port 25 in Budapest and
>>> Prague.
>>>
>>> Any clarification would be appreciated.

>>
>> I can't test port 25 at this time; I've switched ISPs, and my new one
>> filters port 25. However, 'smtp.ultrasw.com' is listening on port 587.
>> What
>> you experienced at that particular hotel strongly suggests the hotel
>> policy
>> is to filter all outbound traffic, probably except port 80. There is
>> little
>> that you can do about it, than ask the hotel which SMTP server they
>> want you
>> to use.
>>

> Thank you, Evan, Bruce and Norman. I have talked to my ISP, and they
> said DakotaCom accepts almost any port. They said the blockage must come
> from the hotel's ISP. I should ask the hotel what ports are usable. That
> is essentially what you said, Norman. I also got from my ISP another 5
> ports besides, 587 and 465, I could try if the hotel did not help One of
> them wqs Port 80 as you mentioned, Norman.
>
> Thanks again. I now know what is going on.
>
> Don Eagle


ICBW, but that ISP answer doesn't sound quite right... the question is
which ports will your ISP's mail server accept when you access the
server from outside your ISP's domain.... not which ports your ISP
allows for internet connections...

Typically that requires secure authentication and possibly a different
server designation.

If you continue to have remote email access issues, you might choose to
access your mail via web mail -- assuming that your ISP offers that
capability.
 
Reply With Quote
 
N. Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      10-25-2011
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:38:49 -0400, Magnus wrote:

> ICBW, but that ISP answer doesn't sound quite right... the question is
> which ports will your ISP's mail server accept when you access the
> server from outside your ISP's domain.... not which ports your ISP
> allows for internet connections...
>
> Typically that requires secure authentication and possibly a different
> server designation.
>
> If you continue to have remote email access issues, you might choose to
> access your mail via web mail -- assuming that your ISP offers that
> capability.


Actually, it sounds perfectly reasonable. There is no Internet standard for
Message Submission ports. While port 587 is a suggested, even recommended,
Message Submission port, it is not a "reguired" (by RFC) Message Submission
port.

Any E-mail Service Provider can set up a server to lesson on multiple ports;
and some do, just because other networks filter outbound ports. My ISP
filters port 25 outbound (except for their own servers), so any attempt to
access a third party message submission server through port 25 will fail.
However, I did raise the OP's server via port 587.

Any ESP which allows access from third party transit networks *must* use
authentication in order to avoid abuse as a promiscuous relay. My last ISP
turned on authentication across the board; even for port 25 access. My
current ISP only requires authentication when connecting from third party
transit networks.

Hotels, due to the transient nature of their customers, are subject to
having their connections abused by compromised hosts on guest computers;
consequently, they may prefer to force all SMTP traffic through their own
message submission servers.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't receive email from some but receive others Donna Windows Vista Mail 1 04-23-2009 03:56 PM
WLM 2007 (2008) --> WLM 2009: important faults. Therefore, WLM 2009 --> WLM 2007 (2008) JM Windows Live Mail 1 02-15-2009 08:08 PM
I can send and receive email but email can not be replayed to me Otto Windows Vista Mail 5 01-07-2009 10:27 PM
Can send but can't receive email on Windows vista email Greek Windows Vista Mail 13 06-08-2008 05:07 PM
When I click on send and receive emails I receive the message below. How can I receive emails? bridget Windows Vista Mail 2 05-01-2008 01:14 AM