Windows Vista Tips

Windows Vista Tips > Newsgroups > Windows Server > Update Services > WSUS - force update-installation...

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

WSUS - force update-installation...

 
 
Detlef Buckatz
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-12-2009
Hello Newsgroup,

I have configured WSUS with a GPO.
I disable the "Do not adjust default option to 'Install..."-option, so
"Install Updates and Shut Down"-entry is shown in the shutdown-dialog as
default - and it works.
Now the user have the option to bypass the update-installation by selecting
another entry in the shutdown-dialog.
Question: is there any way to force the installation of the updates, after
the user has X-times bypass the installation manually?

Thanks in advance...

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-12-2009
"Detlef Buckatz" <> wrote in message
news:98D9F581-816F-495B-A460-...
> Hello Newsgroup,
>
> I have configured WSUS with a GPO.
> I disable the "Do not adjust default option to 'Install..."-option, so
> "Install Updates and Shut Down"-entry is shown in the shutdown-dialog as
> default - and it works.
> Now the user have the option to bypass the update-installation by
> selecting another entry in the shutdown-dialog.
> Question: is there any way to force the installation of the updates, after
> the user has X-times bypass the installation manually?


The policy does not prevent the choosing of another option, regardless of
the setting, it merely determines whether "Install Updates and Shutdown" is
always the presented (default) option.

If you *enable* this policy, the option presented will always be "install
Updates and Shutdown", but the user will still be able to change that
selection (e.g. to Reboot).

If you *disable* this policy, the option presented will be the most recent
option used.

Take note of the negative wording of the policy. If you enable "Do not
adjust.." it will not adjust; if you disable "Do not adjust", it will always
adjust.

As a backup to relying on use of this option, you should also have an
overnight scheduled installation event, and the policy "Reschedule automatic
updates scheduled installation" should be enabled with an appropriate
power-on delay configured -- I suggest one minute.

This ensures that if the user does bypass the "Install Updates and Shutdown"
option by choosing only "Shutdown", then the updates will be installed at
the next power-on.

Rest assured after about one or two inconveniences from waiting for updates
to install at power-on, they'll be sure to use the "Install Updates and
Shutdown" option the next time it's presented. :-)




--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)

MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pro...awrence.Garvin

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Detlef Buckatz
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-13-2009
thank you Lawrence.

I think if "Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations" is
activated - it works only if "Configure Automatic Updates" is set to option
4 (Auto download and schedule the install).
In my case "Configure Automatic Updates" is set to 3 (Auto download and
notify for install).
So, install at power-on is not an option for me - sorry, for our custumer -
not for me. In our environment we don't discuss about updates - we install
them ;-)
I think it is not possible (with built-in features from MS) to force
update-installations if "Configure Automatic Updates" is set to 3 - is this
right?

Do you know whether there are 3rd party tools which realize such a szenario
("Is there any way to force the installation of the updates, after the user
has X-times bypass the installation manually?")?

thanks again
Detlef

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-13-2009
"Detlef Buckatz" <> wrote in message
news:5BF7819A-C9B1-4614-8877-...

> I think if "Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations" is
> activated - it works only if "Configure Automatic Updates" is set to
> option
> 4 (Auto download and schedule the install).


This is correct.

> In my case "Configure Automatic Updates" is set to 3 (Auto download and
> notify for install).


So who's responsible for installing updates on workstations?


> I think it is not possible (with built-in features from MS) to force
> update-installations if "Configure Automatic Updates" is set to 3 - is
> this
> right?


If you set a deadline on the update, this would force the installation of
the update at the specified expiry time on the deadline. So, if Option #3 is
being used for desktops, and you've given the user X days to use the
"Install Updates and Shutdown" feature, and they've bypassed the
installation -- a deadline, which expires overnight, can be used to force
installation at power-on, even if Option #3 is being used.


> Do you know whether there are 3rd party tools which realize such a
> szenario
> ("Is there any way to force the installation of the updates, after the
> user
> has X-times bypass the installation manually?")?


There is, in fact. For this feature you may be interested in the Eminentware
Extension Pack for WSUS. (http://www.eminientware.com)

The advantage of such a tool is that you can then take installation of
updates completely out of the hands of the user and give complete ownership
of that process back to the "administrator".



--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)

MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pro...awrence.Garvin

 
Reply With Quote
 
Detlef Buckatz
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      02-16-2009
thank you Lawrence.

> So who's responsible for installing updates on workstations?

It is a 'difficult affair'..once there was a problem with one update
(TCPchimney/switches) - since then they said: 'no updates without our
approval'. Now, they want have updates - with a big 'wishlist'...
> If you set a deadline on the update...

that is a good tip.

Thanks a lot...
Detlef

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I force updates to install and force a reboot RollNpc Update Services 9 02-02-2010 02:46 AM
Possible Fix: Microsoft Force Feedback 2 Joystick and the self center force disabling funks Windows Vista Hardware 0 10-20-2008 07:04 AM
Re: Force WSUS Client to Poll WSUS Server PA Bear Update Services 5 09-15-2007 04:50 AM
Force WSUS Client to Poll WSUS Server Andrew Windows Update 8 09-15-2007 04:50 AM
RE: MOVE b:\wsus \MSSQL$WSUS to d:\wsus \MSSQL$WSUS using SBS 2K3-2 (SQL 2005) (move SQL WSUS databse) chace zhang Windows Small Business Server 0 11-14-2006 07:36 AM