"Administrators only" message - possible fix W2K Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by ipecac, Apr 29, 2004.

1. ipecac

ipecac Guest

If you're looking for the immediate solution, scroll down to SOLUTION.
    BACKGROUND
    I've recently had issues with using the Windows Update web site, receiving the message "Administrators only..."; this message occurred even though I was logged in as an administrator. I've read most of the postings regarding this issue and have tried the various suggestions and have read various KB articles - 319585, 241234, 316524, 324513, 326686, 193385, etc - nothing worked.

I had rebuilt my PC with Windows 2000 Pro then tried the Windows update web site immediately, received "Admin only" message. Loaded Service Pack 4, same problem. Upgraded IE to 5.5, then to 6, same problem. Read in one of the KB articles to try various strategies with Active X, i.e. deleting several files. I did not try this strategy but it made me think that perhaps Active X is the issue.

SOLUTION
    Manually downloaded and installed Active X version 9.0b. Problem solved. NOTE: to reiterate, this solution worked for a system running Windows 2000 Pro SP4. I haven't a clue if this or a similar solution with regards to Active X would work for the other versions of Windows. Good luck!

ipecac, Apr 29, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. ipecac

jv Guest

am going to try your solution now. Will let you know if it solve my problem which is similar to yours. Have been working on it for over 2 days now. Even posted my gripe with Tech TV-Call For Help

----- ipecac wrote: ----

If you're looking for the immediate solution, scroll down to SOLUTION
    BACKGROUN
    I've recently had issues with using the Windows Update web site, receiving the message "Administrators only..."; this message occurred even though I was logged in as an administrator. I've read most of the postings regarding this issue and have tried the various suggestions and have read various KB articles - 319585, 241234, 316524, 324513, 326686, 193385, etc - nothing worked

I had rebuilt my PC with Windows 2000 Pro then tried the Windows update web site immediately, received "Admin only" message. Loaded Service Pack 4, same problem. Upgraded IE to 5.5, then to 6, same problem. Read in one of the KB articles to try various strategies with Active X, i.e. deleting several files. I did not try this strategy but it made me think that perhaps Active X is the issue

SOLUTIO
    Manually downloaded and installed Active X version 9.0b. Problem solved. NOTE: to reiterate, this solution worked for a system running Windows 2000 Pro SP4. I haven't a clue if this or a similar solution with regards to Active X would work for the other versions of Windows. Good luck!

jv, Apr 30, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. ipecac

jv Guest

ipecac,

Looked for the file and couldn't find it. Did you mean Direct X version 9.0b (about 35 MB) instead of Active X?

jv

----- ipecac wrote: -----

If you're looking for the immediate solution, scroll down to SOLUTION.
    BACKGROUND
    I've recently had issues with using the Windows Update web site, receiving the message "Administrators only..."; this message occurred even though I was logged in as an administrator. I've read most of the postings regarding this issue and have tried the various suggestions and have read various KB articles - 319585, 241234, 316524, 324513, 326686, 193385, etc - nothing worked.

I had rebuilt my PC with Windows 2000 Pro then tried the Windows update web site immediately, received "Admin only" message. Loaded Service Pack 4, same problem. Upgraded IE to 5.5, then to 6, same problem. Read in one of the KB articles to try various strategies with Active X, i.e. deleting several files. I did not try this strategy but it made me think that perhaps Active X is the issue.

SOLUTION

jv, Apr 30, 2004
  4. ipecac

ipecac Guest

JV

Yes, I meant to say Direct X, not Active X. My apologies for the mistake and the delayed response

CORRECTIO
    Downloading and installing Direct X 9.0b solved my problem.

ipecac, May 3, 2004
  5. ipecac

jv Guest

ipecac

Thank you for your response. Will give it a shot

Peace

jv

jv, May 5, 2004
  6. ipecac

jv Guest

ipecac

Well, it looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. Found out I already had DirectX 9.0b installed. In this time when $m is having problems, I am choosing NOT to reinstall it. Who know what will happen if I reload the DirectX. Accessing update problem is still here but at least I can still connect to the net w/o my computer rebooting over and over again as some of the other users are experiencing

Thanks for your help

jv

jv, May 5, 2004
  7. ipecac

jv Guest

ipecac

Finally found my solution. See my post dated 5/4 or 5/5

Again, thanks for your help

jv

jv, May 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question