Answerfor a Clean reinstall of Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by Ericbe, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Ericbe

Ericbe Guest

For all those here I have read have the same problem I did: who after a certain reinstall of windows from backups could niether tell which updates were still intact nor or tell from the update scan if they were really still there or juat "listed" somewhere I found a solution, which worked for me. I do not recommend any action, nor am I an authorized software, Microsoft or Windows expert. Procedd at your own risk. If you are comfortable editing the windows registry:--- And make sure to backup your entire registry including the cooresponding keys---- Export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components, including all the sub-key folders, to a safe location (I put it right on my desktop for easy accesss). Then delete all the sub-keys in that key that are registered installations (about four or five keys towards the end and one in the middle are clearly not installation keys--I deleted these too, actually and found Windows update still worked). Restart your computer, then hit the Windows Update icon thing. All former updates and new ones should now be listed again and available following the scan. They were for me
    Note: Simply editing the inshist.xml file or any other history file, merely seems to alter the history of installations llist, but not the ones scan would/should or could make available. I do not know for sure if the upadate scan simply reads those keys in the registry or if it actually scans the whole windows system or if those registered install keys would be ignored if the cooresponding software upadate was missing. But I found my method one way to be sure.

Ericbe, Jun 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Ericbe

Jerry Guest

Your posting would be easier to read if you had used paragraphs.

certain reinstall of windows from backups could niether tell which updates
    were still intact nor or tell from the update scan if they were really still
    there or juat "listed" somewhere I found a solution, which worked for me. I
    do not recommend any action, nor am I an authorized software, Microsoft or
    Windows expert. Procedd at your own risk. If you are comfortable editing the
    windows registry:--- And make sure to backup your entire registry including
    the cooresponding keys---- Export
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components,
    including all the sub-key folders, to a safe location (I put it right on my
    desktop for easy accesss). Then delete all the sub-keys in that key that are
    registered installations (about four or five keys towards the end and one in
    the middle are clearly not installation keys--I deleted these too, actually
    and found Windows update still worked). Restart your computer, then hit the
    Windows Update icon thing. All former updates and new ones should now be
    listed again and available following the scan. They were for me.
    merely seems to alter the history of installations llist, but not the ones
    scan would/should or could make available. I do not know for sure if the
    upadate scan simply reads those keys in the registry or if it actually scans
    the whole windows system or if those registered install keys would be
    ignored if the cooresponding software upadate was missing. But I found my
    method one way to be sure.

Jerry, Jun 8, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Ericbe

lopchild Guest

Why the heck do we have to learn computers from the inside out???!?!?!?! You have to be an expert in tech things (which some of us arent!). I don't have the patience to do this. Now I just stay 'heavily insured'.....if the computer has so much as a stall, I take it back... I just invested in the best backups you can get. THen, poof.....I just reinstall on new piece of crap that is set out to ruin my business, life and marriage. I despise computers. They make NO sense. Why are we all rushing to put our existence on them? They work against us most of the time!!! Unless you are rich & can keep a nerdy tech staffed with you pretty much all the time at 75-125 an hour. And Micro soft?!! Don't get me started! Real Simple: Don't put software out there if it can't be 100% failsafe. Why is the internet not secure????? Sounds like a simple procedure to me! Simply - I want to be asked/verified about ANYONE/ANYTHING that tries to access my system. Default is NO. There has to be an action of me PRESSING A KEY or 'YES' to access anything on the stupid thing!! WHY is that so f-in hard? NOBODY should be able to install SHeT on my computer (spyware, adware, etc) without my implicit permission!!!!!! Some people say - well, you gave the site permission to install it if you visit their site -or- even click a 'yes' on their site. THAT"S BS!!! It is MY computer, MY access line at 50-150 per month, MY software that is loaded on the system that it 'hooks' into and creates a manure pile of entire OS. It is MY hours of work that get compromised! IF they want to compensate me for all those things....Install away!!! Otherwise, KEEP THE HELI OFF MY SYSTEM and out of my life, and keep your hands out of my personal information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is this not a LAW?!?!?!

lopchild, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Ericbe

Ericbe Guest

Um, I had to get to work and I was in a huge hurry.

I was just enthusiastic in trying to share the solution I found with other people with the same issue.

Anyway, when I write/email I do not use or prefer one or two sentence paragraphs, especially when all the many sentences are connected by the same core topic and thought.

I am also inclined towards longer paragraphs in order to provide a thorough explanation that might really be helpful to people, rather than quicky, one sentence blurbs that rarely help much.

Oh...and by the way.. after several sessions using my PC online,etc. ...About my solution:.......... It works.

Ericbe, Jun 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question