[Beta] MAPI reigns

Discussion in 'Windows Live Mail' started by Ildhund, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Ildhund

Ildhund Guest

To my surprise, selecting Blob > Send > Email in Excel 2010[1] (when I eventually tracked it down on that equally impenetrable ribbon) politely opened a new mail message with my workbook attached. One major thing that seems to have been fixed.
    --
    Noel
    [1] I think it’s Excel 2010 – there’s nowhere I can see where the version is mentioned. No Help > About, no About at all on any of the tabs I could see. Anyone know where it is in the UI?

Ildhund, Aug 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Ildhund

R. C. White Guest

Hi, Noel.

The Ribbon takes some getting used to. But it kind of grows on you. Might
    as well get used to it. This new Wave 4 version of WLMail - and all of the
    Windows Live Essentials - use it, too, as I'm sure you've noticed.

Yes, it's Excel 2010. You should see that on the Splash banner as Excel
    starts up. Once the app is onscreen, find that icon-with-no-name in the
    upper left corner, just below the Title Bar and Excel's little "X" icon.
    Well, I see it now does have a name in Excel; my copy says "File". Click
    that and the drop-down menu should include "Help". Click Help and you
    should see the new Office "Backstage" screen that has a lot of information
    on it. Including:
    About Microsoft Excel
    Version 14.0.4760.1000 (64-bit)
    Part of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010

Hope this helps. ;<)

RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3002.0810)) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"Ildhund" wrote in message
    To my surprise, selecting Blob > Send > Email in Excel 2010[1] (when I
    eventually tracked it down on that equally impenetrable ribbon) politely
    opened a new mail message with my workbook attached. One major thing that
    seems to have been fixed.

R. C. White, Aug 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Ildhund

...winston Guest

I'm on a system with Office 2007 at the moment...iirc the location for version is similar to Office 2007
    (1) - Look on the Office Button/Options (under Resources)

Better integration with Office was one of the objectives but I haven't spent much time testing them (since I prefer to keep Outlook as my default mail client due to its superior features(contacts, calendar, tasks, etc).

--
    ....winston
    ms-mvp mail

"Ildhund" wrote in message

To my surprise, selecting Blob > Send > Email in Excel 2010[1] (when I eventually tracked it down on that equally impenetrable ribbon) politely opened a new mail message with my workbook attached. One major thing that seems to have been fixed.

...winston, Aug 19, 2010
  4. Ildhund

Ildhund Guest

It was late when I posted... Turns out it's Excel 2007, a trial that came with the machine. I eventually traced the /About/ screen to Blob > Excel options button > Resources > About.

I'm afraid it's going to be a long haul for me to get used to this ribbon arrangement. I honestly cannot understand the logic behind it. One's always had to remember which commands are on which menu, so the weirdness of finding the /Rules/ dialogue on the /Folders/ tab will soon wear off. But why some icons are bigger than others, why some seem to have no visual relation to the command they represent, why they are placed as they are and jump around as the window size changes, why some seem to be duplicated (in a message compose window, what's the difference between the commands on the Insert /tab/ and those on the Insert /menu/?) and why the keyboard shortcuts for them should be so involved, is a catalogue of mysteries for me.

You mentioned the QAT. If I were to put the commands I use regularly on the QAT, I would have a band of tiny images as long as my arm - or perhaps there's a limit to the number I'm allowed? The shortcuts in the Folder pane taught me long ago that it's the position of the icon that counts, not its appearance. Two years with Contacts next to Mail mean that I still regularly click the Calendar icon when trying to open Contacts. In fact, that happened so regularly that I gave up on those icons altogether and used KBSCs. Now even those have been taken away from me...
    --
    Noel

Ildhund, Aug 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question