[Beta] New Message From: dropdown sort order

Discussion in 'Windows Live Mail' started by Ildhund, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Ildhund

Ildhund Guest

Can anyone with lots of accounts confirm that
    (a) the list of From addresses in the message compose window dropdown is now sorted by (domain)(tld)(username)? In the current release (v.14) and earlier, this list was sorted by account name.
    (b) the order of accounts being synchronized is still alphabetical by account name as it is in v.14?

If so, we now have three sort orders to deal with: account name (as listed at Options > Email accounts), Folder Pane order and From: address. Before, there were only two.
    --
    Noel

Ildhund, Aug 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. My dropdown list of From addresses appears to be in random order.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
    ------------------------------------------------------

(a) the list of From addresses in the message compose window dropdown is now sorted by (domain)(tld)(username)? In the current release (v.14) and earlier, this list was sorted by account name.
    (b) the order of accounts being synchronized is still alphabetical by account name as it is in v.14?

If so, we now have three sort orders to deal with: account name (as listed at Options > Email accounts), Folder Pane order and From: address. Before, there were only two.

Gary VanderMolen, Aug 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Ildhund

Ildhund Guest

Sorry, Gary, I'm reluctant to believe that. It is certainly not 'random', although it may not be obvious what the sort order is.

The clue I've taken is from transmission error messages, of which I must have read thousands over the past few months. When an error message refers to an account, it calls it 'the domain.tld1 (username) account' where tld1 is the bit before the next period if there is one. So, for my msn.com account, it would read 'the MSN (burgess) account'. For my live.co.uk one, it's 'the Live.co (burgess) account'. That seems to be some sort of global (within WLMail) shorthand for an e-mail address without using '@'. It's also used for message folder names in the store folder.*

Converting my addresses to this shorthand and then sorting alphabetically, I get the order of the From: dropdown list. We really need an Ozzie with a .com.au address (where's Peter.R when you need him?) to find out where that fits in. Still, if this doesn't apply to your accounts, there must be some other logic.

In v.14, the dropdown was sorted by account name. So with two accounts using the same address, a long way apart in the accounts list, I knew that the higher address in the dropdown was the one higher up in the accounts list as seen at Tools > Accounts. I've yet to set up a parallel account (e.g. Hotmail using HTTP and another using POP3).

*Re-reading and thinking a bit more about this, it might have been necessary to invent the system to be able to differentiate between two folders in the store folder, one containing Live-ID-related stuff and the other containing mail folders. In v.14, the mail folders used the user-defined account name, but now they seem to use the shorthand name regardless of what shows in the folder pane - the other probably got a bit hairy. They couldn't both use the e-mail address as a folder name.

Ildhund, Aug 23, 2010
  4. Ildhund

...winston Guest

a. Sorted alphabetically, first by domain then by username with a common domain
    b. Send/Receive is alpha by account name

--
    ....winston
    ms-mvp mail

...winston, Aug 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question