Can I manipulate print job stream data in between userspace, spooler and printer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Drivers' started by krozerite, Feb 28, 2013.

1. krozerite

krozerite

Hi all.

I am looking for a way to modify printed data before it comes out of the printer. The solution should work for most of PostScript/PCL printers thus be generic enough (e.g. no dll replacements).

What was tried so far:

- port monitor. It seems to be completely useless for my needs due to the need of complete printer driver underneath (e.g. 1 model == 1 driver build, or 1 lousy hack to do it with original driver which may or may not employ its ports too).
    - render plugin (DDK's print\oemdll). There's a large bold warning in WDK8 (only I may have missed it) - these drivers are meant to be installed as a printer and not for existing printer, is that so?

What is still expected to be tested:

- print processors
    - replacing pscript5.dll to custom proxy dll completely, (McAfee does that in its DLP
    - ?

Which possible solution is the best and more recommended? In the end I want to be able to receive the whole datastream, watermark it and then send to printer.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    krozerite, Feb 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question