Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

Discussion in 'Windows Vista File Management' started by jeff, Aug 4, 2007.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    I have an mpeg file on my local hard drive that I cannot delete. My account
    is an administrator account, running under vista ultimate. When I look at the
    file properties I see that the ownership is unassigned (unable to display
    current owner), but when I attempt to take ownership, windows security
    reports "Unable to set new owner on [filename]. Access is denied."

    Can anyone recommend steps to delete this file?
     
    jeff, Aug 4, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. jeff

    dean-dean Guest

    Try this. Right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator.
    Type the following command, and then press
    ENTER:

    takeown /f Path_And_File_Name

    For example, type:
    takeown /f C:\Users\You\Downloads\unwanted.mp3

    Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
    administrators full access to the file:

    icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

    For example, type:
    icacls C:\Users\You\Downloads\unwanted.mp3 /grant administrators:F

    Then try to delete unwanted.mp3.

    If that doesn't work, try to delete the file in Safe Mode.

    "jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an mpeg file on my local hard drive that I cannot delete. My account
    > is an administrator account, running under vista ultimate. When I look at
    > the
    > file properties I see that the ownership is unassigned (unable to display
    > current owner), but when I attempt to take ownership, windows security
    > reports "Unable to set new owner on [filename]. Access is denied."
    >
    > Can anyone recommend steps to delete this file?
     
    dean-dean, Aug 4, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. jeff

    Njetspam Guest

    jeff wrote:
    > I have an mpeg file on my local hard drive that I cannot delete. My account
    > is an administrator account, running under vista ultimate. When I look at the
    > file properties I see that the ownership is unassigned (unable to display
    > current owner), but when I attempt to take ownership, windows security
    > reports "Unable to set new owner on [filename]. Access is denied."
    >
    > Can anyone recommend steps to delete this file?

    Played the mpeg with vista mediaplayer ? take and install vlc-player :)
    do not use mediaplayer it kinda sucks :D
     
    Njetspam, Aug 4, 2007
    #3
  4. I ran into a 3 gig file just yesterday that was seemingly impossible to
    delete. I tried everything.

    I then ran chkdsk g: /f (fix option) on the partition. I was then able to
    delete the file (it had apparently become corrupted).

    --


    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    (For email, remove the obvious from my address)

    "jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an mpeg file on my local hard drive that I cannot delete. My account
    > is an administrator account, running under vista ultimate. When I look at
    > the
    > file properties I see that the ownership is unassigned (unable to display
    > current owner), but when I attempt to take ownership, windows security
    > reports "Unable to set new owner on [filename]. Access is denied."
    >
    > Can anyone recommend steps to delete this file?
     
    Richard Urban, Aug 4, 2007
    #4
  5. jeff

    gdoran Guest

    What can you do if takeown is getting 'access denied" when trying t
    take ownership

    --
    gdora
    Posted via http://www.vistaheads.co
     
    gdoran, Mar 27, 2008
    #5
  6. jeff

    Bob Guest

    How are you running takeown?
    -------
    *Report back, please*
    [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
    that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

    [How to ask a question]
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    "gdoran" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > What can you do if takeown is getting 'access denied" when trying to
    > take ownership?
    >
    >
    > --
    > gdoran
    > Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
    >
     
    Bob, Mar 27, 2008
    #6
  7. jeff

    gdoran Guest

    takedown /f foldername /r. Get Sucess: the fodler foldername is now
    owned by domainname\gdoran. Then get Info: access is denied
    foldername\filename. Filename is set to read-only, can't seem to unset
    it.


    --
    gdoran
    Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
     
    gdoran, Mar 27, 2008
    #7
  8. jeff

    Bob Guest

    Do this then try takeown again:
    attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
    -------
    *Report back, please*
    [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
    that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

    [How to ask a question]
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    "gdoran" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > takedown /f foldername /r. Get Sucess: the fodler foldername is now
    > owned by domainname\gdoran. Then get Info: access is denied
    > foldername\filename. Filename is set to read-only, can't seem to unset
    > it.
    >
    >
    > --
    > gdoran
    > Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
    >
     
    Bob, Mar 28, 2008
    #8
  9. jeff

    gdoran Guest

    gdoran, Mar 28, 2008
    #9
  10. jeff

    Bob Guest

    Run the command from an Administrator Command prompt.


    "gdoran" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Get a access denied trying to change the attribute with attrib.
    >
    >
    > --
    > gdoran
    > Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
    >
     
    Bob, Mar 28, 2008
    #10
  11. Re: Get a access denied trying to change the attribute with attrib.

    Hy. I runned into that damn problem too. And after days of searching I finally found this software: Long Path Tool.
    It's GREAT. You can find it here: http://www.longpathtool.com/
    Regards.

    > On Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:24 AM jef wrote:


    > I have an mpeg file on my local hard drive that I cannot delete. My account
    > is an administrator account, running under vista ultimate. When I look at the
    > file properties I see that the ownership is unassigned (unable to display
    > current owner), but when I attempt to take ownership, windows security
    > reports "Unable to set new owner on [filename]. Access is denied."
    >
    > Can anyone recommend steps to delete this file?



    >> On Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:46 AM dean-dean wrote:


    >> Try this. Right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator.
    >> Type the following command, and then press
    >> ENTER:
    >>
    >> takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
    >>
    >> For example, type:
    >> takeown /f C:\Users\You\Downloads\unwanted.mp3
    >>
    >> Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
    >> administrators full access to the file:
    >>
    >> icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
    >>
    >> For example, type:
    >> icacls C:\Users\You\Downloads\unwanted.mp3 /grant administrators:F
    >>
    >> Then try to delete unwanted.mp3.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work, try to delete the file in Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> "jeff" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...



    >>> On Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:11 PM Njetspam wrote:


    >>> jeff wrote:
    >>> Played the mpeg with vista mediaplayer ? take and install vlc-player :)
    >>> do not use mediaplayer it kinda sucks :D



    >>>> On Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:14 PM Richard Urban wrote:


    >>>> I ran into a 3 gig file just yesterday that was seemingly impossible to
    >>>> delete. I tried everything.
    >>>>
    >>>> I then ran chkdsk g: /f (fix option) on the partition. I was then able to
    >>>> delete the file (it had apparently become corrupted).
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Regards,
    >>>>
    >>>> Richard Urban
    >>>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
    >>>>
    >>>> "jeff" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...



    >>>>> On Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:32 PM gdoran wrote:


    >>>>> What can you do if takeown is getting 'access denied" when trying to
    >>>>> take ownership?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> --
    >>>>> gdoran
    >>>>> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com



    >>>>>> On Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:19 PM Bob wrote:


    >>>>>> How are you running takeown?
    >>>>>> -------
    >>>>>> *Report back, please*
    >>>>>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
    >>>>>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> [How to ask a question]
    >>>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> "gdoran" <> wrote in message
    >>>>>> news:...



    >>>>>>> On Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:37 PM gdoran wrote:


    >>>>>>> takedown /f foldername /r. Get Sucess: the fodler foldername is now
    >>>>>>> owned by domainname\gdoran. Then get Info: access is denied
    >>>>>>> foldername\filename. Filename is set to read-only, can't seem to unset
    >>>>>>> it.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> --
    >>>>>>> gdoran
    >>>>>>> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com



    >>>>>>>> On Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:26 PM Bob wrote:


    >>>>>>>> Do this then try takeown again:
    >>>>>>>> attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
    >>>>>>>> -------
    >>>>>>>> *Report back, please*
    >>>>>>>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
    >>>>>>>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> [How to ask a question]
    >>>>>>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> "gdoran" <> wrote in message
    >>>>>>>> news:...



    >>>>>>>>> On Friday, March 28, 2008 12:23 PM gdoran wrote:


    >>>>>>>>> Get a access denied trying to change the attribute with attrib.
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> --
    >>>>>>>>> gdoran
    >>>>>>>>> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com



    >>>>>>>>>> On Friday, March 28, 2008 2:18 PM Bob wrote:


    >>>>>>>>>> Run the command from an Administrator Command prompt.



    >>>>>>>>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
    >>>>>>>>>> Styling the WPF ScrollViewer
    >>>>>>>>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...c3d1b3439ca/styling-the-wpf-scrollviewer.aspx
     
    Mihaela Roata, Nov 3, 2010
    #11
  12. jeff

    Danteskasas

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi friends you can solve by this long path Tool
     
    Danteskasas, Mar 21, 2012
    #12
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. chrisgruntled

    Access denied ! Access Denied ! Access Denied!

    chrisgruntled, Jul 3, 2006, in forum: Windows Vista Administration
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,555
    marclevesque
    Jul 10, 2006
  2. Sam

    Access Denied, Access Denied- like a broken record!

    Sam, Mar 2, 2008, in forum: Windows Vista General Discussion
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,312
    utaeladil
    Apr 26, 2008
  3. Thjern

    Access Denied! C: access denied

    Thjern, Mar 2, 2009, in forum: Windows Vista Administration
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,272
    oscar
    Mar 6, 2009
  4. William T Bonzo
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,495
    William T Bonzo
    Feb 3, 2006
  5. Guest
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    825
    Guest
    Jun 11, 2009
  6. Jim
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,260
  7. Meinolf Weber
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,120
    Meinolf Weber
    Dec 15, 2007
  8. cees09

    Modify GPO but option doesn't show

    cees09, Dec 21, 2016, in forum: Windows Small Business Server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    847
    cees09
    Dec 21, 2016
Loading...