Changing to a child domain

Discussion in 'Server Migration' started by columbiavol, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. columbiavol

    columbiavol Guest

    There is a 2003 AD structure here called It was set up as a separate domain
    (not a forest). When the guy ran the AD wizard, he said
    the parent domain was, when in fact,
    it should have been So, of course, he was
    not prompted to log in as an administrator and join the child domain to the
    domain. He has already set up users, OU's, etc. Is there a
    way to change the domain and have it
    become a child domain of without having to
    run a new AD wizard and lose all the user and OU
    information that was already created?
    columbiavol, Jul 23, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. columbiavol

    MOTE Guest

    If I understand you correctly....

    a- you have a forest called
    b- you have another forest called
    c- you want to move to become a child of

    Solution: create a child domain under (can't have the same
    name as other domain) and use ADMT to clone all users, groups, servers, wks,
    to new child domain. You can't just graft a forest domain and make it a
    child domain
    of another forest.

    MOTE, Jul 23, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Thanks for your posting here and thanks for Mote's reply.

    Were the forest and domain created
    Where did you run the AD Wizard?

    Maybe we can provide more suggestion if we know more information about the
    scenario and your final purpose.

    Thank you,

    Bob Qin
    Product Support Services
    Microsoft Corporation

    Get Secure! -

    When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Bob Qin [MSFT], Jul 26, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.