Corrupting Cluster Disks

Discussion in 'Clustering' started by Brad Baker, May 6, 2011.

1. Brad Baker

Brad Baker Guest

It was my understanding with windows 2003 clustering, it was always recommended that any shared storage only be accessible to a single node until clustering was fully setup. (reference: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=96F76ED7-9634-4300-9159-89638F4B4EF7)

The above Microsoft whitepaper specifically indicates:
    Warning: To avoid corrupting the cluster disks, make sure that Windows Server 2003 and the Cluster service are installed, configured, and running on at least one node before you start an operating system on another node. It is critical to never have more then one node on until the Cluster service is configured.
    To proceed, turn off all nodes. Turn on the shared storage devices, and then turn on node 1.

I unfortunately can't find an equivalent to this document for windows 2008 fail over clustering. But googling, I don't see any similar warnings about corrupting the cluster disks in windows 2008 R1/R2 failover clusters.

Does that mean we don't have to worry about having multiple hosts accessing the shared storage simultaneously prior to window failover clustering being installed?

Thanks
    Brad

Brad Baker, May 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question