Creating a New User to login Locally

Discussion in 'Windows Small Business Server' started by Tommy Thompson, Apr 27, 2012.

1. I'll try to be brief.

I have a SBS 2003 running AD, DNS , Exchange etc....
    I also have a Windows 2008 R2 that is a member server only.

This is a manufacturing environment that runs 24 x 7 . It is not very often but sometimes a server lock ups and needs to be rebooted. The problem we have is nobody on the night shift is allowed to have the Domain Administrator login and password . The 2008 server has to be logged into because there are 5 programs that have to be started so all our manufacturing equipment operates correctly. These programs have to be started manually because you have to login to the programs themselves to start them , so putting them in the startup group is not an option.

The owner does not want to give anybody else in the building the full domain administrator login credentials for security reasons.

1. Is there a way to create a user account on the 2003 domain server that i can assign enough rights so the user could login locally on both servers and be able to get all programs running and all other services like backup etc .. still function properly .

Current Scenario : problem arises and it is decided to reboot both servers. Ilogin locally on both servers using the domain admin login and password. i start the 5 programs on the 2008 member server and we are good to go.

New Scenario: Same as above but we want to login using the new user account that has limited rights .

Thanks for any help that may be offered.

Tommy Thompson, Apr 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Tommy Thompson

Joe Guest

This newsgroup, which you may have noticed is a bit quiet, has been
    abandoned by Microsoft. The action is now here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Joe, Apr 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Tommy Thompson

Steve Foster Guest

Yes. You can assign any domain user to the local Administrators group
    on the 2008 Server, and thus grant them administrative privileges just
    on the 2008 server. Or any lesser local group that suffices for your
    purposes (eg Server Operators).

There should never be a need to do the same on the SBS itself (SBS
    backup runs without console logon).

Steve Foster, Apr 27, 2012
  4. Furthermore, you can not create local users on a Domain Controller. All