Critical XP Updates Download but fail to Install

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by deacon, Jul 14, 2004.

1. deacon

deacon Guest

Hi There,

Can anybody help please. I have my XP machine setup to automatically notify me when updates are available. When I run the recommendations it usually downloads and then installs successfully, or so it says. Today I have tried to download the lates Critical patches (KB840315, KB841873 & KB840374 amongst others) ans it tells me that they download but FAIL to install. I have tried the re-install several times and it always fails. I then looked at my Installation History only to find out that most of my installs that I thought had been installed have actually failed.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to resolve this please.

deacon, Jul 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. deacon

John Guest

Had the same problem. However, after disabling my personal firewall
    the updates installed ok.
    John

John, Jul 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. deacon

Dshadna Guest

I too had this problem and after reading this particular post and reply went and turned off the Internet Connection Firewall , went immediatly to Update and it took. Then I restarted computer and immediatly put the firewall back on. Glad it was something that "simple". Hope this helps others who also had the same problem. I was also using ZoneAlarms Firewall and completly disabled that too. This is something for others to consider if you are having the same problems. Hope this helps at least one person. Try this as a solution first, it seems to be the one that is working for helping to get the updates if you have any firewall installed.

MAKE SURE TO TURN THEM BACK ON AFTERWORDS THOUGH!!

Dshadna, Jul 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question