Ctrl-Click Opens blank window instead of link in new tab

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer' started by exit17, May 14, 2006.

  1. exit17

    exit17 Guest

    I can right-click a link and choose open in new tab - that works. But, when
    I <CTRL>left-click a link, a blank window opens.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.
     
    exit17, May 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. exit17

    paddyIE Guest

    Hey exit,
    Its been changed to <ctrl><alt>[click] in IE7 to by-bass "blocker" to open a
    link. Its on tools/internet options/privacy-Pop-Up Blocker-settings. Found it
    while looking for something else.
    Patrick
    Still trying to figure out what the meaning of IS is.
     
    paddyIE, May 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. exit17

    exit17 Guest

    Thank you, Patrick. Unfortunately, <ctrl><alt>click does the very same
    thing, i.e. a separate empty window opens, not a new tab. (It's empty
    because my 'home page' is a blank page). Curious that even though it's a new
    page, the link still doesn't open.

    There must be something else I'm missing, but I can't seem to find it...



     
    exit17, May 14, 2006
    #3
  4. Internet Options
    "General" tab
    Tabs area
    Click on Settings
    Check
    Enable Tabbed browsing
    Any of the other options you want there
    When a pop-up is encountered:
    Let IE decide......
    Open links from other programs in;
    A new tab in the current Window
    OK your way out and restart IE
    --
    George (Bindar Dundat©)
    http://dundats.mvps.org
    $Post_Count = $Post_Count +1
    ..
    | Thank you, Patrick. Unfortunately, <ctrl><alt>click does the very same
    | thing, i.e. a separate empty window opens, not a new tab. (It's empty
    | because my 'home page' is a blank page). Curious that even though it's a new
    | page, the link still doesn't open.
    |
    | There must be something else I'm missing, but I can't seem to find it...
    |
    |
    |
    | "paddyIE" wrote:
    |
    | > Hey exit,
    | > Its been changed to <ctrl><alt>[click] in IE7 to by-bass "blocker" to open a
    | > link. Its on tools/internet options/privacy-Pop-Up Blocker-settings. Found
    it
    | > while looking for something else.
    | > Patrick
    | > Still trying to figure out what the meaning of IS is.
    | >
    | >
    | > "exit17" wrote:
    | >
    | > > I can right-click a link and choose open in new tab - that works. But,
    when
    | > > I <CTRL>left-click a link, a blank window opens.
    | > >
    | > > Any suggestions?
    | > >
    | > > Thanks.
    | > >
     
    George \(Bindar Dundat\), May 14, 2006
    #4
  5. exit17

    exit17 Guest

    Thanks, George.

    Those are my settings now. Still, click, <ctrl>click or <ctrl><alt>click a
    link and I get a new, blank window, not a new tab with the link.
     
    exit17, May 14, 2006
    #5
  6. Then I would think that you have a broken registry link that should be pointing
    to ieframe.dll but there are almost 100 of them. I know this is not what you
    want to hear but being a simple process it may be worth an un / re install.
    Uninstall IE7
    Reboot TWICE
    You are now restored to IE6 (or should be)
    Reinstall IE7 making sure that you have disabled any running applications
    including Anti-Virus.
    Reboot TWICE
    Is IE7 working now?

    You might want to read this prior to the re-install
    http://dundats.mvps.org/Internet/InternetExplr/ie7_beta_2_not_installing.htm
    Good Luck
    --
    George (Bindar Dundat©)
    http://dundats.mvps.org
    $Post_Count = $Post_Count +1
    ..
    | Thanks, George.
    |
    | Those are my settings now. Still, click, <ctrl>click or <ctrl><alt>click a
    | link and I get a new, blank window, not a new tab with the link.
    |
    |
    |
    | "George (Bindar Dundat)" wrote:
    |
    | > Internet Options
    | > "General" tab
    | > Tabs area
    | > Click on Settings
    | > Check
    | > Enable Tabbed browsing
    | > Any of the other options you want there
    | > When a pop-up is encountered:
    | > Let IE decide......
    | > Open links from other programs in;
    | > A new tab in the current Window
    | > OK your way out and restart IE
    | > --
    | > George (Bindar Dundat©)
    | > http://dundats.mvps.org
    | > $Post_Count = $Post_Count +1
    | > ..
    | > | > | Thank you, Patrick. Unfortunately, <ctrl><alt>click does the very same
    | > | thing, i.e. a separate empty window opens, not a new tab. (It's empty
    | > | because my 'home page' is a blank page). Curious that even though it's a
    new
    | > | page, the link still doesn't open.
    | > |
    | > | There must be something else I'm missing, but I can't seem to find it...
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "paddyIE" wrote:
    | > |
    | > | > Hey exit,
    | > | > Its been changed to <ctrl><alt>[click] in IE7 to by-bass "blocker" to
    open a
    | > | > link. Its on tools/internet options/privacy-Pop-Up Blocker-settings.
    Found
    | > it
    | > | > while looking for something else.
    | > | > Patrick
    | > | > Still trying to figure out what the meaning of IS is.
    | > | >
    | > | >
    | > | > "exit17" wrote:
    | > | >
    | > | > > I can right-click a link and choose open in new tab - that works.
    But,
    | > when
    | > | > > I <CTRL>left-click a link, a blank window opens.
    | > | > >
    | > | > > Any suggestions?
    | > | > >
    | > | > > Thanks.
    | > | > >
    | >
    | >
     
    George \(Bindar Dundat\), May 14, 2006
    #6
  7. exit17

    exit17 Guest

    Thanks again.

    I disabled Windows Live OneCare, uninstalled IE7, let the PC reboot,
    rebooted again. I then re-installed IE7. The install finished successfully.
    I let the PC reboot, then rebooted again. I then re-enabled the virus,
    spyware, and firewall in Windows Live OneCare.

    The behavior is the same. When I click a link its contents replace the
    current content - as expected. When I <ctrl>click, or <ctrl><alt>click a
    link, I get a new window (blank) - no link contents, no new tab. When I
    right-click/Open-in-a-new-tab a link, it works properly. When I click a link
    in an Outlook 2003 email, it opens in a new tab.

    Otherwise, I can't get links to open conveniently in a new tab from a webpage.



     
    exit17, May 14, 2006
    #7
  8. Recheck your tab settings in Internet Options. The new install will have set
    the IE defaults.
    Also try this tool and use reset defaults >>Tabs. It resets to the old IE7 B2p
    defaults not the current Beta 2 defaults.
    http://dundats.mvps.org/Files/IE_Tools_Lite.zip
    --
    George (Bindar Dundat©)
    http://dundats.mvps.org
    $Post_Count = $Post_Count +1
    ..
    | Thanks again.
    |
    | I disabled Windows Live OneCare, uninstalled IE7, let the PC reboot,
    | rebooted again. I then re-installed IE7. The install finished successfully.
    | I let the PC reboot, then rebooted again. I then re-enabled the virus,
    | spyware, and firewall in Windows Live OneCare.
    |
    | The behavior is the same. When I click a link its contents replace the
    | current content - as expected. When I <ctrl>click, or <ctrl><alt>click a
    | link, I get a new window (blank) - no link contents, no new tab. When I
    | right-click/Open-in-a-new-tab a link, it works properly. When I click a link
    | in an Outlook 2003 email, it opens in a new tab.
    |
    | Otherwise, I can't get links to open conveniently in a new tab from a webpage.
    |
    |
    |
    | "George (Bindar Dundat)" wrote:
    |
    | > Then I would think that you have a broken registry link that should be
    pointing
    | > to ieframe.dll but there are almost 100 of them. I know this is not what
    you
    | > want to hear but being a simple process it may be worth an un / re install.
    | > Uninstall IE7
    | > Reboot TWICE
    | > You are now restored to IE6 (or should be)
    | > Reinstall IE7 making sure that you have disabled any running applications
    | > including Anti-Virus.
    | > Reboot TWICE
    | > Is IE7 working now?
    | >
    | > You might want to read this prior to the re-install
    | > http://dundats.mvps.org/Internet/InternetExplr/ie7_beta_2_not_installing.htm
    | > Good Luck
    | > --
    | > George (Bindar Dundat©)
    | > http://dundats.mvps.org
    | > $Post_Count = $Post_Count +1
    | > ..
    | > | > | Thanks, George.
    | > |
    | > | Those are my settings now. Still, click, <ctrl>click or <ctrl><alt>click
    a
    | > | link and I get a new, blank window, not a new tab with the link.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "George (Bindar Dundat)" wrote:
    | > |
    | > | > Internet Options
    | > | > "General" tab
    | > | > Tabs area
    | > | > Click on Settings
    | > | > Check
    | > | > Enable Tabbed browsing
    | > | > Any of the other options you want there
    | > | > When a pop-up is encountered:
    | > | > Let IE decide......
    | > | > Open links from other programs in;
    | > | > A new tab in the current Window
    | > | > OK your way out and restart IE
    | > | > --
    | > | > George (Bindar DundatÃ,©)
    | > | > http://dundats.mvps.org
    | > | > $Post_Count = $Post_Count +1
    | > | > ..
    | > | > | > | > | Thank you, Patrick. Unfortunately, <ctrl><alt>click does the very
    same
    | > | > | thing, i.e. a separate empty window opens, not a new tab. (It's empty
    | > | > | because my 'home page' is a blank page). Curious that even though
    it's a
    | > new
    | > | > | page, the link still doesn't open.
    | > | > |
    | > | > | There must be something else I'm missing, but I can't seem to find
    it...
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > | "paddyIE" wrote:
    | > | > |
    | > | > | > Hey exit,
    | > | > | > Its been changed to <ctrl><alt>[click] in IE7 to by-bass "blocker"
    to
    | > open a
    | > | > | > link. Its on tools/internet options/privacy-Pop-Up Blocker-settings.
    | > Found
    | > | > it
    | > | > | > while looking for something else.
    | > | > | > Patrick
    | > | > | > Still trying to figure out what the meaning of IS is.
    | > | > | >
    | > | > | >
    | > | > | > "exit17" wrote:
    | > | > | >
    | > | > | > > I can right-click a link and choose open in new tab - that works.
    | > But,
    | > | > when
    | > | > | > > I <CTRL>left-click a link, a blank window opens.
    | > | > | > >
    | > | > | > > Any suggestions?
    | > | > | > >
    | > | > | > > Thanks.
    | > | > | > >
    | > | >
    | > | >
    | >
    | >
     
    George \(Bindar Dundat\), May 14, 2006
    #8
  9. exit17

    exit17 Guest

    Thank you.

    Again, very same result. <ctrl>click or <ctrl><alt>click on a web page
    link will not open the content in a new tab but rather opens an empty window.





     
    exit17, May 14, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.