DNS setting in Win2003 STD Server

Discussion in 'DNS Server' started by tlee, Mar 30, 2010.

1. tlee

tlee Guest

Hi all,

I need to setup AD in office. It is internal to use only and no need to
    communicate outside except for update the MS Fixed patches.
    As I understanding, AD is required to config the DNS.

So, I have some questions in DNS config setting which are not really
    understand, even I read the related MS Server 2003 books.

1) Zone type: Primary zone and Stub zone

2) Store the zone in Active Directory (available only if DNS server is a
    domain controller)

3) Dynamic updates: none, nonsecure and secure, secure only

4) Zone Transfers

Could anyone explain their usage?

Many thanks,

tlee

tlee, Mar 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. For AD, you would want to use AD Integrated zones. These act like Primary zones. A stub zone is a reference to the nameservers of another zone and can be used in lieu of conditional forwarding.
    Yes, that's correct. If the zone is AD integrated, the zone data is stored in the actual physical AD database, and not as a text file in the system32\dns folder as a Primary or Secondary zone.
    For AD, I usually select Secure Only.
    No need for zone transfers, unless you need to create a read only Secondary copy on a non-domain controller.
    I hope that helps.

--
    Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Mar 31, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. tlee

tlee Guest

Thank you so much for your explanations.

I am confusing at the explore of dmsmgmt.

Why did some folders and files appear at the Forward Lookup Zone under the
    domain name ?

Such as:
    Folders
    _msdcs
    _sites
    _tcp
    _udp
    _DomainDnsZones
    _ForestDnsZones

Files duplicated:
    (same as parent folder) Host(A) 192.168.0.1
    Host name Host(A) 192.168.0.1

Since, I have not seen at Win2000 server with same setting. Does it cause
    by DNS Dynamic Updates in Windows2003?

Any DNS understanding resources will you recommend?

Thanks
    tlee

tlee, Mar 31, 2010
  4. These are the SRV records created by AD's Netlogon service. They aer necessary records so everything in the AD domain can "find" the DCs.

This is the LdapIpAddress, a necessary record created by the Netlogon service:
    This is the hostname or "A" record of the DC:
    This is normal. It is done by two things, Netlogon registration, and Dynamic DNS registration of the A forward and PTR record.
    There are many out there. I would suggest taking a class, such as one of the Microsoft courses, to get a better understanding of AD and DNS, since that is what appears to be the scope of your questions.
    One course I can suggest is:
    Course 6425B: Configuring and Troubleshooting Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain Services
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Course.aspx?ID=6425B&Locale=en-us

I would make a suggestion to contact a learning center in this forum, but I don't want to make it seem like I'm advertising. Ping me offline and I can offer suggestions.

--
    Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Apr 1, 2010
  5. tlee

tlee Guest

Ace Fekay,

Many thanks for your heartful help !

tlee

tlee, Apr 2, 2010

6. You are welcome!

--
    Ace

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Apr 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question