error 0x800C0008 - what's a rookie to do?

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by katmac, Feb 12, 2004.

1. katmac

katmac Guest

I've read most of the postings about how to fix this
    time/date problem (exp 1/7/04). But when I start to try
    and fix it, I get scared from all the technical talk! I
    don't know what most of this stuff means and I'm afraid
    I'll mess something up.

Is there anyone who can walk a rookie all the way through
    it?

Katmac

katmac, Feb 12, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. katmac

michaelis Guest

katmac -

before you try all the other 'techy' things, try this. it worked for me. i've gone around and around with all the techie things and none of them worked for me. actually, i found two things that worked, neither of them very techie stuff.

the 'workaround' is to go to the Windows Update Site, but don't hit the Scan for Updates button. before you do that, change the URL in the address bar to show 'https//:' instead of 'http//:'. in other words, usually you will have ----

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

in the address bar. after you change it, it will look like ---

https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

this will reload the webpage and take you to the secure update site. this always worked to get the updates for some reason.

the 'FIX' is a little more involved, but isn't very techie. use the Find on your start menu, and look for a file called HOSTS or HOSTS.SAM. i found mine in the WINNT\System32 directory. yours may be a little different. anyway, when you find it, open the file up in Notepad or Wordpad, and look for any reference that involves Windows Update. I found 2.

You will be looking at a long list of IP addresses, names of websites, and such. don't worry too much about that. the site names are listed alphabetically. just scroll down to find references in the website list for Windows Update or v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp or anything like that.

when you find them, just delete them. make sure there is no blank line between the line above and the line below the line you delete (a lot of times if you just highlight a line and delete, it will leave a blank line there).

that's all there is to it. save the file, and try the WinUpdate again. it should work immediately.

m

----- katmac wrote: -----

I've read most of the postings about how to fix this
    time/date problem (exp 1/7/04). But when I start to try
    and fix it, I get scared from all the technical talk! I
    don't know what most of this stuff means and I'm afraid
    I'll mess something up.

Is there anyone who can walk a rookie all the way through
    it?

Katmac

michaelis, Feb 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. There is nothing "wrong" with "techy" solutions. "techy" solutions sometimes work and sometimes don't. Your solution can work but likely the Windows.Update site is not in a hosts file unless put there by a bug. Usually the entry in hosts that can cause a problem at Microsoft's Windows Update site is having an entry for the akamai servers in there. I don't want to get too "techy" just giving an alternative thing to look for in the hosts file besides the Windows Update site. And remember some sites that have "windows update" in the name can be sites you want to avoid. The domain of the Windows Update site is microsoft.com. So if that is the domain of a "windows update" that you have in hosts then by all means get it out. But if you have an entry for "windows update" that does NOT have microsoft.com as the domain I'd consider leaving it in as that is not the problem.

George Hester, Feb 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question