error 80070490

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by gene7851, Aug 19, 2007.

  1. gene7851

    Derek C Guest

    I tried this same thing. I have a drive C and drive D. drive C is the main
    drive and D is the recovery drive. I followed the instructions above and
    installed on drive D. I received an error trying to run the program not a
    valid win32 program. I moved to drive C like you suggested and still receive
    the error.


     
    Derek C, Oct 4, 2008
    #21
    1. Advertisements

  2. gene7851

    Derek C Guest

     
    Derek C, Oct 4, 2008
    #22
    1. Advertisements

  3. Please begin a new thread about /your/ problem, Derek.

     
    PA Bear [MS MVP], Oct 4, 2008
    #23
  4. gene7851

    Jared Guest

    Same thing happened to me
    no .net file and the next steps wouldnt work
    any other suggestions?
     
    Jared, Nov 12, 2008
    #24
  5. I tried all of these fixes and eventully put in my VISTA cd to use the
    upgrade option. However, the "upgrade" is not available and it says the only
    option is to re-install vista (i.e NUKE AND PAVE). I would prefer to find an
    option that won't take me 2 days to re-install all my software, printers,
    etc.....this donesn't seem like a good option....any other suggestions?



     
    Very frustrated, Dec 21, 2008
    #25
  6. gene7851

    TaurArian Guest

    :: "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
    ::
    ::: A poster in this newsgroup received this information from MS in
    ::: regards to the 80070490 error code:
    :::
    :::: Here's the message I received from Microsoft support:
    ::::
    :::: This error may occur if the older Windows Update engine files
    :::: cannot be replaced by Windows Update Agent 3.0 (7.0.6000.374).
    :::: To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we first reset permission and
    :::: reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0.
    :::: Step 1: Reset permission
    :::: ================
    :::: 1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link
    :::: and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:
    ::::
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads
    :::: 2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    :::: 3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination
    :::: Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to
    :::: reset the permission settings on the current machine.
    :::: Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for
    :::: permission to continue, please click Continue.
    :::: 4. Click the Start Button, in the Start Search bar, type:
    :::: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    :::: 5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened
    :::: Notepad window:
    :::: @echo off
    :::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    :::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    :::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    :::: subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
    :::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    :::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    :::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    :::: subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
    :::: @Echo =========================
    :::: @Echo Finished.
    :::: @Echo =========================
    :::: @pause
    :::: 6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad
    :::: window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type
    :::: "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left
    :::: panel as the save location.
    :::: 7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then
    :::: choose "Run as administrator."
    :::: 8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.
    :::: NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is
    :::: finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press
    :::: any key to continue". Step 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
    :::: ===========================
    :::: 1. Please download the file from the following link:
    :::: Windows Vista (32bit)
    ::::
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
    :::: Windows Vista (64bit)
    ::::
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe
    :::: 2. Save the file to D: drive.
    :::: Note: Please select a drive where Windows Vista was not loaded
    :::: because the file cannot be launched directly from the system root
    :::: directory.
    :::: 3. Click Start->Run, type: "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
    :::: /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the
    :::: Windows Update engine.
    :::: Note: There is a space between "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe"
    :::: and "/wuforce"
    :::: Now, let's run Windows Update again.
    :::
    ::: It did not resolve the issue for the OP, so MS then recommended :
    :::
    :::: It failed for me too. Microsoft then suggested performing an
    :::: in-place Vista upgrade, which did indeed fix the problem.
    ::::
    :::: 1. With Windows Vista running, insert the Windows Vista CD/DVD.
    :::: 2. Run Setup.
    :::: 3. When prompted, select Upgrade.
    :::: 4. The process takes a LONG time.
    :::
    ::: HTH,
    ::: MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
    ::: ===============
    ::: *-343-* FDNY
    ::: Never Forgotten
    ::: ===============
    :::
    :::
    :::
    ::: gene7851 wrote:
    :::
    :::: trying to install security update KB925902. Continuously fails
    :::: error code 80070490 which is not listed. How do I complete
    :::: installation or should I ignore update?

    Very frustrated wrote:
    :: I tried all of these fixes and eventully put in my VISTA cd to use
    :: the upgrade option. However, the "upgrade" is not available and it
    :: says the only option is to re-install vista (i.e NUKE AND PAVE). I
    :: would prefer to find an option that won't take me 2 days to
    :: re-install all my software, printers, etc.....this donesn't seem
    :: like a good option....any other suggestions?
    ::
    ::

    0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND
    Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of
    the OS.

    Ignore the title you could try SFC : Some Windows Vista functions may not
    work, or Windows Vista may stop responding
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
    Tells you about SFC (no guarantees) you still may have t reinstall the OS.

    BTW - always start your own thread.
    --

    TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
    http://taurarian.mvps.org
    ======================================
    How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
    or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
    Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
     
    TaurArian, Dec 22, 2008
    #26
  7. gene7851

    Ben Guest

    I get the error when trying to install the SP1 that I downloaded
    independently of the Update.
     
    Ben, Dec 22, 2008
    #27
  8. gene7851

    jrobo Guest

    I managed to install the clean up utility, but, like most of us, I could not
    find .NET Framework 2.0 in the list to remove it. Help! How come Microsoft
    hasn't come up with a reasonable response for those of us who are still
    suffering?!! How long till they come through??
     
    jrobo, Jan 6, 2009
    #28
  9. gene7851

    jhaysITQ Guest

    BY chance - do most people that are experiencing this problem have Norton
    Internet Security? If you look at your installed updates - it will show you
    when the last update succeeded. The Windows Defender and Malicious Updates
    have worked even with the 64x updates fail. Mine go back to when Norton
    Security center was installed. I turned it off, but still get error - may
    try uninstalling Norton and see if it corrects it. I will repost afterwards.



     
    jhaysITQ, Jan 21, 2009
    #29
  10. gene7851

    Jason Guest

    did your update service stop working on the 18th December 2008
    mine and another persons did.
    my last update was the Internet explorer 7 security update KB960714

    i tried everything else as well... still nothing.
    just trying to find the link
     
    Jason, Jan 27, 2009
    #30
  11. gene7851

    jakhoo Guest

    Fm: jakhoo...
    Windows Vista

    ye... thats right. i tried all that and still have the error 80070490.
    the lengthy display above comes originally from a blog by Andreas Klein (if
    i'm not wrong!)
    I also tried to find an answer on www.bleepingcomputer.com. But no success.
    why don't the smart guys from Microsoft - Brahma of Vista - do something
    about it?
     
    jakhoo, Jan 30, 2009
    #31
  12. gene7851

    Number4 Guest

    Did you look in the registry for the .NET file? I had some issues with the
    ..NET Framework and found it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft
    | .NETFramework. I had to delete the version in question; in my case it was
    v2.0.50727. I deleted that key and was then able to proceed. ***NOTE***
    Messing with the registry could cause the system to not work. I'm not saying
    this is the way to proceed but it worked for me.
     
    Number4, Feb 3, 2009
    #32
  13. gene7851

    jakhoo Guest

    Hi,

    I'm not good at this techie stuff. Tried to find .NET Framework (as you
    suggest) and came up with (some same as yours), but too scared to delete/make
    changes in the Registry. Can you guide please? OS; Windows Vista SP1:
    THANKS......
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\DisplayName : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\Description : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\DisplayName : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\Description : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\DisplayName : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\Description : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN

    ***NOTE**** THIS IS NOT THE COMPLETE LIST (because i can't insert more than
    30000 characters)
     
    jakhoo, Feb 4, 2009
    #33
  14. gene7851

    Number4 Guest

    I haven't worked with Vista yet so these steps are for XP...
    The first thing you want to do is back up the registry. In the Registry
    Editor on the menu bar go to File | Export. Name the file something you can
    remember, I usually put the date in it to help me and then save it to a
    location easy to get to, like C:\temp\ or something. Now that you have a .reg
    file there, if there are any problems with the registry, just double-click
    the .reg file and it will ask if you want to add it to the registry. Try it
    out before attempting to delete anything.

    Now that you have a clean snapshot of your registry that you can reload to
    put it back as it was originally, go in and delete one of the keys. Reboot
    the machine and see if you have any glitches. If yes, reload the saved .reg
    file; if no, delete another key and repeat. This is slow and tedious but if
    you're not comfortable with the registry this is the only way to do it
    yourself.
     
    Number4, Feb 4, 2009
    #34
  15. gene7851

    Number4 Guest

    Number4, Feb 4, 2009
    #35
  16. gene7851

    :) Guest

    I get an unrecoverable error when I try to download windows up date

     
    :), Feb 16, 2009
    #36
  17. gene7851

    TaurArian Guest

    Read this: How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Start your own thread and provide all the necessary information.

    Thank you.


    :) wrote:
    :: I get an unrecoverable error when I try to download windows up date
    ::
    :: "frustration" wrote:
    ::
    ::: The real questions are WHY this happens and WHY it can't be found
    ::: on the msn site itself.
    ::: I had to google to find this article.
    :::
    ::: "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
    :::
    :::: A poster in this newsgroup received this information from MS in
    :::: regards to the 80070490 error code:
    ::::
    ::::: Here's the message I received from Microsoft support:
    :::::
    ::::: This error may occur if the older Windows Update engine files
    ::::: cannot be replaced by Windows Update Agent 3.0 (7.0.6000.374).
    ::::: To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we first reset permission
    ::::: and reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0.
    ::::: Step 1: Reset permission
    ::::: ================
    ::::: 1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link
    ::::: and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:
    :::::
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads
    ::::: 2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    ::::: 3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the
    ::::: Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use
    ::::: this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.
    ::::: Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for
    ::::: permission to continue, please click Continue.
    ::::: 4. Click the Start Button, in the Start Search bar, type:
    ::::: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    ::::: 5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the
    ::::: opened Notepad window:
    ::::: @echo off
    ::::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    ::::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    ::::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    ::::: subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
    ::::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    ::::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    ::::: subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    ::::: subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
    ::::: @Echo =========================
    ::::: @Echo Finished.
    ::::: @Echo =========================
    ::::: @pause
    ::::: 6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad
    ::::: window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type
    ::::: "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left
    ::::: panel as the save location.
    ::::: 7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then
    ::::: choose "Run as administrator."
    ::::: 8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.
    ::::: NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is
    ::::: finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press
    ::::: any key to continue". Step 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
    ::::: ===========================
    ::::: 1. Please download the file from the following link:
    ::::: Windows Vista (32bit)
    :::::
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
    ::::: Windows Vista (64bit)
    :::::
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe
    ::::: 2. Save the file to D: drive.
    ::::: Note: Please select a drive where Windows Vista was not loaded
    ::::: because the file cannot be launched directly from the system root
    ::::: directory.
    ::::: 3. Click Start->Run, type: "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
    ::::: /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install
    ::::: the Windows Update engine.
    ::::: Note: There is a space between "D:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe"
    ::::: and "/wuforce"
    ::::: Now, let's run Windows Update again.
    ::::
    :::: It did not resolve the issue for the OP, so MS then recommended :
    ::::
    ::::: It failed for me too. Microsoft then suggested performing an
    ::::: in-place Vista upgrade, which did indeed fix the problem.
    :::::
    ::::: 1. With Windows Vista running, insert the Windows Vista CD/DVD.
    ::::: 2. Run Setup.
    ::::: 3. When prompted, select Upgrade.
    ::::: 4. The process takes a LONG time.
    ::::
    :::: HTH,
    :::: MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
    :::: ===============
    :::: *-343-* FDNY
    :::: Never Forgotten
    :::: ===============
    ::::
    ::::
    ::::
    :::: gene7851 wrote:
    ::::
    ::::: trying to install security update KB925902. Continuously fails
    ::::: error code 80070490 which is not listed. How do I complete
    ::::: installation or should I ignore update?
     
    TaurArian, Feb 16, 2009
    #37
  18. gene7851

    jlanoue Guest

    Has anyone actually ever fixed this problem? I've seen all the posts on
    what to do but haven't seen any saying problem solved.

    In my case update log shows all of the Defender Updates were successful
    and all the Windows Search 4.0 fails.

    I'm using Dell 1330 laptop, 2.4 GHz, 4Gig RAM, Vista Ultimate on D
    drive.

    Thanks for any guidance.

    ..Joe
     
    jlanoue, Feb 17, 2009
    #38
  19. gene7851

    JC Guest

    This doesn't work for me. It failed at

    Windows Update Agent failed to install. I guess that this may be older than
    the one I have. I am running Vista SP1, and this article is posted
    8/19/2007. What's the latest Windows update Agent?




     
    JC, Apr 17, 2009
    #39
  20. gene7851

    JC Guest

    This doesn't work for me. There is no .NET framework in Windows Installer
    Clean Up screen and thus no way to remove it.
     
    JC, Apr 17, 2009
    #40
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.