Extending the C System Partition

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Lambo, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. Lambo

    Lambo Guest


    I am running Windows 2003 SBS. I have three partition, one is the system
    patition, a D partition and an E partition. I have deleted the D partition
    so I now have 56gb of unallocated space. I would like to extent the C system
    partition to use the unallocated space. I have read that there is a command
    prompt utility called "diskpart" which can enxtend partitions. Please could
    you advise me as to whether I can use this utility to extend the system
    partition or would you recommend third party software.

    Kindest Regards
    Lambo, Oct 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Lambo

    Juan Perez Guest


    As far as I know you can not use diskpart to modify a system partiticion.
    You can use a thirdparty application like partition manager, or boot from a
    different HDD that your actual c: and use diskpart.

    I hope it helps.
    Juan Perez, Oct 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Agreed. Alternatively, you could use tools like Ghost or TrueImage to
    capture the actual state of your system, repartition and restore the image
    to a newly sized disk.
    Arek Iskra [MVP], Oct 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.