Fast Forward and Rewind Do NOT Work Now!

Discussion in 'Windows Media Center' started by mslack, Feb 12, 2004.

1. mslack

mslack Guest

Ever since I applied the latest MCE patch from Windows Update, my fast forward and rewind functions on my remote (or the MCE window for that matter) cause my recorded TV or live TV to hang. It never did this before. I have changed no other software, drivers, etc. on my laptop

Any ideas? Anyone else having problems?

mslack, Feb 12, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. mslack

mslack Guest

Actually, it could also have been the automatic windows update for my Nvidia 5600 drivers (version 4.7.1.2). The two windows updates (MCE and Nvidia) are the only changes I have made to my zd7000 laptop

I will think twice about updating ANYTHING on my laptop through Windows Update again. If it isn't broke, why fix it

Mark

mslack, Feb 12, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. mslack

Jason Tsang Guest

That's the half the reason why worms/viruses like Blaster/Welchia etc have
    spread so rapidly... because people don't update their machines for known
    vulnerabilities.

My advice, get the Windows Critical Updates, but avoid all driver related
    updates (in almost all cases you are better off getting the drivers straight
    from the manufacturer)

--
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Nvidia 5600 drivers (version 4.7.1.2). The two windows updates (MCE and
    Nvidia) are the only changes I have made to my zd7000 laptop.
    Update again. If it isn't broke, why fix it!

Jason Tsang, Feb 13, 2004
  4. mslack

mslack Guest

Thanks..

There is a 50 series driver update directly from Nvidia. However, it isn't posted on the HP web site or the Windows Update web site yet. Are you saying that in most cases I can download the drivers directly from the Nvidia web site and bypass the other two

Mar

----- Jason Tsang wrote: ----

That's the half the reason why worms/viruses like Blaster/Welchia etc hav
    spread so rapidly... because people don't update their machines for know
    vulnerabilities

My advice, get the Windows Critical Updates, but avoid all driver relate
    updates (in almost all cases you are better off getting the drivers straigh
    from the manufacturer

--
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MV

Find out about the MS MVP Program
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.asp

Nvidia 5600 drivers (version 4.7.1.2). The two windows updates (MCE an
    Nvidia) are the only changes I have made to my zd7000 laptop

mslack, Feb 13, 2004
  5. mslack

jimeeboy51 Guest

Yup, just what Mark said. Try to do a system restore prior to doing windows updates. If still cannot figure it out, you may want to do a complete reinstall. At least that is what I did the first time. I am not careful of the updates that I install and create system restore points prior to installing them incase I have to undo them. Good luck.

jimeeboy51, Apr 1, 2004
  6. mslack

Paul. Guest

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I had tried this & it made my system worse which resulted in another "fresh" install of MCE

It's really too bad, because i really like MCE when it worked..

----- mslack wrote: ----

Paul

I wrote the following a couple of days ago in another thread. It MAY help in your situation

Mar

For anyone having problems with MCE's fast forward and rewind buttons, either on the screen or on the actual remote, mine froze and froze when playing recorded TV shows and such. This was caused by downloading several recommended Windows updates, i.e. OS upgrades, hardware driver updates. No one had a clue

Well, at least in my situation, the solution was to download and install the most recent version of WinDVD Creator. All is well

Be careful of downloading Windows updates! They go ahead and update their software, but fail to tell their customers the updates they need to make to the "other guys" software so that everyone is on the same page

I'm a happy camper now

Mar

Paul., Apr 1, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question