Force DNS server to Cisco VPN Client

Discussion in 'DNS Server' started by smitchel, Jul 8, 2011.

1. smitchel

smitchel

Hello everybody,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my VPN clients and I'm looking for some help. I don't think it's too hard but I can't seem to find the information I need anywhere.

I use an ASA 5510 as a VPN server for my VPN clients who use the Cisco VPN client software to get access to the local network. Most of the time, it works perfectly fine and they are able to connect to their mail account directly with Outlook messenger using a local DNS name that points to the local IP address, but for some reason, sometimes it tries to connect to the server using the public IP address. So what I do is that I add a line in the "hosts" file located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" to tell the computer what IP address to use for a the domain name. But I would like to find a way, when using the VPN client, to make the client use only the local DNS servers and not the public ones.

Has anyone any idea on how I should configure my ASA 5510 in order to make it all work out the way I need?

Thank you in advance for the help you will provide me with.

smitchel, Jul 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question