Forest trust between 2000 forest and 2003 forest.

Discussion in 'Active Directory' started by ERIC, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. ERIC

    ERIC Guest

    Hi guy's ! Im having trouble with forest trust here is my situation...

    i've got 2 domain in 2 different forest... both PDC are the root of each
    domain... PDC A is a W2k server forest raised in 2000 native mode... and PDC
    B is a W2k3 server forest raised in 2003 server mode.... i need to give a 2
    way trust so i can do the migration of my 2000 AD to my 2003 AD .... im havin
    few problem when it come to make the trust.. they ccan verify the trust...

    thx a lot
    ERIC, Mar 4, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. ERIC

    ptwilliams Guest

    You can only create forest trusts between fully functional 2003 forest
    root-domain controllers.

    If you have a 2000 forest, you will need to create separate external trusts
    for each domain in that forest to each domain in the 2003 forest.

    If you're having difficulty creating the trusts the most likely problem is
    name resolution. In this case, each domain needs to be able to resolve the
    other domain's SRV records. One way of achieving this is for a DNS server
    in one domain to host a secondary copy of the other domain's DNS zone.

    For example, you have two domains A and B. A should hold a (secondary) copy
    of Bs DNS domain, and B should hold a (secondary) copy of As DNS domain.


    Paul Williams
    ptwilliams, Mar 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. ERIC

    ERIC Guest

    Thx Mr. Williams !

    well its pretty simple i only got 2 domain.. but i will demote the 2000
    domain when the 2003 will be up..So i'll try this tommorow to make external
    trust into each domain i appriciated ! thx
    ERIC, Mar 6, 2005
  4. ERIC

    ptwilliams Guest

    ptwilliams, Mar 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.