Handling the "this recording is marked read-only andcannot be dleted" error in Windows Media Center

Discussion in 'Windows Media Center' started by RT Leach, Dec 14, 2006.

1. RT Leach

RT Leach Guest

The previous person wrote that "if you know your XML" but since there are many more people out there that DON'T know XML, I decided to provide some steps to take in order to help them. I too had this problem with a recording of a show that would not delete. Like most people, I set the recordings to go into a folder called "Recorded TV" on my external 400GB USB drive. Since I like to watch my videos in the living room, I copy the recordings to a shared drive which I can then access from the living room and enjoy. Once I have copied it over, I delete them from the "Recorded TV" folder.

All was well until one day when I deleted a show from all drives, but it still kept showing up in my listing in MCE. It was not until the nice person who posted the previous info did I realize where I had to look. With that piece of information, I am now able to give you the skinny on getting rid of this problem.

**** I suggest you print this out or cut and paste to wordpad before starting ***

Step 1. Open MCE and find the program title, not the name of show. Close MCE (otherwise it could change your info due to a new recording starting or ending)

Step 2. You need to find "Recordings.xml" and assuming that you didn't "tweak" your MCE settings to much, you should be able to find it located at: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft\eHome\Recording\Recordings.xml please make sure to keep a backup copy of the file just in case you make an error, I would hate to see you lose the season finale of Survivor.

Step 3. Right click on the file and choose "Open with..." and then choose your favorite text document editor (Notepad, Wordpad) DO NOT OPEN IN MS WORD, depending on the version of Word that you have, the darn thing will want you to choose a data view (XSLT) to apply, you don't want or need that. If you happen to have an XML editor (like XMLSpy) then use that, but then of course if you had a $800 XML program, chances are you have some idea of how to write XML and this whole thign is moot.

Step 4. With the document open, you want to find the show that you are having the problem with. You can use whatever method to find it you want (I prefer to use the good ole CTRL +F for find and then enter the item I am looking for)

::: Quick Background :::::
    XML works by using a set of words that describes data, they call these words "tags" and for each tag, many more tags can be used to further describe that first tag. Example: If I wanted to describe customers to my store in XML I could use a <Customers> tag then I could use more tags to further describe my customers such as <FirstName> <LastName>, <CustomerId> etc. Each tag must have an ending bracket <> to denote that we have completed describing that item so with <Customers> being the "Parent" or "Root" tag, an entry of </Customers> tells the XML reader that I am done describing the customers.

:::::Back to the task at hand :::::

Step 5. Now that you have found the show you want to delete, you need to find the "parent tag" for the show which is: "RecordingScheduleItem" and it will appear as <RecordingScheduleItem .... with a great deal of data about the show in place of those dots I just put. In order to delete the show from the list, you need to highlight the entire text starting at the <RecordingScheduleItem for the item and going all the way until you have found and also selected the </RecordingScheduleItem>. To be sure that you have it, you should have also included the <Bookmarks> and <SceneItems> in your highlighted listing. Delete the entire area that you just highlighted.

Step 6. Save the file as "Recordings.xml" into the same directory you found it. Make sure that you use the quotes around the Recordings.xml since this will force Windows to save it as an XML. In some versions of Windows if you don't use the quotes it may save it as "Recordings.xml.txt" and that will not work. Don't trust the Windows Explorer to be correct even if it says the file name is Recordings.xml since if you have "Show file extensions" featured turned off (default in XP) then you won't see the ".txt" extension and all of a sudden your shows will disappear.

Step 7. Reopen MCE and take a look at your list of recorded shows, the show that was giving the problem should now be gone.

Copyright disclaimer: You may reprint any or all of this posting as long as you give proper credit to the source and authors name as provided above. All rights reserved.

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

RT Leach, Dec 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question