HCT 11.2 - Surprise Removal Failure for USB device

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Drivers' started by Shaun, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Shaun

Shaun Guest

H

I am looking for information on the inner workings and logic in the Hardware Compatibility Test Kit 11.2 Test Manager because the Test Manager fails my USB driver on the Surprise Removal test with error code 0x13. There is no additional information in the kernel debugger log. The driver passes each and every other test in the Universal category. In fact, the driver passes the DDK PnP Driver Test Tool which runs multiple surprise removals

It appears that the test manager is sending a number of IRP_MN_QUERY_DEVICE_RELATIONS IRPs, in pairs of RemovalRelations and PowerRelations DeviceRelationTypes before failing my driver. My device is extremely simple - it uses a single BULK IN and a single BULK OUT channel with no child devices. The driver is very straight-forward - basically Compuware's DriverWorks Wizard-generated driver.

The driver is built with the Win2000 DDK because the WinXP DDK failed to generate a WDM driver portable across 98SE, ME, 2K and XP - it failed to load on Win98

Can anyone shed any light on what 'i' I mightn't have dotted or 't' I mightn't have crossed for the HCT test to fail??

Best Regards

Shau

Shaun, Feb 15, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Shaun

Mark Roddy Guest

Hardware Compatibility Test Kit 11.2 Test Manager because the Test Manager
    fails my USB driver on the Surprise Removal test with error code 0x13.
    There is no additional information in the kernel debugger log. The driver
    passes each and every other test in the Universal category. In fact, the
    driver passes the DDK PnP Driver Test Tool which runs multiple surprise
    removals.
    IRP_MN_QUERY_DEVICE_RELATIONS IRPs, in pairs of RemovalRelations and
    PowerRelations DeviceRelationTypes before failing my driver. My device is
    extremely simple - it uses a single BULK IN and a single BULK OUT channel
    with no child devices. The driver is very straight-forward - basically
    Compuware's DriverWorks Wizard-generated driver.
    And how exactly did you handle these requests?

--
    =====================
    Mark Roddy DDK MVP
    Windows 2003/XP/2000 Consulting
    Hollis Technology Solutions 603-321-1032
    www.hollistech.com

Mark Roddy, Feb 16, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Shaun

Shaun Guest

For both DeviceRelationTypes I set the IRP status to STATUS_SUCCESS and pass the IRP down the stack. Since my driver doesn't have any child devices I don't have any PDOs to reference in reply to RemovalRelations (as I understand it). The PowerRelations query is 'reserved' in the documentation and Microsoft's WHQL USB Help contact told me PowerRelations is not used.

Has anyone else received a PowerRelations query during surprise removal?

Shaun, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Shaun

howard Guest

Shaun
    I wonder if you have found any information and solution on your problem and would like to share. I am having similar problem with HCT 11.2 surprise removal test failure (code 0x5) but I couldn't find any detail document on it.

thanks

Howard

howard, May 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question