How do you install the updates that you download from the windowsupdate catalog?

Discussion in 'Windows Update' started by FullOfQuestions, Apr 25, 2004.

1. I know it's stupid, but I get annoyed when I see a "Hotfix #XXXX-XXXX" entry in "Add/Remove Programs" for EVERY fix that windowsupdate installs for you. How do I install it myself? The downloads aren't the easy "click on setup.exe" files. They're actually packaged in a directory structure. Anyone? thanks, in advance

FullOfQuestions, Apr 25, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. FullOfQuestions

Maurice N Guest

After having made the selection, and downloaded file from Windows Update catalog, you go to the folder where you saved the file, and then run it. Example: Use Windows Explorer to get to file; double-click on it. That should start the setup of it.
    If you are familiar, you can choose RUN from main menu, Browse to where the file is; then ok to run it.

Not all Windows hotfixes will be in Add/Remove programs. Only the *removable* ones are there.

Maurice N, Apr 25, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Uhhh, no...there's only one file that was downloaded, and although it's an .exe, it only contains .dll files and such. I have no idea where they would go

Downloading creates this
    %Saved Directory%\WU\Software\en\com_microsoft.internetexplorer6x\x86win2k\com_microsoft.Q318089_W2K_XP_IE6_5226

FullOfQuestions, Apr 25, 2004
  4. FullOfQuestions

Maurice N Guest

Where exactly do you see this? Is that a folder, or an entry in a log file?

Maurice N, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Yes, that is the folder structure that is created when I download to %Saved Directory%

FullOfQuestions, Apr 27, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question