How to image Server 2008?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Tom Hill, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Tom Hill

Tom Hill Guest

Is it possible to image a Windows 2008 server as a backup strategy?
    I currently use Norton Ghost to automatically maintain a backup image on a
    desktop PC, and would like to do the same with a 2008 file server.
    I tried using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite but am unable to image the host
    server with it.
    Am I missing something?

Tom Hill, Mar 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. I used to use Ghost to clone workstations, laptops in a corporate environment. I've even used it to image Windows 2000 and 2003 servers in a classroom environment. However, I have not used it for 2008 because most of the class setups that we now use are VM based. What I can tell you is there are certain limitations when it comes to servers, such as it doesn't support RAID config. It may also have limitations when using the client with teamed NICs, as well as possible issues with 64 bit systems, depending on the version of GSS.

For server backups, I like to rely on tape, as well as enabling Shadow Copies. I believe Altiris will do the trick for what you want to do, but I haven't tried that yet with server configs. I know of two major prior customers that use it on their domain controllers, despite my warnings not to use it, because using it to recover a DC can introduce numerous issues within AD, such as USN Rollbacks and other replication issues to the point the image is useless.

Without knowing specifics, as well as not having personally used it for something like what you are trying to do, I would highly suggest to contact Symantec support. Have you contacted them yet?

--
    Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Mar 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Tom Hill

Kerry Brown Guest

Have you tried the built in Server 2008 backup? It works very well for
    smaller environments. Even in a larger environment it can be useful. It
    creates an image you can use to restore from bare metal by booting from DVD,
    USB, or PXE.

Kerry Brown, Mar 6, 2010
  4. The Windows backup built into 2008 is already "image based". It uses VHD
    image files. I used to hate the utility, but I have softened somewwhat on
    it. There are mulitple retore methods with it, as Kerry Brown was
    mentioning.

If you start using Virtualization you can leave all this grief behind
    because you just keep copies of your VM Images. You also don't have to worry
    about situaitons with "differenet hardware" being a problem.

Phillip Windell, Mar 8, 2010
  5. Tom Hill

DaveMills Guest

I am think of starting to use VMs on W2008 R2. I feel that WSUS, Kaspersky Admin
    Server and similar are good candidates for VM deployment but maybe Exchange
    2010, SQL server etc. would be a bad candidate. Any thought on this.

DaveMills, Mar 9, 2010

6. There are mixed emotions (lack of a better word) about virtualizing Exchange. The Exchange folks swear by it, but from experience in the past, and I'm talking about 4 years ago, with a customer who had done that with older hardware, it was not successful. I wound up assisting to create a new Ex server and move everything over to it.

However with increased CPU speeds, memory speeds and using fast spindle RAID5 setups, you can do it. However, I am still old school with Exchange by keeping it on a physical machine. Same with SQL and a heavy used file server. Just about anything else can be easily virtualized, including DCs.

--
    Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Mar 9, 2010
  7. Here's some material on virtualizing SQL Server 2008:

http://sqlcat.com/whitepapers/archi...ractices-and-performance-recommendations.aspx

We've deployed one in production and it worked fine. The only thing you
    should consider when deploying SQL Server on Hyper-V is the number of
    processors you'll need. Hyper-V can utilize max 4 processors so if you have
    requirements for more, you wouldn't be able to do that. VMWare's ESX server
    can utilize 8 processors, and that's as far as it will go at least for the
    near future.

Other than that, it's working fine ...

Matija Kapraljevic [Revenger], Mar 9, 2010
  8. Tom Hill

kj [SBS MVP] Guest

Hyper-V V2 (2008 R2) supports 8 physical processors and up to 64 logical
    processors.

Many of the issues with virtualizing DB servers (like Exchange and SQL) have
    been around I/O, both disk and network.

Recent enhancements have really made this a non issue with properly
    configured hardware and hypervisor configurations.... inmo at least.

kj [SBS MVP], Mar 9, 2010
  9. Tom Hill

DaveMills Guest

Thanks all I will have think about this. The kit is HP DL380 G5&G6 Dual CPU Quad
    core. The EXCH will support less than 1500 users mostly on OWA. The G6 will be a
    file server with 1.3TB. System disk is Raid 1 15k SAS and data on Raid 5 SAS. So
    I guess I have the headroom.

PS Its a school

DaveMills, Mar 9, 2010
  10. I'm looking at the tables and it's always confusing me:
    How many processors can you assign per virtual machine?
    Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 could assign 4 CPUs max...
    Yes, but, I/O overhead with passthrough disks is less than 10 percent, and
    I'd suggest that the physical host be packed with NICs, dedicate one to
    physical host only, and the others to virtual server(s) ...

Matija Kapraljevic [Revenger], Mar 9, 2010
  11. Tom Hill

kj [SBS MVP] Guest

Ah, yes, *per virtual machine* it's still 4 "virtual" processors per virtual
    machine. - But Hyper-V supports the higher number of physical processors and
    higher number of virtual processors per Hyper-V host. Perhaps I took your
    original statment in the wrong context.
    Agreed. virtualization IO issues can be "non issues" with proper hardware
    and virtualization configurations even for demanding applications.

kj [SBS MVP], Mar 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question