How to make a domain DFS root target fault-tolerant/Highly-Availab

Discussion in 'File Systems' started by gatox, Oct 17, 2007.

1. gatox

gatox Guest

Good afternoon,

While playing with a domain-based DFS I noticed that when the server that
    hosts the root target DFS namespace goes down, everything under that DFS
    namespace becomes unavailable. Even other targets, links and referrals are
    really no use under this conditions.

What can be done to make it highly-available so if my prime root goes down a
    second can become the new root but will hold the same links and targets as my
    primary.

regards,

Luis

gatox, Oct 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. gatox

DaveMills Guest

You need two DCs available. The DC is responsible for supplying info to the
    clients about the Root server(s)
    You then need more than one Root servers that are replicas of each other.

The client queries the DC for a list of root servers and the queries the root
    server for the links. This seems to work well enough unless the Root server is
    available but overloaded. There does not seem to be any quick failover
    mechanism. If the queried Root server is responding/online but taking ages to
    supply the results the client just has to wait. This is bit like DNS was in NT4.
    It would be a good improvement if the client was to query the root servers in a
    similar was to DNS queries. i.e. send a query to the first root and a second or
    two later the next and so on until an answer is received. Most of the time the
    first server will respond within a short time and the other queries will not be
    generated. As it is it can sometime take a very long time for the target to be
    resolved.

DaveMills, Oct 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question