I can't get data from my old HDD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Security' started by Familydavis, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. Familydavis

    Familydavis Guest

    My PC blew up, I now have a new PC with Vista installed. On my HDD, certain
    files are encrypted and I can't move them onto my new PC - I have tried
    everything that I can think of but the new PC does not recognise me as the
    'owner' of the folders so will not let me move them! I can move all
    non-encrypted files though - help!!!
    Familydavis, Aug 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. Familydavis

    Seth Guest

    The encryption wouldn't do much good if you could get the data, would it?

    When you encrypted the original files, did you make an emergency recovery
    disk with your key? If the encryption is any good, without that key, you
    will never get your files back.
    Seth, Aug 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. Familydavis

    Peter Foldes Guest

    You have to take ownership of those files
    Peter Foldes, Aug 19, 2007
  4. Familydavis

    Familydavis Guest

    I cannot take ownership of the files, Vista says that access is denied. I've
    tried opening the files in the hope that I could save as something else but
    access is denied.
    Familydavis, Aug 19, 2007
  5. Familydavis

    Malke Guest

    Check the permissions of the file or folder the file is saved in and
    take ownership:

    1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab.
    3. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions you

    To open a file, you need to have read permission. For more information
    on permissions, see What are permissions?


    To take ownership of a folder:

    1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then
    click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    3. Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for
    an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
    4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
    5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in
    this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check
    6. Click OK

    Malke, Aug 19, 2007
  6. Familydavis

    Familydavis Guest

    Thanks for the advice, tried it all but no luck! Have now lost Video's of my
    kids, all of my music and all of My Documents.
    I even tried plugging my HDD into another machine and tried to boot that but
    it wouldn't even go into safe mode.
    Familydavis, Aug 19, 2007
  7. Familydavis

    Hobo Guest

    Familydavis, give us some more information to work with. It
    appears that if you want to be able to recover those files
    you will have to get your old PC running.

    You said it "blew up". Exactly what happened with it? Also,
    what OS was in use on your old PC? What program or method
    was used for the encryption? In regards to the hard drive
    containing these files, was it the same drive as your
    operating system or was it a separate drive?

    Hobo, Aug 20, 2007
  8. Familydavis

    Peter Foldes Guest

    What you need to do in that case is to plug your trouble Hard Drive as a Slave into another computer. Plugging it in as a slave in addition to the installed Hard Drive , you should be able to get to your files.
    Peter Foldes, Aug 20, 2007
  9. Familydavis

    Paul Adare Guest

    I think you've missed the point from the original post that the OP is
    referring to encrypted files. If these files were encrypted with EFS and
    the original encryption keys are lost with no archive or backup of the keys
    and no data recovery agent then the files are gone. None of the advice in
    this thread about taking ownership or moving the drive to another system
    are going to be of any help at all.
    Paul Adare, Aug 20, 2007
  10. Familydavis

    Peter Foldes Guest

    No I did not miss that. All I told the OP is that to get those files to show on his HD after he messed up with
    putting that HD into another computer as the main is to install it as a slave so he can access those encrypted files again on his HD.
    Peter Foldes, Aug 20, 2007
  11. Familydavis

    Paul Adare Guest

    Then you apparently don't know much about EFS. As I said, if as the OP
    states, those files are really encrypted and the encryption certificates
    and keys are gone, you're suggestion will have absolutely no impact on his
    inablilty to access those files. Those files are gone, period.
    Paul Adare, Aug 20, 2007
  12. Familydavis

    Pete Delgado Guest

    You have to take ownership of those files

    As Seth pointed out, even if you take ownership, you still cannot decrypt
    the files without either the original certificate or a valid recovery agent.

    If the original poster hasn't backed up his/her certificates or doesn't have
    a valid recovery agent, the only possible way to recover the files is to
    somehow use the original operating system partition on the disk from the old
    machine to boot Windows and then do what is needed to be able to access the
    files on the new machine.

    Being able to access the files on the new system isn't helpful if the files
    remain encrypted.

    Pete Delgado, Aug 20, 2007
  13. Familydavis

    zaint Guest

    I am kind of having the same problem but I want to take ownership of the
    DRIVE that was in my old system that was running XP and now i have it on my
    Vista box. I can not even get a doc file to open after i give myself the
    ownership it says denied. So i am thinking ,,,can I take ownership of the
    whole drive and how.
    Thanks so much
    zaint, Sep 1, 2007
  14. Familydavis

    Cal Bear '66 Guest

    Right click on the root of the drive in Computer, select Properties, then
    Security tab, and give your user account full control.
    Cal Bear '66, Sep 2, 2007
  15. Familydavis

    zaint Guest

    Tried that and I still can only get to some files and others i can not.
    zaint, Sep 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.