I have tried several times to get my Direct TV STB to work with WM

Discussion in 'Windows Media Center' started by pipe, Oct 3, 2008.

1. pipe

pipe Guest

I purchased an HP m8100N back in January and the tv card included is listed
    as Hauppauge Phantom Combo ATSC/NTS support.

I have Direct TV with STB Standard - D11-100. I can get signal to the PC
    with either S video cable or by setting the box to channel 3 or 4. I chose
    the S-video, but I have not been able to get the Windows Media remote to
    change the channels and match up to the guide that it successfully loads
    down. the Only way to change the channel is to use the Direct TV remote,
    which is OK, but not convenient at all for recording to PC as DVR. It is more
    like an old VCR without a cable splitter. Not what I want really.

I have gotten the setup to recognize the remote several times and several
    ways. It found it on its own, and I made it learn but no matter what I do,
    the Windows remote, never changes the channel and also, if you use channel
    up/down or guide in WMC, it only shows what the STB box is currently set for.

I called HP and they made me do a recovery which got me back exactly to the
    same lack of success that I achieved previously.

I read some previous posts where it sounded like someone got it to work, but
    it was really not very clear what the ultimate success was. I have run out of
    ideas.

I am fairly certain my hardware is set up properly and all parts seem to be
    functioning, the IR receiver, the blaster ( bug) in connection 1. The only
    thing I have not tried is putting the bug rightnext to the little lens, which
    I believe to be the ir receiver on the STB. HP told me to put it near the
    light on the STB box that flashes when you key using their remote. I didn't
    really think that made sense but did it anyway. I'll try moving it closer
    tomorrow, I believe someone had mentioned 5mm, but I am really not expecting
    that to be the solution. Sometimes the bug flashes a lot and sometimes not at
    all. I am not sure what the normal behavior of that is, though. That would be
    my only question. Can you purchase just the bug somewhere? Is that standard
    for all kits?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pipe, Oct 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. pipe

Jaime Guest

As you already suspect, try moving the bug around on the STB and (as others
    have found), sometimes it works better when it is set back a little from the
    sensor window. You might also try using a flashlight to see if you can tell
    exactly where the sensor is located on the STB (they are sometimes hard to
    see).

You can try changing the connecting port on the back of the IR Receiver, it
    should work on port 1, but it's worth trying the other.

Yes, you can buy the emitters separate, here for example:

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/pName/ir-emitter-for-media-center-ir-receivertransmitterI don't know if there is any difference between the blaster that comes witha standard MC remote and the flavor you may have received with your HP.--JamesOrlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida"pipe" <> wrote in messageI purchased an HP m8100N back in January and the tv card included islisted> as Hauppauge Phantom Combo ATSC/NTS support.>> I have Direct TV with STB Standard - D11-100. I can get signal to the PC> with either S video cable or by setting the box to channel 3 or 4. I chose> the S-video, but I have not been able to get the Windows Media remote to> change the channels and match up to the guide that it successfully loads> down. the Only way to change the channel is to use the Direct TV remote,> which is OK, but not convenient at all for recording to PC as DVR. It ismore> like an old VCR without a cable splitter. Not what I want really.>> I have gotten the setup to recognize the remote several times and several> ways. It found it on its own, and I made it learn but no matter what I do,> the Windows remote, never changes the channel and also, if you use channel> up/down or guide in WMC, it only shows what the STB box is currently setfor.>>> I called HP and they made me do a recovery which got me back exactly tothe> same lack of success that I achieved previously.>> I read some previous posts where it sounded like someone got it to work,but> it was really not very clear what the ultimate success was. I have run outof> ideas.>> I am fairly certain my hardware is set up properly and all parts seem tobe> functioning, the IR receiver, the blaster ( bug) in connection 1. The only> thing I have not tried is putting the bug rightnext to the little lens,which> I believe to be the ir receiver on the STB. HP told me to put it near the> light on the STB box that flashes when you key using their remote. Ididn't> really think that made sense but did it anyway. I'll try moving it closer> tomorrow, I believe someone had mentioned 5mm, but I am really notexpecting> that to be the solution. Sometimes the bug flashes a lot and sometimes notat> all. I am not sure what the normal behavior of that is, though. That wouldbe> my only question. Can you purchase just the bug somewhere? Is thatstandard> for all kits?>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jaime, Oct 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. pipe

Curious Guest

The light that flashes on a STB is not always next to the IR receiver. Use
    your DirecTV remote to find the exact location by moving it around on the
    front of the STB.

Curious, Oct 3, 2008
  4. pipe

pipe Guest

Jamie,

I would imagine it is the small little lens about 1/16 to 1/18 inch in
    diameter. So I will move it over there, but the bug has sticky tape on it so
    I guess if I place it next to that it should be OK, but then the flashing
    portion is not pointed toward the littel lens.

Thanks for the info and wish me luck. I'll let you know later. I really hate
    spending so much time on something that should be very simple.

Do you have that setup working?

without a cable splitter. Not what I want really.>> I have gotten the setup to recognize the remote several times and several> ways. It found it on its own, and I made it learn but no matter what I do,> the Windows remote, never changes the channel and also, if you use channel> up/down or guide in WMC, it only shows what the STB box is currently setfor.>>> I called HP and they made me do a recovery which got me back exactly tothe> same lack of success that I achieved previously.>> I read some previous posts where it sounded like someone got it to work,but> it was really not very clear what the ultimate success was. I have run outof> ideas.>> I am fairly certain my hardware is set up properly and all parts seem tobe> functioning, the IR receiver, the blaster ( bug) in connection 1. The only> thing I have not tried is putting the bug rightnext to the little lens,which> I believe to be the ir receiver on the STB. HP told me to put it near the> light on the STB box that flashes when you
    key using their remote. Ididn't> really think that made sense but did it anyway. I'll try moving it closer> tomorrow, I believe someone had mentioned 5mm, but I am really notexpecting> that to be the solution. Sometimes the bug flashes a lot and sometimes notat> all. I am not sure what the normal behavior of that is, though. That wouldbe> my only question. Can you purchase just the bug somewhere? Is thatstandard> for all kits?>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pipe, Oct 3, 2008
  5. pipe

Jaime Guest

No, I don't have those issue on my personal system, I just have direct coax
    plugged right into the tuner, so no IR blaster to worry about.

I have helped others with cable STB's and I always place it by the sensor
    window (whether or not that is near any LED's)

Jaime, Oct 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question